Another oldschool death metal song for you to mix.

RaNk

Mar 28, 2010
Following up the 'Mixing time, oldschoolish death metal song.' thread, here's another song from the same project for you to mix. Same as before, tracks included aren't final versions. Just for testing, so they're not perfect and left+right guitars are still played 'exactly' the same for now. Also, I included an improvised solo this time, but it's no raw DI because I haven't got that. The quality of the rhythm DI's is hopefully better this time, because it's not done with the Line6 interface but an M-Audio MobilePre MkII and quite new strings. Tempo of the song is 196bpm, SD2 mapping. Oh, I also included the drums as a Wav file for those that can't or don't want to use the Midi file.

Here are the stems:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19759737/02-Stems.rar

And here's the latest mix I got:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19759737/02-TestMix-111007.mp3

Have fun mixing. :) I really appreciate any feedback on my own mix too, and also on the quality of the DI's (e.g. are they recorded too loud?).

Yeah old Cannibal Corpse times :hotjump:

You should change the bass, the bass player or whatever. It's almost impossible to make it sound decent and never follows the guitars :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Cool mix, I like it. Would be better if Soundcloud quality was a little less cloudy. ;) For the rest it sounds good to me. But the solo is sloppy so it would be better to not make it sound that clear. :D

You should change the bass, the bass player or whatever. It's almost impossible to make it sound decent and never follows the guitars :lol:

Haha, nah man it just takes some time getting used to it and getting the right technique to mix it. ;) Seriously, I like it because it's different than the guitars for most of the time.

Redone my own mix also, little experiment with 2 cab's.

So, i did a very unusal approach considering my usual mixing-style... it sounds really dull and cloudy, like you're standing in the rehearsal-room in front of the band

Last edited by a moderator:
That's indeed unusual Lon, indeed a rehearsel-ish sound. But still a well balanced mix, that's for sure. I can still pick out any instrument very clearly. How did you do this, is most of that 'rehearsel effect' on the master buss or is it through the entire mix?

(Updated my own mix as well, had to do it because the loudness thing got out of hand, it started to sound very harsh.)

its in the whole mix, at first i really wanted to do a "character"-mix, but i went a bit overboard with it and decided to just go for it, i think the main thing in my mix is that i got every sound up to "decent" but not up to "polished", a few things sound better than in a rehearsal space because they have to (bassdrum is audible, ride is too loud), and other stuff like the bass-guitar glue or the guitarsound itsself is very "rehearsal"-space (dull guitars, bad stereoseparation, bass and guitar only half interlocking), and i mixed the bass pretty lowmid-heavy to get the timbre of the fretless (usually i cut lowmids heavily and my low-end staging would be bass > bassdrum > guitars > bass dirt > guitar dirt, this time its alot more reality-like)

And ofcourse a lot of roommic from superior.

I feel the mix works very well for the takes, because there are a lot of rough spots in the tracks, they become very obvious when combined with a (perfectly playing) drumsampler, i slightly humanized the midifile and aimed for a natural drumsound, so the blastbeats feel fluent (if the snare and bassdrum levels are to unrealisticly balanced and the snare is too snappy i feel the blastbeats start sounding like a broken machinegun and not like a fluent motion of hits).

Thanks Lon for your explanation. Yesterday on second thought I should have known that it's not only done on the master because the effect is too obvious for that. Still it's a nice concept to mix like this, something different for a change, I like that.

I really enjoyed your last track.
Should be able to get to this next week.
I quickly re-amped the guitars through Triple Recto>Recto cab>57>API as the rig was set up for tracking.
Here are the rhythm tracks if anyone wants to use my recto re-amped tracks.
Single file with the guitars hard panned left/right.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2133088/Rank Rectos.wav

That's a good mix Fredoreo, good balance and nice drums. If you don't mind, I did a little 'quick master' myself.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19759737/Another oldschool_fredoreo_V1_master.mp3

Thanks for the mesa track mickrich. Looking forward to your mix if you find the time and will to do it. Although the drums were a little overpowering on the previous song (maybe also because it was mastered pretty loud), I liked the mixes. Especially the Marshall 8100 haha. I really liked the higher midtones on that. Just gave it a quick go with your tracks. Didn't change too much on my own settings for the rest. It's a really dark sound, quite hard to mix in for me (also because of the nature of my own mix of course). Had to tame the lowend alot (probably overdone it). You can clearly hear the rest of the mix isn't suited for that guitar tone, I'll try and play around a little with it.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19759737/02-TestMix-110826_mickrich-recto.mp3

I think that mix with the recto tracks sounds much better than your first mix. Not as fizzy overall.
I tend to record the recto pretty dark (to avoid the famous recto fizz) then wide boost the high mid during mix.
If you boost the guitars 3-6k on your mix it should sound great. Pull a bit of 600-800 too to get rid of boxiness.

I will track the 8100 for you next week. I have just finished 14 days straight on an album but am off next week until Thursday so I should have time.

After listening a few more times, I think you're right about the guitars. Mine sound indeed much more fizzy, but I never realized that because I got used to it. After some time trying to get it right, every other guitar sound started to sound too 'dull' to me. It's an eyeopener for me, and I will try what you said (boosting the higher mids in the mix on a darker tone). Also, I'm gonna experiment dialing my own tone in with less fizz. Thanks for the tips, and I'm looking forward to hearing the 8100 again if you'd do that. It's a nice amp, I wish I had one. Actually, I have the Valvestate 8080 combo, but it's in really bad condition and it hasn't got a speaker output. I should fix it maybe, and make a speaker output, and play around with it a little. Well, thanks again, I'll post something updated tommorow or so, you can take a listen if you want. I appreciate your help.

*edit*
I did a few tweaks to the mix with your tracks: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/19759737/02-TestMix-110827_mickrich-rectoV2.mp3

Also updated my own mix in the starting post. I think it's better now, less fizzy, hope it's not too boxy.

Here's my attempt. Tried to make this as brutal as fuck.

Drums: SD2.0 Metal Foundry w/ misc tweaks across the board. Humanised the drums a bit, sent the buss to paralell comp

Bass: Split in Two - DI > Compressor > LP Filter then DI > Podfarm running one of the Ampeg Mods with a Sansamp before it for the Grit > HP Filter. Bass Buss compressed.

Guitars: Overloud TH2 100L/R > A Couple EQs for HP and some sculpting

Lead: Guitar Rig 4 > Compressor

Vocals: Guitar Rig 4 with a custom patch I made for vocals to give them some distortion grit > Compressor > EQ

2-bus: SSL Comp > C4 > Izotope Ozone 4 [EQ, Harmonic Exciter, Stereo Imager] > Voxengo Elephant

Mix took about 3 1/2 hrs

I will link to the 320kbps mp3 on my server because, as RaNk already pointed out above, Soundcloud makes stuff sound cloudy, and I thought this when I tried it yesterday.

http://www.shaggysi.com/tunes/RANKMIX2.mp3

Great sounding mixes micrich, sounds really heavy, I like it. I like the 8100 now even more than in the previous song. Less gain it seems, sounds tighter. Thanks for the guitar track also! I'm gonna play around with it for sure. I started making my own guitars sound heavier also, less fizzy. I like it, it's better this way. Still have a long way to go though to get a really good sound, but I'm starting to understand better how it works (I think).

Your mix sounds also nice shaggysi0, it's improved greatly over the first song. Only thing is the guitars sound a little fizzy, but the mix is quite well balanced otherwise. Solo isn't very good but it would still sound nicer if it's on the right spot. :p