Full song. Tear this solo project/mix apart for me plz. Thrash metal, melodic vocals

everdrone

mixing scientist n00b
Mar 30, 2009
www.myspace.com
http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7475842

This is for my original solo project. All bass / guitar / singing / mixing / producing / etc. was done by me. I have a DIY punk rock attitude for my demos. Any comments and constructive criticism on the mix/musicianship are much appreciated.

My modest equipment: Epiphone Limited Edition G-400 Electric Guitar with stock EMG81/85s, Rogue LX200B Series II Bass Guitar, ToneportGX, unmodified Ezdrummer/drumkit from hell, Reaper. Vocals: $7 Starpower SP-4C Nady mic, Voxango Voxformer. I mix using M-Audio Studiopro3 3.25 inch speaker monitors.

Common problems my mixes have are guitars need more mids, singing is out of tune, so hopefully not this song?? My song is as loud as other recordings I listen to; but I did not use the limiter/compression as much as current music uses, I don’t understand the limiter that well. While you’re here, what do you think? Any EQ issues, muddiness? Any feedback is appreciated, thanks.

The guitars don't actually need more mids lol. They need a lot more highs and more gain. Sounds like you recorded them through a pillow, and they sound really mono.

And of course, the stock EZD samples are pretty small sounding. That cheap nady mic isn't helping the vox either, which definitely need some work (pitch correction).

The entire mix sounds very muddy. The guitars don't have any presence and as Unavailable stated, they are not very wide in the stereo field. The drums are too quiet and are way too thin. The vocals need tuning but they also need more presence in the mix. The song itself isn't too bad, but the mix needs a lot of work imo.

awesome forum, Ill have to add whatever I can to other's threads...

The guitars don't actually need more mids lol. They need a lot more highs and more gain. Sounds like you recorded them through a pillow, and they sound really mono.

And of course, the stock EZD samples are pretty small sounding. That cheap nady mic isn't helping the vox either, which definitely need some work (pitch correction).

Thanks much for the feedback. I dont have time for vocal lessons these days but I may tune up with melodyne :)

Im not in love with my guitar tone - I recorded 7 rhythym tracks and panned 100% left right, 50% left right, and 3 tracks center...Ill have to work on this, thanks, not happy with the sound, thanks for the feedback

The entire mix sounds very muddy. The guitars don't have any presence and as Unavailable stated, they are not very wide in the stereo field. The drums are too quiet and are way too thin. The vocals need tuning but they also need more presence in the mix. The song itself isn't too bad, but the mix needs a lot of work imo.

Ill look into more cuts, filters, and shelves for getting rid of the mud, I might pan guitars out more. Thanks much for your insights, cause I wanna rock harder, cheers :headbang:

I hope those 3 tracks in the center were lead and not rhythm tracks. :zombie: (I haven't listened again so I can't remember)

If they're rhythm... drop 'em like they're hot. Also, Pan those two 50% tracks out to 80%. If you pan them too far in, they'll start clouding up the center of the mix which you need to be nice and open for bass, snare, kick, and vocals.

I hope those 3 tracks in the center were lead and not rhythm tracks. :zombie: (I haven't listened again so I can't remember)

If they're rhythm... drop 'em like they're hot. Also, Pan those two 50% tracks out to 80%. If you pan them too far in, they'll start clouding up the center of the mix which you need to be nice and open for bass, snare, kick, and vocals.

lolz they were rhythym tracks

your advice is frickin awesome :headbang:, I appreciate, I did not know this panning stuff :cool: