In Flames Vs. Soilwok

lets see wichers and frenning are better guitarists hands down. they get way more technical and their solos on the first three cds kill any in flames solo. jesper used to be great at melodies that for sure...but lately he hasnt been doin so good. as a guitar player though jesper isnt that great. bjorn wasnt an a amazing drummer by any means and he isnt that great at guitar either. as far as bassist go in flames has never had too great of a bassist and esp not now, so ola wins in that field as well. both daniel and henry are great drummers, although daniels drum work wasnt so great on r2r. henry is amazing at rythem and he adds way more shit in(little fills n such). so henry wins that for sure. as far as singers go bjorn keeps getting better and better where anders is getting worse and worse. outcome-soilwork kills in flames

il agree with the vocalists, soilworks vocalist is much better than anders. wichers and frenning are better players on a technical basis and their solos and songs are more technical but they are different style to in flames solos, compare the solo in bastard chain to that in episode 666 very different. Yt also comes down to a matter of taste too. I think that daniel drum work has always been great even on R2R and i cant comment on the bassists as i dont know much but in flames are better songwriters and write better riffs and definatly better melodies too take a song like pinball map or moonshield and you can see its packed with fantastic riffs and melodies. NBC and FNF are better than R2R.........but The jester race and whoracle destroy everything soilwork has done.

soilwork is the better band any fucking day!!!
both the bands are good but soilwork has some exceptional songs, some unforgettable ones....

I easily forget 95% of Soilwork's discography.

I think this is the world record when it comes to reviving old threads. The dude answered to an 8 year old post :p

Anyway, I was never big fan of Soilwork. 5 or 6 catchy singles, nothing more. Seriously inconsistant songwriting IMHO, every album has more fillers than songs that are actually worth anything.

guess you wouldn't have said this had you seen my join date......
however, i am an ardent soilwork fan and fail to understand why people like in flames more.... don't you like some nice vocals along with good music???
same is the case with children of bodom ain't it (although i like them too):D??
and usually their vocals make a lot more sense than some of the other bands....

guess you wouldn't have said this had you seen my join date......
however, i am an ardent soilwork fan and fail to understand why people like in flames more.... don't you like some nice vocals along with good music???
same is the case with children of bodom ain't it (although i like them too):D??
and usually their vocals make a lot more sense than some of the other bands....

Speed's vocals are good, but the rest of the stuff is just average. As dtb said, they have a few singles, a few strong songs and the rest of the stuff just feels like fillers.

Oh, they can play their instruments, but songwriting is just not there sometimes.

Anyway, when it comes to big swedish melodic death metal bands... they are my least favourite. I do love A Predator's portrait though.

Going through Soilwork's lyrics booklets and always reading In Flames mentioned around Soilwork... that is the whole reason i got into In Flames. I'm actually a huge fan of both bands- when i look through both bands discographies i find a musical journey that started off with aggressive melodeath (Whoracle/Colony and Steelbath/Chainheart Machine), progressing onto more ambient and melodic shit (Clayman/Reroute and Predators Portrait/Natural Born Chaos) then onto the more modern metal inspired stuff (Come Clarity/Sounds of a Playground Fading and Figure Number Five/The Panic Broadcast). I honestly think Soilwork and In Flames have mirrored each others whole careers- it's kind of creepy! In Flames put out a bad record in ASOP and so did Soilwork with Sworn, then both bands made epic returns with SOAF/TPB.

I much prefer Speed's clean singing and low death grows (because the low grunts and growls are actually much more prominent in Soilwork than In Flames, Anders did what? 3 tiny death grunts in ASOP?). Anders obviously completely owns in the high pitched scream department (there aren't that many that can beat him in that department), whereas Speed hasn't screamed in higher register since Chainheart Machine. I love the guitar solos in Soilwork, and the drumming is absolutely immense. Speed's lyrics aren't as dark or deep as Anders', but they are sung in a much more catchy way- which is catchier? The chorus of All for Me or the chorus of a track like Two Live worth of Reckoning or Night Comes Clean? Anders hasn't really sang much catchy stuff, considering In Flames are meant to be more mainstream nowadays!

I seem to find that IF keeps progressing in a more melodic direction while with The Panic Broadcast at least Soilwork is getting more aggressive. They actually started with STAGD. So I wouldn't really say their careers mirror each others anymore. Soilwork sounded more like At The Gates to me when they started and IF obviously more like DT. Now they have all evolved into their own sound. And I like both bands very much.

I personally don't dislike Soilwork. I don't generally like their albums as a whole though, just songs here and there. Oddly enough, Stabbing The Drama is the one album I can listen to beginning to end. I guess because every song comes off like a catchy single. That being said, the album doesn't have general longevity to me. Just now and then do I listen to it.

I thought Soilwork were great up until NBC, which I thought was their peak. Great songwriting, amazing collab with Devin, strong vocals, surprisingly strong lyrics too. They went downhill from that album onwards for me. FNF felt like the NBC B-Sides, and everything after that has been distinctly meh. A few good tracks here or there, but generally filler. I think A88's description of them applies perfectly post-NBC.

I used to like Soilwork a lot. I like Steelbath Suicide the most for some reason.

Lyrically, I think IF is way better. But I still like Soilwork a great deal. But what is the deal with Bjorn on the title track of Sworn to a Great Divide? Anyone else think that how he sings the word "key" in the line "is that really the key?" is really odd and unnecessary?

c'mon guys, wish you would give them a chance!! b'coz when i see a song like 'the chosen pessimist' having more views (on youtube) than something like 'weapon of vanity' ;my heart just breaks....

Going through Soilwork's lyrics booklets and always reading In Flames mentioned around Soilwork... that is the whole reason i got into In Flames. I'm actually a huge fan of both bands- when i look through both bands discographies i find a musical journey that started off with aggressive melodeath (Whoracle/Colony and Steelbath/Chainheart Machine), progressing onto more ambient and melodic shit (Clayman/Reroute and Predators Portrait/Natural Born Chaos) then onto the more modern metal inspired stuff (Come Clarity/Sounds of a Playground Fading and Figure Number Five/The Panic Broadcast). I honestly think Soilwork and In Flames have mirrored each others whole careers- it's kind of creepy! In Flames put out a bad record in ASOP and so did Soilwork with Sworn, then both bands made epic returns with SOAF/TPB.

I much prefer Speed's clean singing and low death grows (because the low grunts and growls are actually much more prominent in Soilwork than In Flames, Anders did what? 3 tiny death grunts in ASOP?). Anders obviously completely owns in the high pitched scream department (there aren't that many that can beat him in that department), whereas Speed hasn't screamed in higher register since Chainheart Machine. I love the guitar solos in Soilwork, and the drumming is absolutely immense. Speed's lyrics aren't as dark or deep as Anders', but they are sung in a much more catchy way- which is catchier? The chorus of All for Me or the chorus of a track like Two Live worth of Reckoning or Night Comes Clean? Anders hasn't really sang much catchy stuff, considering In Flames are meant to be more mainstream nowadays!
you've hit the nail on it's head.....both bands are awesome, but what i want to stress on is that soilwork deserve more in terms of fan following for their stuff....

Man, nobody is saying that Soilwork is shit, but they are fairly average band. Sometimes they suceed in crossing that line towards greatness, but in most cases their songs are just: listen-enjoy-forget.

ATG, IF, DT are all more original and influential bands. I have a feeling that even Scar Symmetry has more sucess now.

In terms of commercial appeal I'd say Soilwork are more successful than Scar Symmetry... depends how you define success really.

Soilwork were a very good band up until NBC. Speed's screams are top-notch in everything during that period. The band stuttered from FNF onwards and IMO never really recovered musically, but the stuff before that is very good.

They possibly suffer from identity crisis early on - their ATG influence in particular is glaringly obvious in Steelbath Suicide (which as Clay-man said is a good album, just not very original) and still apparent in everything up until NBC.

I thought NBC was their most original album, though it straddled the line between commercial and non-commercial. They took the commercial route, much like In Flames, but NBC is a superior album to R2R IMO (though I like both albums).

Scar Symmetry with Alvestam is at least 10 times better band than any Soilwork era. But even they are releasing half-assed albums nowadays. Last two albums suck hard (and I dont say that because of the new vocalists, I like them).

I tried giving another listen to the Panic Broadcast the other day, and I actually listened to it whole, from start to finish. First 3 songs are everything that that albums has to offer. Everything else is just boring. Like they recorded the first riffs they came up with, not caring about the final result.