Check out this mix I'm working on... (BACKMASK)

Kazrog said:
I tried out the Peavey Triple XXX at my local music store a few minutes ago, and I loved it instantly. I have tried Krank, Mesa, Randall, 5150, etc. and I like this amp even more! I don't have to spend hours tweaking, it just sounds great!

So I'm selling my old Line 6 Flextone II-HD head, keeping my Vetta 4x12 cab (since it's got great sounding Celestions in it) and upgrading to the Peavey Triple XXX head. I'm getting it for $850 out the door with slip cover and foot switch. I bought a brand new SM57 mic today and I'm going to see if I can borrow a nice mic pre. I'll reamp all my guitars through this rig and post samples here soon!

Hey Shane (man, I remember you from the old, old Megadeth board, I think it was)

I think that the Triple XXX head will be able to get some awesome tones for your music. I had one for about 2 years before I finally sold it and I somewhat regret that decision, but I'm more than happy with my 5150 Mk I. Overall, its a killer amp for metal and people give it a ton of flack because of the goofy trucker girls, knob names, and amp name. With the proper tweaking and conservative usage of the gain knob you'll be set to create some heavy tones.

Thanks for your responses!

daemon097 - There wasn't time to do that, or resources to do it properly (isolation, etc.) When we do the full-length album version, I'll be using my new 6505+ (on its way still)

Enmity - Hey, I remember you too from the Megadeth BB! I don't really post there anymore... I've actually decided to get the 6505+ (5150 II) instead of the XXX. It is a bit more versatile sounding to me, but the XXX is a great amp.

kaomao - The POD XT guitars are the Criminal amp (5150 emulation.) I'm growing happier with my POD XT sound by the day. I think that once we get the vocals sitting in the right place in the mix, any problems hearing the guitars will go away.

Hi Kaz

Long storry short, my oppinion:
Vocals are a little bit to loud coz' of the voc sound itself!! ReEQ them and add a good Room/Reverb.
Bass: Compress the shit out of it! I often use a Pultec (UAD-1 card)
Toms: are to wide in the stereo image for my taste. Bring them a little closer to the center
Guitars: give them a bit more "punch + air +pan L/R"
Solo needs definitely more volume.
But after all, I really like this song. Good work!!!!

Frank'nfurter said:
Hi Kaz

Long storry short, my oppinion:
Vocals are a little bit to loud coz' of the voc sound itself!! ReEQ them and add a good Room/Reverb.
Agree 100% , definitely gonna do that!
Frank'nfurter said:
Bass: Compress the shit out of it! I often use a Pultec (UAD-1 card)
Yeah it might need a little special sauce... good suggestion...
Frank'nfurter said:
Toms: are to wide in the stereo image for my taste. Bring them a little closer to the center
I was thinking of trying that, something seemed to extreme about them.
Frank'nfurter said:
Guitars: give them a bit more "punch + air +pan L/R"
Not much I can do there. They're quad tracked, two of which are hard-panned, the other two are 80% panned. We're running the C4 on them and some API eq emulation. I think these sound fine when the vocals aren't going, which leads me to believe that once we fix the vocals, it will fix the guitar issues.
Frank'nfurter said:
Solo needs definitely more volume.
Yeah I agree now that I've slept on it. Guitar solo levels are always tricky.

Thanks for all your comments, some great suggestions!

Kazrog said:
kaomao - The POD XT guitars are the Criminal amp (5150 emulation.) I'm growing happier with my POD XT sound by the day. I think that once we get the vocals sitting in the right place in the mix, any problems hearing the guitars will go away.

this time they sound real!!!! very real!!!!
Uhm I think that I can buy this red bean :)! my v-amp sound weaker and it's really fake compared to the XT.
I think that I can give to the shop my v-amp and buy that red ass ahahaa

Maurizio

Hey Shane, have heard the song 5 times or more now. The more I hear them the more I love it, especialy the guitars. Very catchy tunes.
So I have to say, please take another good look to the tom sound. In the longer tom part they sound very muddy and doesn't fit the song anymore. It would be better to reEQ them so they sound more like little bassdrums. You know, more the sneap esque way. Second, decrease the volume of the Snare a little, just a notch! It's standing out a bit to much from the mix.

Sorry for the critiques, but I guess your thoughts go the same way, isn't it? ;)

Frank'nfurter said:
Hey Shane, have heard the song 5 times or more now. The more I hear them the more I love it, especialy the guitars. Very catchy tunes.
So I have to say, please take another good look to the tom sound. In the longer tom part they sound very muddy and doesn't fit the song anymore. It would be better to reEQ them so they sound more like little bassdrums. You know, more the sneap esque way. Second, decrease the volume of the Snare a little, just a notch! It's standing out a bit to much from the mix.

Sorry for the critiques, but I guess your thoughts go the same way, isn't it? ;)

I totally agree with you! I really appreciate your input, and everyone else's. It is helping me keep my sanity. I wrote this song in 2002, so there's been a few demos of it before now, and sometimes it's hard for me to keep perspective.

Right'o.

I agree about the toms being too wide in the image. I pan em to:

rack toms 30 or so left to center.

Then floor toms to about 50 on the right.

Try it and see.

I agree with frank on the snare too, just a weeny bit too high and the vocals are possibly a little loud for my taste too.

That said, it sounds pretty good allready, i wouldn't complain about that sound.

Hmm, it seems to me that there is some Antares Autotune on the vocals - is this the case?