New Metal Project, Free Wavs for Mix Practice

Sorry guys, I really should've included a tempo track or a click or something...

If this helps:

Man, this is complicated, sorry man lol

Starting Tempo - 95 BPM 4/4 - 1 bar of silence before track starts
Bar 28 (around 34 seconds) - 152 BPM
Bar 108 (2:40 - Fade out into the instrumental bridge) - 125 BPM
Bar 136 (3:34 - Verse after instrumental bridge) - 180 BPM
Bar 168 (4:16 - Last chorus) - 152 BPM

If you guys want me to upload an audio click track, something to make it easier to set your session's up, let me know.

I have no idea what's going on guys, I've exported the midi about 20 times and reimported it and its not reimporting correctly. All tempos are correct except the first time. When reimporting, the session makes the first tempo 47.5, when its supposed to be 95. Weird thing it, the actual midi is quarter time of that. So its importing the midi as half time, but its playing it in quarter time. I've not experienced this before in Pro Tools. Any suggestions to figure this out?

Well shit, I have to go to work... I don't know whats going on, but I get back in about 4 or 5 hours. I'll try my absolute best to figure this out and get a fixed version up... I've never experienced this before with exporting midi in Pro Tools. I can't for the life of me figure this out. Every time i reimport it, everythings correct in the session except the intro bpm... pro tools is just acting crazy.

Also, on an entirely different note, I forgot to tell you guys that the reference mix I included in the session won't exactly line up with the other tracks.. as I exported the other tracks with some dead air in the beginning and I didn't export as much dead air into the final mix. So you might have to nudge it around to get the reference file to line up with the mix files.

Ok guys, could someone download this new version of the midi drums and let me know if its working?

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5129928/Oath to Anubis/Oath Additionals.zip

I think I figured it out. I had the session set for 95 bpm, but had the click playing back in double time (190 - someone else already mentioned this). But the weird thing is, in pro tools, there are 2 different ways to set resolution. One way works the way you'd expect, when you select 1/8th notes, it doubles the feel of the click, and selecting 1/2 notes halves the feel. Well, the other way to change resolution actually works in a weird way that is counterintuitive. I used the other way, so I actually had 95 bpm with 1/2 note settings, and in pro tools, it doubled the feel. But apparently this is the wrong way to change the resolution.. its complicated, I needed to use the other way which actually doubles and halves it correctly. Basically, pro tools thought I was trying to set the resolution differently.. it worked with the click sonically, but exporting and importing the drums added the change in a weird way since i used the wrong resolution change. Next time, I won't even mess with resolution (95 bpm double time), Ill just fucking use 190 like everyone else! I can't believe PT would have multiple ways of changing the resolution of BPM. Crazy, I've been using PT for 6 years and have not ever noticed this.

Please let me know if this fixes your issues or not, I felt awful today knowing I wasted people's time and bandwidth.

PS - Here's an article for any PT users:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=301558

First up!

https://copy.com/8oJpJtHjhS2Dt3F7

Had a lot of fun doing this one, awesome song and playing!

Damn BEEFY man! The gang vocals are powerful as hell! Would you mind if I showed my guitarist and vocalist? I definitely want permission.

Seems like you re-wrote some drum parts too, or maybe the midi notes didn't line up with the same drums... Either way, makes it interesting. I really enjoyed this version, haven't had the chance to check with monitors though.. I definitely will!

Do you play guitar? In my mix, its totally obvious that I cranked the drums... made them overly powerful and louder than the guitars.. because I'm a drummer. So I tend to favor percussion over guitars, but your mix has more guitar it seems... so just curious if you were a guitar player or not.

I think you mightve missed a few guitar leads, but nothing big deal since its all just practice :). Still a very cool take on the track. Really neat during the instrumental section. Thanks for sharing.

Also, if someone could teach me how to embed my soundcloud version into the post, that would be great.

Thanks for the kind words man! Definitely appreciated :) You have my permission to show the upcoming version (which I'm going to do when back home) I forgot to turn on the ampsim on the lead guitars haha. Glad to hear you're liking the gang vocals, tried my best to make them sound even more massive then they were, almost overdoing it, but it fits :)

Nothing has been rewritten on my end regarding drums, maybe some things changed slightly because I had to guess the tempo in the first part, but nothing sounded off really so I kept it.

Hahaha it's funny you say because listening back I think the guitars are a tad too loud, and drums can come up a cunthair (1-2 db's perhaps) probably mixing fatigue kicked in. I'm drummer myself as well :) But I tend to believe I'm pretty objective in my mixes :p

As far as soundcloud concerns I think there is a button which inserts the code in the 'advanced' bit when making a post

Edit : Here is Version Two for ya!

Thanks for the kind words man! Definitely appreciated :) You have my permission to show the upcoming version (which I'm going to do when back home) I forgot to turn on the ampsim on the lead guitars haha. Glad to hear you're liking the gang vocals, tried my best to make them sound even more massive then they were, almost overdoing it, but it fits :)

Nothing has been rewritten on my end regarding drums, maybe some things changed slightly because I had to guess the tempo in the first part, but nothing sounded off really so I kept it.

Hahaha it's funny you say because listening back I think the guitars are a tad too loud, and drums can come up a cunthair (1-2 db's perhaps) probably mixing fatigue kicked in. I'm drummer myself as well :) But I tend to believe I'm pretty objective in my mixes :p

As far as soundcloud concerns I think there is a button which inserts the code in the 'advanced' bit when making a post

Edit : Here is Version Two for ya!

I try to be objective also, but I guess I just like my drums loud and punchy.. Maybe there is some bias there :)

You were correct in saying the intro was 190. It exported at 1/4 time for some odd ass reason.

And thanks, I'll check the newest version. :)

In regards to what I thought were drum changes, I think the midi for my high tom translated to cymbal hits on your end.. Whichever drum VI you're using must've taken that high tom hit and used it for cymbal hits. That's all I think.

Edit: I checked it out.. very awesome man. I think you have an overall beefier mix than mine.. its also seems more RAW, like a Suecof production.. where things are more up-front and gritty. Thanks again for the share. I don't ask people for people to share, so when they do.. I usually enjoy hearing the new take on it. Yours also seems darker than mine, which isn't a problem, just different mixes styles. I suffer from wanting to brighten my mixes up too much.. Then I hear some big name producers' mixes, like Machines and Suecof, and some of their mixes are dark I realize it doesn't matter. As long as it sounds good.. then its good. So I need to break away from overly brightening my mixes. Anyway, thanks for the share. I'm sure my guitarist and vocalist would love to hear a different version from the one they've heard 2,000 times :)

MIDI is working fine now.
Thanks for uploading.
Decided to have a go at this while I was waiting for a DDP master to process and upload.
Really good track. Reminds me of apostasy era behemoth
Used 5153 50wt to Rectifier cab left and Marshall MF400 cab right.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2133088/Necromancer_TMS.mp3

Hey man, I just checked on my phone at work, I'll have a better listen when I get home. Very awesome. Did you actually re-amp these? Or are those impulses? Remember, I'm not a guitarist, so this is probably something basic that I should know lol, but I have not a clue. Anyway, thanks for the share man, I'll definitely take a second, better listen to it when I get home from work and post again :)

Could the two guys who did remixes tell me what virtual drummer they're using? Both the mixes, from two different people... Have the same midi issue of mis-triggering the wrong drum (in this case, a high Tom is being translated to a cymbal hit). Not that I'm complaining, I just am wondering if it's another issue on my end and want to resolve it if it is. When I imported the midi file that I fixed into a new session and loaded up superior drummer 2 standard avatar kit, it played fine.. But the kits other people are using is causing a weird cymbal hit in the middle of fills... So just curious, what kits are you using? I'd like to demo those kits and see if the issue occurs on my system. Thanks. I just want to make sure I didn't make another error exporting and that the issue is out of my hands.

Give it a quick try between classes. Varely any automation and drums need work but I really like how the guitars came out. I'd appreciate any input!

Last edited by a moderator:
Using EZD2 which I thought would map the same as SD2 :-/

I used Steven Slate Drums and Metal Machine (loaded in Superior Drummer)

Interesting, I don't own any other drum VIs, but both of those VIs seem to have midi set up differently than SD2, but in the same way. Not that its a huge deal, just weird that the whole kit of midi would transfer over flawlessly, but one instrument. Anyway, thanks guys.

Give it a quick try between classes. Varely any automation and drums need work but I really like how the guitars came out. I'd appreciate any input!

Very awesome man. The mix seems very separated. Everything can be heard in their own respective zones. Vocals are much louder than my mix, very upfront. I did hear a few weird glitchy sounds in the 2nd pre chorus, but its late and my ears could be playing weird tricks on me. Around 2:15 or so. Hopefully its not an error of my bouncing. Actually, I hear it in both pre-chorus sections. Its hard to tell what it is as its either super quiet, or not even there lol. It mightve been something in the original mix I didn't realize what there.

Anyway, I enjoyed the little instrumental section. Everyone who has mixed it has had a TOTALLY different feeling section there. Its awesome.

Thanks for the share man, I appreciate it. I'll take some more listens to everyone's mixes and do some more commenting. :)

Glad people are digging it enough to consider using it for practice :)

Last edited by a moderator:
This song is so fucking good!

Brilliantly written and recorded :kickass:

Wrapping up my mix tonight. Thanks for sharing this with us bro!