In Flames kicked my ass!!

Mr. Mojojo said:
Last night I had the honor of seeing the first date of the In Flames/Soilwork/Chimera/Unearth tour in Toronto. We missed Unearth waiting in line. Oh well.

Soilwork came on next, which made no sence to me. They got their point accross quickly considering how long they had to play (45 mins.). Their set consisted of all songs from Natural Born Chaos and Figure #5. I give them a B+ for their set.

Chimera was up next. They put up a respectable set of thrashy/grindcore/new metal songs. I actually enjoyed watching them play. A dominating force on stage, they had the entire venue going ape shit. I give them a A-, not because I liked them better than Soilwork but because of the energy and stage presence they possesed.

Finnally In Flames came on. At first they seemed tired and not really into the music. Then Came "Episode 666" which seemed to wake the band up a bit. By the time "System" hit the entire place including the band where singing along, swining their hair around, freakin out and all in all having the time of their lives. The set was seamless and it felt like it went on forever. A good mix of new and old material, with a few odd balls thrown in for good measure. I have never seen this band, or any band for that matter, rock the way they did last night. I give them an A+++

In flames fuckin rule

The set list: (as far as I can remember)

Cloud Connected
Clayman
Watch Them Feed
Episode 666
Scorn
System
Minus
Bullet Ride
Reroute To Remain
Coerced Coexistance
Clad In Shadows
Drifter
Only For The Weak
Gyroscope
Trigger
Pinball Map
Behind Space
Black And White
Colony

no encore.

cool! thanks for posting the setlist. :)

* our show is less than 2 weeks away
* they're headlining again. :tickled:
* they're playing The Vic!
* they're doing an in-store appearance at Metal Haven!! :Smokin:
* it's on a Sunday ('tis good, but Fri or Sat would've been better)
* i'm very much looking forward to seeing them play live again. :)
* i hope the Hoosier's bringing them beer (or whatever) this time, because I'm NOT. :Smug:

I cant believe no embody the invisible. and where the hell is Jotun and ZOMBIE INC??? wtf?? and stop playing only for the weak, that song sucks. play swim or something else. and play the hive too! and what about artifacts of the black rain? wtf?

Damn...I wish they had some of my more favorite songs on there, but beggers can't be choosers. July 5th will be the first time I've seen any of those bands live. I'm stoked.

I'll be at the Cleveland show, which is Chimaira's home town, so them and the crowdd will be pumped to shit. I'm excited to see them - I love their new album. Not very Nu-metal at all, just some sampled sounds that add to the mood.

What do you expect guys? lol you still expect in flames to play a song from TJR?

well just give up on in flames..
they gonna release a new shitty album again, and we won't even be able to hear a song from Colony i guess..

imagine, 7 songs from RtR and 7 songs from other shitty new in flames album on their next live shows.

haha stop moaning about in flames when they don't play any old songs. it's just obvious, just accept it.in flames has changed and we'll never see the good old in flames again.

the show started at 7pm and ended at about 11:20 ... In Flames played the same setlist they played yesterday and Soilwork replaced Black Star Deceiver by Distortion Sleep

And Chimaira didn't own anything tonight, besides the change in their pockets lol ... they certainly were energetic but they didn't kick any band's ass

It was a great show though

Isn't it incredible how many people will complain about the In Flames setlist? The Jester Race is 9 years old now, they've released 4 studio albums, 2 EPs and also a live album since then. It's not exactly a great surprise that they're not doing those songs anymore. Furthermore, it's not like they haven't played them. When they were touring on Colony, they played ALL the songs that 99% of the people posting here wanted to hear. If you only like the old material, then you should have gone and saw the band then. if you didn't get into the band til later on, then that's all cool - I'm not going to pretend that everyone has been a fan since Lunar Strain - but you have to accept that the band has moved on since then and their setlist is updated to become more modern. I'm sure that as a band, In Flames feel that their newest material is strongest and most representative of the band at the moment, and so they're ALWAYS going to play more of the new stuff. It's not just to promote, it's because they like it. They've played Jotun a million times before, now they want to play Minus. Live with it. There are some very cool Whoracle and Colony songs in there. Gyroscope, Episode 666, Scorn, Coerced Coexistence, Behind Space, Clad In Shadows (these latter two being even older), and Colony. Obviously people are going to complain no matter what they play, but fuck's sake, they're playing some older stuff in there and most of you are completely ignoring that for the fact that they aren't playing even OLDER stuff. I'm going to see them for the second time in the summer, and if they play something from TJR - which they won't - then I will be very happy indeed. But I know they'll play a great setlist anyway, and I think the one they're doing just now is a good mixture for old and new fans. Of the people who disagree with that, a good proportion of you are going to end up paying to see them and most likely enjoying it anyway, and the rest of you are living in the past and probably don't eat any food unless it's 10 years past its use by date.

Moonshield said:
and the rest of you are living in the past and probably don't eat any food unless it's 10 years past its use by date.

I ALMOST took you seriously until I read that. Music is timeless...food is not. o_O

GuitarShredder said:
I ALMOST took you seriously until I read that. Music is timeless...food is not. o_O

Haha. I like to add in something stupid at the end of a post when I type out something long and boring, just to show that people shouldn't take my posts to heart. The fact is that In Flames seem to be playing a decent mix of songs from their most recently albums, which is what any band does, and I just think that people are having a go at them unfairly. The floodgates opened with Reroute to Remain, and there are definitely people who won't accept the fact that In Flames are going to play their new material whether they like it or not.

I'm not having a go at anyone specifically, and let's face it - those who agree with me don't care what I have to say because it's nothing new, and those who disagree with me don't care what I have to say because they think I'm full of shit. I don't know why I'm bothering really! Maybe it's just because I'm bored. But yeah - I think the current setlist is pretty damn good considering that they are really only missing out songs from Subterranean and The Jester Race (which are probably my 2 favourite releases, sadly). And the people who are complaining should take a proper look at the setlist and maybe they'll see that there's a lot of songs they like in there as it is.

Reactions: Tebus
its not that they dont play rare songs, its that the songs they play are always the same from their respective albums. it's always gyroscope, always, colony, always only for the weak, always behind space etc. i just wish they'd mix it up a bit more...they definitely have many many great songs to choose from.

It would be kinda cool if they had some online vote for the fans what they would like to see, and then they could take the songs with the most votes and perhaps construct a setlist out of them.

You don't have to play half of your new album. Blind Guardian for example played about 3 songs off their new album. There is nothing wrong with playing the older stuff, and most good live bands do it.

Anyways, how was the sound quality??? I've heard all sorts of horror stories about In Flame's live sound.