I desperately need help with levels on this mix (full deaththrash'n'roll song w vox)

Kromann

Doeds Groed & Floede
Aug 11, 2006
Denmark
Good evening everyone - so much metal knowledge in here, it's insane :worship: I need fresh ears on this mix - I'm in Norway the next six months and my monitors are back in my home in Denmark so all I got with me is my laptop and some cheap earphones and I'm desperately trying to mix this track. It's my second mix ever, also the second time I destroy my vocal chord doing vox (sorry about the accent) . All in all I'm ok with the overall sound right now - but I'm worried that when I hear the track on speakers the balance/levels between gits, leads, bass, vox and drums will be all different. So I'm hoping very much that some of you guys could give the track a listen and give me some feed back on that.

Here's the track, deaththrashy rock'n'roll stuff:

(edit: updated song, same as posted in post #19)

Ghostcell: Born a Quitter

Any comments will be very much appreciated.

Dude i think everything sounds amazing....I wouldn't change a thing....maybe add a second take of vocals to spread them out a bit, and ...something with the snare....Just a matter of taste...
Other than that.....Awesome.....!!

Sounds amazing dude!

Please share info:yow:

This is were i wish my mixes were and for not even using monitors this blows my mind. Let alone only your second mix ever you said. I almost think its time for me to find a new job! :guh:

yeah, sounds really nice...if i could mix like that on only 2 tries i would be satisfied

Sounding pretty awsome dude!

The only thing I'd consider changing (MAYBE) is to have the vocals and leads come up just a tinny bit, not alot, or maybe just inject a tad more mids into them to cut abit more, though I understand the creative idea of having them so scooped.

Thanks a lot everybody! Sure means a lot to hear that things aren't as bad as I feared.

I'll try and see if boosting the leads and vox a bit / adding a bit more mid would be better. Thx.

Here's info on the bass sound - everything I have with me here on the laptop are exports from my earlier projects (on med HD back home) so I'll have to rely on my (at times seriously impaired) memory:

Bass tone

Here's what I've done to the bass, I find that this will give me the kind of growly bass tone i like:
1.ESP-bass recorded line in via the firepod, totally clean, no distortion/gain whatsoever to maintain a tight low end thats not "woobly"
2. Duplicate the track and rename those "bass top" and "bass bottom" (or anything else that'll help you better)

3. Bass bottom: goes through the amplitube2 bass preamp, gain and bass 12 o'clock, next a limiter (voxengo elephant2) limit to taste, then waves C4, andys preset (trust me it works on bass too) and the EQ cut at 400hz and LPF at 8k (cut away anything over 8k) in my case a slight boost at around 50hz fits my bass and a midcut around 250hz

4. Bass top: First HPF at 250hz (cut away anything below 250hz) send it through amplitube2 I use the amp "modern tube lead" at gain 4-5. middle all the way down, bass 12 o'clock. HPF at 1k (cut away anything below 1khz.) comp with voxengo marquis comp and apply chorus (just so much that you get a feeling that a stereo field is created - not so much that the bass sounds like its played with chorus fx) to the rest for a wider stereoimage of the bass.

5. create a bass group where you send both bass bottom and bass top. Limit to taste (I limit the bass quite a lot, dont like the bass moving too much on the meter..., usually with voxengo elephant 2).

I'll try and put something together about the guitars and get back to you asap.

Cheers! More comments will be much appreciated

Cheers for the detailed reply Kromann... I know "TheStoryteller" does something similar and your mix sounds similar to his! So it must be a good technique.

Well done again!

Hi

very nice mix.. kick ass
the drum sound is very upfront and still had a lot of room...really like it :headbang:
I'm really interested to know about your drum stereo placement (pan/reverb) and how you approche the drum in this mix...

any limiter on the guitars stem ?

4. apply chorus (just so much that you get a feeling that a stereo field is created - not so much that the bass sounds like its played with chorus fx) to the rest for a wider stereoimage of the bass.

Now was this just a mono chorus plugin or did you send to a stereo buss with chorus plug on it?

Now was this just a mono chorus plugin or did you send to a stereo buss with chorus plug on it?

The bass was exported from a seperate project as a stereo file so I imported it into the final project and added the chorus there as a plugin on the stereo track. Sending the bass to a stereo group and adding the chorus there should work just as fine I guess.

I'll export some bass and upload it asap.

Cheers and thanks a lot for the feed back!

There's two snare samples in there that sound different from the rest, higher pitched I guess. They kind of threw me off when I first heard them.

Nice mix otherwise!

There's two snare samples in there that sound different from the rest, higher pitched I guess. They kind of threw me off when I first heard them.

Nice mix otherwise!

Thx! Yeah I know what you mean. It's really velocity 100 DFHS multisamples all of it so ehhh... Thomas Haake is to blame for those.... Perhaps I can identify them and simply quarantine those samples. Hmmm. Or just leave them and call it "charming and dynamic variations" hehehe. I'll see if I can get rid of them first though :)

Here's an updated version with higher solo level and more distinct ride sound, still thinking about that snare thing: HERE

The bass was exported from a seperate project as a stereo file so I imported it into the final project and added the chorus there as a plugin on the stereo track. Sending the bass to a stereo group and adding the chorus there should work just as fine I guess.

I'll export some bass and upload it asap.

Cheers and thanks a lot for the feed back!

any chance of uploading the bass track? :cool: