Check out some of my music

Thanks a lot! I appreciate your comments. I have a computer based setup and use Cakewalk Home Studio 9 for multitracking and Cool Edit 2000 and Sound Forge XP for audio editing and mastering. I use a Shure SM-58 mic, ART Tube MP mic preamp, ART Levelar compressor, and a Lexicon MPX 100 effects processor(just used some "chamber" reverb for the vox).
I use an Ovation Celebrity Deluxe acoustic. I just go from the Ovation into the ART Levelar compressor into the Lexicon(using reverb, maybe some delay), and then into my computer. I use a Soundblaster Live Platinum sound card. Other equipment I use: Line 6 Pod, ADA Mp-1 preamp, Mesa/Boogie power amp, Alesis QSR synth, Boss DR-5 drum machine, Boss GE-7 eq pedal, Fender Jazz Bass, Carvin and ESP guitars.

Once again, thanks, and I'll definitely check your mp3.com site too.

Man, that's a cool compliment in itself. I've listened to some of your stuff before on mp3.com and it kicks ass. However, due to geography, money, and time restraints it would probably be difficult. But if you have some ideas on how something like that could work let me know.

Hey Soulforlorn,

where did you get these nifty computer programs? Were they free? Can any of them be used for putting shit in loops? Do they include any effects (delay, phaser, etc)?

I'm looking for something with which to make some trancey dancy metal so I need to do lots of looping and have complete control over every aspect of sound and timing and I want to be able to splice drum tracks seemlessly together and such. This would be quite difficult on a regular 4 track or something. Your advice would be very much appreciated, thanks, :)

Satori

Sounds like Cakewalk Home Studio 9 would probably do about everything you need. It's the main program I use for recording.
It goes for about 60 bucks or so. I got mine at best buy or you can get it(even download it ) at www.cakewalk.com. It is a standard multi-tracking midi and audio editing program. Looping should be no problem. Just copy and paste. Should be no problems with timing, everything goes together seamlessly. You can set up the piano roll to be a drum editor if you use midi for your drums. Put a kick on beat 1, snare on beat 2, so on and so forth. That's how I do my drums. I completely program the drums in the drum editor, then that info goes to my drum machine via a midi cable. The drum machine actually is what makes the sound. As far as effects, Cakewalk has a few basic ones for audio: chorus, reverb, delay, etc. If you're recording with midi though, you'll have to record the midi track to an audio track before you can apply effects cause midi isn't sound it's just instructions for a sound module(synth, drum machine, etc.) to create the sound. If you want even more control and effects for audio, Cool Edit 2000 kicks ass. It's also about 60 bucks, downloadable from the internet(I could get the address for you).
Hope this helps. I guess to further answer your question I would need to know whether you want to record strictly using audio or audio/midi mix and what types of equipment you are using to create your sounds. I welcome any more questions.

Later

Originally posted by Soul Forlorn
Man, that's a cool compliment in itself. I've listened to some of your stuff before on mp3.com and it kicks ass. However, due to geography, money, and time restraints it would probably be difficult. But if you have some ideas on how something like that could work let me know.
65210706 , thats my icq number , we can talk about it on that , it's pretty easy actually , me and a few other guys from this board are doing a side project called mist , all done over the net . The reason i contacted you about this is because , I like your vocals alot , and your music , as you know , we don't have that great of vocals , so we could use you in our band , even if it's only for recording or whatever you want to do , most bands aren't close together anyway , so that wouldn't be a problem , my friend is gonna hook us up with demise records (borknagar,dying fetus) to record and distrubute our next album , it sounds like we have a chance . So if your still interested , were serious , so contact me , and if you don't have icq , e-mail us at sacredwars@hotmail.com .

Thanx very much
Glen O'Keefe
Injured guitarist for Wars of Winter and Mist

Hey Soul,

thank you a million times for being so helpful. As it is right now I have no equipment but I plan to get some soon, and I'm going to get cake walk very soon. I'm blown away that you can hook your drum machine up to calk walk, I didn't know things were so integrated and such.

Unfortunately I'm too ignorant of this stuff just yet to to know if I want to do audio or midi or both, my intent is to make a rave trance type of music and get gigs playing it at raves (for fun, not for musical exploration or integrity). I'm not actually into that sorta crap, I just see it as a way to get out and perform (I'm a whacky prog/jazz drummer with polyrhythmic ideas coming out of my ass). I plan to do a trance-metal hybrid and incoporate live kit and hand drums along with it to feed my percussive passions. I plan to give it a totally whacked and progressive edge so it won't suck quite as hard as most repetitive electronic crap, but I am taking a stance of 'selling out' on this project by doing what people (like my gf) would like to dance to/take e to. My inspiration remains firmly planted in prog metal. The real art element in it will be my whacky percussive stylings. You make recording sound so easy and that gives me a lot of encouragement. I've played in bands and used a 4 track before so I understand the premise and how to create things musically, I just need to know how to use the technology to get out what's in my head. I plan to use lots of bizarre sounds as well, and I'm hoping that it's easy to sample sounds from anywhere and bend them with effects to create bizarre shit. I still have no idea how I'm going to create bass and keyboard sounds, I'm hoping they are as easy to create and place as drum samples are. I will have more questions of you once I get rolling. If you can help relieve some of my ignorance at this point then I look forward to your advice.

I listened to one of your tunes, I'm very impressed! I'm a snob who typically doesn't like anything but your music struck a chord with me. I'm not just saying that to be nice or cuz you are helping me out, I mean it. I plan to listen to all your stuff soon. Are you doing the death voice naturally or is it an effect/bend? Anyway, it surpassed my expectations by a long shot, you really need to find some talented musicians and kick out some albums! :)

thanks again for your advice, you rule! Have a good long weekend...

Satori

Downloading (may take a while.... )
the descriptions certainly sounds like something im in the mood for.. :)

and Satori:
if you look into Cool Edit, Cakewalk and Cubase im certain you are going to be blown away by the possibilities and the simplicity of these programs.... it takes some hard work to use at first, can be very confusing, but once you get the hang of them its very simple.. (still takes a lot of time and effort, but nothing that doesnt seem manageable).

actually one of the hardest things is that these programs have so many options and plugins (effects and stuff) available, and you have so much control, that it can be overwhelming..

Life's easier when you have limitations. :)

And yes, bass and keyboard sounds are easy to create too... as long as you know how to write the notes down (in midi.. ).. and if you use Cubase you can get some VST instruments and make them sound really good (you write the stuff in midi, which triggers audio files on your computer instead of the shitty midi sounds)

Your gonna have heaps of fun, and make sure you show us all what you finish up with, it sounds interesting!

Originally posted by Hearse
Well this is an old thread :)
Ah yes, over a year old apparently.. hmm, some people revive some weird threads for little reason..

...hmm, some people revive some weird threads for little reason..

I'm glad someone did. I missed it the first time around. Would have been my loss. Thanks Novembers Paul. I listened to "As The Candle Flickers". I take it you're signed already. ;) Great work.

Holy shit! A compliment from the vocalist of one of my favorite bands of all time- Novembers Doom!!!!!! Please, everyone, do yourselves a favor and buy the entire Novembers Doom discography NOW!!! Thanks a lot Paul and everybody else! I really haven't had much time to get on the net lately and I about fell off my chair when I saw the email notifying me that there was a response to this ancient thread! Cheers everyone!

Downloaded one song...will download the rest later... :)

And now I lose hope - if only I could write a song like that. :cry:

Everytime I try and write something, I fall into the same sort of progression and the same traps. It all ends up crap. I always try and do something I'm not used to doing, but my damn fingers always end up travelling around the same damn frets...grrr :mad: :rolleyes:

Anyway, the song I have downloaded I really like, that is basically what I am saying, lol :) :headbang: