Check out this review --- You gotta just laugh

jjmannford

Sep 17, 2002
Lutherville, MD
Visit site
ENCHANT- TUG OF WAR
Inside out Music
<A class=item target=_blank>http://www.insideoutmusic.com
Judging by the cover of the disc, one would presume it would be on the heavier side of the dial but once you put it into the CD player, you will quickly realize that this is as close to adult contemporary as they come. O.k., if you are over the age of 40, you might gain some pleasure from this disc but if you don't fit those requirements, this package will do nothing for you. The singer sounds like the chap from the band Chicago. Even more disturbing is the usage of synthesizer that stains virtually every single track on the disc. All they need now is some ordinary guitar licks backed by a rock driven beat... wait a second, they do have that as well. Perhaps this is a former Chicago cover band disguising themselves as a legitimate act. It could be entertaining to see them do a rendition of the song "Stay the night" but that would be the only reason to even bother listening to them. Even by the adult contemporary standards of music, this offering lacks even the basic components of a rock CD.
Reviewed By: Brodie Holmen

It is from the www.eastcoastromper.com Looks like an alt punk rock page. Oh well, not exactly the target Enchant audience.

Gotta laugh...

Sheesh...I've already ordered two copies of Tug, but now I'm not so sure...I mean...the punk rockers are EXCELLENT judges of music, right?

Well...I won't cancel yet, but if I hear a bad review from a rapper or a pop country singer, that'll be it for me.

;)

Oh well I guess we better hang it up :(

How can we go on guys? My world is shattered!

I don,t think I can play anymore do to this amazing review from such an accomplished and well known Jack Ass ( I mean critic :)

Hey Brodie bite me! you suck!

Reactions: |ngenius
ebass said:
Hey Brodie bite me! you suck!

NP: Stay the Night - Chicago
ROFL, ED!!!!!! Wait a sec, I know I have a copy of Chicago II around here someplace, LOL.....

The Brodie dude is quite a goof -- he also reviewed Circle II Circle's new CD and kept calling the band Circle Two Circle!!! Hello, dude!!! Then he said it encompassed nu-metal! Gimme a break!!!!

Tug is a top notch, awesome CD! :D

What's up on the main site, though? ....seems everyone can now download a clip of the incredible Irish tune Tug O'War! :D

"Make Me Smile"

Chicago? Christ...
I just got TOW and the Wounded Spec.Ed. from Laser's edge...Good stuff. I really like TOW's booklet, lots of info, great layout, but why does Doug O. look so angry? Must be the East Bay water...

--dan

Good One Dan

Hey I think Doug was actually messing around, we really don,t take oursleves as serious as one might think :) He looks pretty mean hah! Almost as mean as Ted in that other pic! Look like someone stole his lunch :) Gott love it!

Man just in case anyone was worried we decided we might be able to overcome that review and some how carry on even though that guy is just so well known and such an acomplished critic? what a blow:( how will we prevail now :)

I think somehow we will find a way?

Sean's seething glare on the one picture is classic.

The Stay the Night talk made me think back to the video for the song. Anybody remember that one?? That was a classic. Back in days when MTV actually played videos.

Later

jjmannford said:
Sean's seething glare on the one picture is classic.

The Stay the Night talk made me think back to the video for the song. Anybody remember that one?? That was a classic. Back in days when MTV actually played videos.

Later
Yo Jim! Although I vaguely remember that tune from Chicago (although I really do have a copy of Chicago II someplace AND I vividly remember the days when MTV played videos!!), the "Stay the Night" I recall is from a singer/songwriter named Jane Olivor - who, btw, I don't think ever had a video on MTV! Anyone else ever hear of her? I doubt it!

Wow, this has really turned into an off-topic thread...but considering what the original topic was (a bashing of our beloved Enchant) I don't feel bad at all about it!

Cheers!

God I love this song is just Rocks!

Can,t stop listnening to it?

Jim, Mare you guys are killing me! that was one os the worst videos ever? I HAVE to get a copy :) Doug and I were remembering it and rolling on the ground thinking about it? Damn good knowledge of MTV and stuff guys!

Jim Sean does look like he is in the glare hah! I will give him a bad time at re-hearsal in about an an hour :)

Well, guys, I perfectly understand why your world is now shattered and your passion for music has ended, since that accurated critic destroys everything you always believed in. It also destroyed what I believed in. And what my dog believed in, too. Everything seems darker now, and I can't even maintain my verticality (regardless the fact I'm sitting comfortably on my chair right now), the world's plainly staggering...

Hey, just a moment. What about a change of band? Yeah, it's the solution you were looking for, just start a folkloric band, I can play the trumpet, Doug can use a mandolina and... uhmmm... Ed, you can play... flute?

Well, well, seriously, I was told that Enchant were a bad fake of Dream Theater, a man clearly puzzled by songs that don't repeat the same structure over the years and it's a bit complex. The critics depends on everyone's tastes, and we can't but laugh when someone who despises the progressive rock/metal starts writting reviews about it. Laughing is good, after all. :)

|ngenius.

|ngenius said:
Hey, just a moment. What about a change of band? Yeah, it's the solution you were looking for, just start a folkloric band, I can play the trumpet, Doug can use a mandolina and... uhmmm... Ed, you can play... flute?

LOL, |ngenius --- yep laughing is good for the soul! And I don't know about Ed, but I played the flute for years --- but that was years ago! Picked one up in a music store about three months ago, but that was as far as it went - haven't puffed thru one since about 6th grade....and that was a LONG time ago! So gee, maybe I should try it again, huh? Yeah, we boardies can put together "a change of band" and put out an Enchant tribute, how does that sound? No doubt anyone hearing me play the flute would go into fits of convulsive laughter, so much so that we might have to call 911 due to cracked ribs!!!

ROFLMAO!!!
supergrin.gif

mgirishfan said:
Yeah, we boardies can put together "a change of band" and put out an Enchant tribute, how does that sound?

Sure, but I've got certain requirements. I'm the official trumpetist, and we ought to cover Chicago's "Stay The Night", as a personal need. If you accept my conditions... go ahead. :D

Who wanna join us? :p

|ngenius (The laughter therapy works!!)

While this review is utter rubbish, I have to admit that I was disappointed by this album. I'm a long time Enchant fan, each album was a great progression from the last album, Blink of an Eye was really awesome. Maybe my hopes were too high, but other than some moments here and there (the bass is much easier to pick out and very cool), this sounded like outtakes from Break to me.

While the album has grown on me as all Enchant albums do, this is probably my least favorite. I know how hard it is to make an album and the sweat that goes in to it, but several of my friends that are also Enchant fans all had the same opinion. Doesn't mean I still wouldn't love to see the band live though.

okay... ummm... that was a very interesting review? :tickled:

I'm betting dollars to donuts that Brodie is either a.) Under 21 b.) listens to mosty pop/punk/emo c.) writes for an indie rag d.) all of the above!

:lol: :lol:

okay... I think I was pointing out the obvious? And Ed, your comments to this review are PRICELESS!!! :tickled: I love it! ...and I happen to LOVE "Stay The Night" by Chicago as well! cover that sucker... or we will if you don't!
:kickass:

I so want to be Peter Cetera on the hood of that car in the video! :lol:

Yeah, it's not a fair review, especialy one that is going
to be bias... but I have to only laugh at all the inaccuracies and comparisions used. It's only obvious that this guy has a limited listening taste and isn't old enough to know better. Chicago? mmm... I hear some Chicago in Enchant's music... but I'd put my money on Tears for Fears, mid-80's Rush & Yes, and Marillion instead. :D

\m/
Dustin