Chicago 7/6 Review & Setlist

GuitarShredder

The sun sets forever
Oct 18, 2001
Illinois
Before the show started I got to meet In Flames at Metal Haven. We seemed to wait in line for nearly two hours (and it rained really hard part of the time). But we finally got in, and got stuff signed.

Anyways, we managed to get into the Vic fairly quickly. The Vic really isn't the greatest place for a metal concert. There are lots of chairs and a huge balcony, but a very small floor space.

Unearth came on soon after, and a lot of the crowd really seemed to be into them. I really don't like them...they're good for a hardcore band, but that isn't really saying much. A very straightforward and boring performance. It seems as though everyone rants and raves about how good the lead guitarist is, but his few solos never really cut through. The only cool part was when he did the sweeps behind his head.

Chimaira came on next. I wasn't a fan of these guys, and I'm still not. They're good at what they do...which is playing nu-metal/metalcore. They had a very strong stage presence. Unfortunately I cannot say the same for the music. And for God's sake..."I hate everyone" has to be the worst chorus ever.

Soilwork came on next. Their sound was decent, but sometimes things wouldn't cut through as much as they should have. They played pretty much what I expected...no surprises. The crowd didn't seem all that into them, they probably got the least crowd response of all the bands. But its Soilwork and they played a very good set overall.

Soilworks set:

The Flameout (opener)
Figure Number Five
Needlefeast
(In no order)
Light the Torch
Follow the Hollow
The Bringer
As We Speak
Rejection Role (closer)

Needlefeast, Follow the Hollow, and The Bringer were their best.

Next came In Flames. I must say, In Flames surprised me. I heard all sorts of stuff about how they're only playing new stuff. But I learned that the new stuff doesn't sound half bad live, and in addition played a fair amount of old material. What most impressed me was their sound. Everything was mixed perfectly. Their playing was nearly flawless, and the harmonies on Moonshield were incredible. Overall...superb!

In Flames set:

Cloud Connected
Clayman
Watch Them Feed
(In no order)
Pinball Map
Bulletride
Behind Space
Trigger
System
Moonshield
Only for the Weak
Episode 666
Drifter
Black & White
Coerced Existence
Scorn
Gyroscope
Colony (closer)

Highlights: Cloud Connected (because of the crowd response), Clayman, Moonshield, Episode 666, Coerced Existence, Gyroscope

Oh, In Flames didn't wear all white. They pretty much wore typical metal stuff.

have returned from the In Flames show.

such a nice set list. :) some dandies! here it is in order

Cloud Connected
Clayman
Watch
Episode 666
Moonshield
Scorn
System
Bullet Ride
COerced Coexistence
Gyroscope
Only For The Weak
Drifter
Trigger
Behind Space
Pinball Map
Black & White
Colony

we got Scorn(ed)! :muahahaha: :headbang:

no pics for me though. couldn't sneak in the cam. not that i didn't try (TWICE!) :bah:

oh well. there's just this one of moi all sweaty and spent with my ticket stubbie (the aftermath). :p

sweaty.jpg

Ahhndearz said he loves the Chicago audience (heh) and wanted to take us all with them on the rest of their tour in another BIG bus. :lol:

great show!

yes overall it was a good show last night. Unearth i thought kicked ass. Guitarist is very entertaining to watch. love their shit. Chimaira was alright but they had a HORRIBLE sound. i saw them last May and i thought they sounded better then. Soilwork was pretty good too but pretty much used the same shit as chimaira so they had pretty much the same sound. but it was pretty good and i thought the clean vocals came out good.
In Flames came on and they had the best sound of the night. amazing job by the band. they seemed to be really pleased by the response they got. good show!

Talkin about the newer stuff sounding good live had anyone noticed the similar production between R2R and st. anger? The guitars are extremely boggy and the drums both sound awful in both. I think if R2R wasnt so poorly produced the songs wouldnt sound that bad IMO.

In Flames did sound the best. I thought they weren't loud enough though. Where was Clad in Shadows? I thought that was on the setlist. The new songs sounded good live. Behind Space was the best of the set. I would have liked more old stuff. Could have done without Pinball Map, Only for the Weak.

Hey guitarshredder were u the kid with THE HAUNTED shirt with all the preppie and nu-metal kids?

P.S.: I met both bands and got all my shit signed which was great and i also got bjorn's guitar pick which he threw in the crowd.

In Flames was awesome last night. Soilwork's guitars were way to quiet and it doesn't help that i don't like them much anyway, i've never been a Chimaira fan but i thought they did a good job, and i only got to see the last couple Unearth songs cause we got there kind of late.

Like shredder said, In Flames sounded great, and played great, good setlist too. Awesome show, \m/\m/

Ah yeah, that show was pretty damn good! The sound may not have been the best, but it was excusable because of the line-up. Soilwork definitely sounded alot better last time when they came with Hypocrisy, probally because I think the Metro is alot better for these type of concerts than the Vic, but that's just my opinion, I guess. However, the only thing that really sucked about that day was waiting the huge downpour for about a half-hour and getting ripped off by these two assholes my friends had me buy tickets for, so I ended up selling them for ALOT LESS :bah: .....$15 dollars for two tickets altogether to some guy wearing an Insane Clown Posse shirt....So if you are reading this "guy in Insane Clown Posse shirt", you may have really shitty taste in music but I hope you had a good time and eventually grow out of your stupid Clown phase :D.

Jester Jake said:
Hey guitarshredder were u the kid with THE HAUNTED shirt with all the preppie and nu-metal kids?

P.S.: I met both bands and got all my shit signed which was great and i also got bjorn's guitar pick which he threw in the crowd.

Yeah, I wore my Haunted shirt at the signing, and standing in line...but once I got inside I bought a soilwork shirt and wore that.

But yeah...I was hanging out with some preppy/nu-metal kids. :tickled:

Heh, Soilwork really doesn't play a long set. Anyway, sounded like the concert was awesome.

I think Unearthed were quite boring. Every song started the same and all of em in the middle had the typical nu metal guitar riff. dada dada dadadada da da dada Gets old quick. The guy with the "Eat a dick" sticker was amusing. I was hoping to see him fall over or see his guitar go flying.

Chimaira were cool. I dont like the electronics crap they had. The guy was pitchshifting the vox in places to hit the low notes. The bassist was kickass. Severed sounded really good. Anyone notice they had 3 cameras filming everything too?

Soilwork. WOOHOO Finally got to see em! Kicked ass. Speed looked funny with that red racing shirt. The guitars werent even loud enough at the start then they gradually got louder. Soundguy really fucked up their sound!! Happy I got to see em.

In Flames kicked ass as everyone has said. Dont need to go on there.

I was the big guy in the balcony headbanging like a wild heathen.

Did anyone else notice the guy wearing the BLS Berzerkers shirt in the balcony that looked EXACTLY like Zakk Wylde? I know of 2 other peoiple who said that it looked just like him.

Iced In Flames said:
I think Unearthed were quite boring. Every song started the same and all of em in the middle had the typical nu metal guitar riff. dada dada dadadada da da dada Gets old quick. The guy with the "Eat a dick" sticker was amusing. I was hoping to see him fall over or see his guitar go flying.

Chimaira were cool. I dont like the electronics crap they had. The guy was pitchshifting the vox in places to hit the low notes. The bassist was kickass. Severed sounded really good. Anyone notice they had 3 cameras filming everything too?

Soilwork. WOOHOO Finally got to see em! Kicked ass. Speed looked funny with that red racing shirt. The guitars werent even loud enough at the start then they gradually got louder. Soundguy really fucked up their sound!! Happy I got to see em.

In Flames kicked ass as everyone has said. Dont need to go on there.

I was the big guy in the balcony headbanging like a wild heathen.

Did anyone else notice the guy wearing the BLS Berzerkers shirt in the balcony that looked EXACTLY like Zakk Wylde? I know of 2 other peoiple who said that it looked just like him.
Only the People has a cool In Flames sounding riff in the middle, its hardly Nu-Metal :bah:

That was you? hah, awesome

I saw that guy too, he looked exactly like Zakk Wylde o_O

Soilwork: i luv 'em but they didn't sound too good from where i was standing, which was behind the soundboard. :err:

oup. looks like i omitted System from the set list. place System after Scorn. actually IF should insert EGONOMIC in that spot. :D

*goes to edit post above for accuracy*

Sorry dude. I dig bands like that, shadows Fall, Killswitch, but Unearthed just sounded pretty generic to me.

Yeah twas me. Neck is still sore. Always a sign of a good concert!

I saw Episode 666 there but guess she didnt wanna talk to me this time.

Iced In Flames said:
Sorry dude. I dig bands like that, shadows Fall, Killswitch, but Unearthed just sounded pretty generic to me.

Yeah twas me. Neck is still sore. Always a sign of a good concert!
I'm not a huge Unearth fan or anything just didn't think it sounded like Nu-Metal.

Hah, mine was was sore until today.

Glad to hear that In Flames put on a good set. I am deeply sad that I missed the show...I was in the process of moving to Texas on July 1st-2nd. They are actually playing here in AUstin, TX tonight but I am unable to make it...I have to continue doing MASS renovations to this new house that I am in, ugh.

@Iced In Flames: DUDE! I remember you from the Milwaukee show last year. I'm sure Epi didn't try to ignore ya on purpose ;) .

Hail In Flames! ...and fucking MOONSHIELD! :headbang: