In Flames Vs. Soilwok

Scar Symmetry sound very samey a lot of the time too. I'm a fan of theirs but I have no problem admitting they've got a lot of songs that lack variation, and the growling is nothing special (amazing singing though).

You're undervaluing Soilwork between 99 - 02, they put out some very good music. They kinda suck now, and live they disappointed me by playing way too much new stuff (much like In Flames) but Scar Symmetry get put on a pedestal by too many people. They're very good, but they aren't that good, and I'd be surprised if they were commercially as successful as Soilwork.

Yes, a lot of people seem to share the opinion of The Chainheart Machine and APP being their best work. I can clearly see why, but for some reason those albums do nothing for me. And believe me when I say that I tried to grasp on them, since melodeath (especially Swedish) is one of my biggest interests when it comes to metal. For some reason I enjoyed much more their newer stuff with those clean sang choruses, when they went with their own Reroute, so to say. I also have the impression that they are way more popular in the US than over here in the Europe. A lot of the newer metal bands from the States cite them as their prime influence.

When it comes to Scar Symmetry, I couldnt agree more. The riffs are practically nonexistant, its mostly straight out chugging which I dont like at all. I mean, I've been into them since the Pitch Black Progress (their 2nd album), and I probably couldnt recall their 5 memorable riffs right now :) But when you have vocalist such as Alvestam (or those new guys) at your disposal, its not a problem at all to let him deliver all the melodies. But yes, I would prefer a bit more melodic guitar work for sure when it comes to them.

As far as it goes about commercial success, I really couldnt say. Here where I live melodeath is probably the least favourite genre of metal. But I dont think that they can be compared anyway. Soilwork was formed in the mid 90s, when melodeath was practically just being shaped, and even though they werent exactly as good or memorable like some other bands that come to mind, they've been here for a while now and a lot of people now of them. And like I said, a lot of US bands seem to have been influenced by them. Which isnt that surprising, since Soilwork was always more leaning towards the groove-styled riffs which are way more popular over there. On the other hand we have Scar Symmetry, who were formed in 2004., and most likely directly influenced by those classic melodeath bands. So again, not really comparable.

APP is definately the highlight for me. SBS and TCM were good but not that catchy. Chaotic in ATG way. Later works like NBC and FNF were just... trying to get comercial sucess (especially in the US). Few good songs, but nothing I want to hear all the time. STD is solid album, nothing spectacular. STAGD is a fucking disaster. Shitty production and really...shitty songwriting. TPB is a lot better. But again, a few good songs, while other are fillers with good melodies and riffs laying around.

As for Scar Symmetry, they were really good at the beggining... but then they started writing two types of songs: 1) gay "I wanna enter the charts" singles, and 2) confusing "I wanna be cyber and progressive" fillers.

Conclussion: In Flames rule!!! Even with Anders' whiny vocals. :D

Yes, a lot of people seem to share the opinion of The Chainheart Machine and APP being their best work. I can clearly see why, but for some reason those albums do nothing for me. And believe me when I say that I tried to grasp on them, since melodeath (especially Swedish) is one of my biggest interests when it comes to metal. For some reason I enjoyed much more their newer stuff with those clean sang choruses, when they went with their own Reroute, so to say. I also have the impression that they are way more popular in the US than over here in the Europe. A lot of the newer metal bands from the States cite them as their prime influence.

Yeah I'd agree they're more popular in the States. Still, it's a pretty good market to crack. They're fairly popular in Europe but eclipsed by the bands that preceeded them (although DT were support for Soilwork last time I saw them, which was pretty sad). My fav Soilwork record is probably NBC... SBS, TCM and APP are all good without being great. The Chainheart Machine (song) is fucking heavy live though. Seriously, the start is insane :D

When it comes to Scar Symmetry, I couldnt agree more. The riffs are practically nonexistant, its mostly straight out chugging which I dont like at all. I mean, I've been into them since the Pitch Black Progress (their 2nd album), and I probably couldnt recall their 5 memorable riffs right now :) But when you have vocalist such as Alvestam (or those new guys) at your disposal, its not a problem at all to let him deliver all the melodies. But yes, I would prefer a bit more melodic guitar work for sure when it comes to them.

I guess... Alvestam's rhythms are all fairly similar though. He's got a great singing voice but it's not like he pushes any boundaries with his singing. It's just rare to have a genuinely talented singer in a band playing SS's type of music.

As far as it goes about commercial success, I really couldnt say. Here where I live melodeath is probably the least favourite genre of metal. But I dont think that they can be compared anyway. Soilwork was formed in the mid 90s, when melodeath was practically just being shaped, and even though they werent exactly as good or memorable like some other bands that come to mind, they've been here for a while now and a lot of people now of them. And like I said, a lot of US bands seem to have been influenced by them. Which isnt that surprising, since Soilwork was always more leaning towards the groove-styled riffs which are way more popular over there. On the other hand we have Scar Symmetry, who were formed in 2004., and most likely directly influenced by those classic melodeath bands. So again, not really comparable.

Indeed it is not comparable, but Soilwork are still commercially more successful than SS for a number of reasons, that was my point :D

APP is definately the highlight for me. SBS and TCM were good but not that catchy. Chaotic in ATG way. Later works like NBC and FNF were just... trying to get comercial sucess (especially in the US). Few good songs, but nothing I want to hear all the time. STD is solid album, nothing spectacular. STAGD is a fucking disaster. Shitty production and really...shitty songwriting. TPB is a lot better. But again, a few good songs, while other are fillers with good melodies and riffs laying around.

You need to relisten to some of this shit bro :D first off STD fucking sucks, and it's not coincidence it abbreviates to a sexual disease. More like Stabbing the Anus... a total pile of fucking wank. I bought it in high hopes and was massively disappointed with how utterly uninspired and boring it was.

Whilst I agree NBC is a commercial step forward, it was the step that finally defined Soilwork as a band. NBC was where they developed their 'sound', where they stopped copying ATG/In Flames and formed their own identity. It also kicks ass as an album, every song is great. The openings to Follow the Hollow and Mindfields are sick :D all the chorus's are catchy, great riffs, nice solos... vocals on the album are KILLER. Seriously, it rules :D I agree with the rest of your post though :D

Nah man, NBC (Nuclear-Biological-Chemical !??) just sounds weak to me. Yeah, they did find identity...but not a cool one. :D

APP has it all. Melody, riffs, agression, songwriting...a Mikael's guest appearance. And it's the only Soilwork album I enjoy from start to the end.

I guess... Alvestam's rhythms are all fairly similar though. He's got a great singing voice but it's not like he pushes any boundaries with his singing. It's just rare to have a genuinely talented singer in a band playing SS's type of music.

Well, the dude sings. He cant exactly do sweep arpeggios and tech wankery with his voice :D In all fairness, his vocal range is quite impressive (especially noticable on the first two SS albums). The thing that I like about him is that he has it all, technical abillity to deliver, pleasant voice to listen to (which is maybe the most important thing) and a brilliant sense for melody and composing. Sure, he has a certain "signature" in his melodies, but I dont think it is a bad thing. Just like when you hear any random melody from early IF stuff, you know that Jesper wrote it. Yet they dont sound similar at all :)

What? He can't do sweep arppegios with his voice? No wonder he got kicked out of the band. :D

technical abillity to deliver, pleasant voice to listen to (which is maybe the most important thing) and a brilliant sense for melody and composing.

And he sings with so much emotion. The thing that Scar Sym. new singers lack.

Speaking of Scar Symmetry, check out this guy:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZlyDoUFIDY&feature=related[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlCQaFeL9tI&NR=1[/ame]

Similar sound, but instrumental music only.

Downright amazing. Getting his album as I type this. Thanks man :)
Its fucking nice to hear a guitarist's solo album that contains actual songs instead of an hour's worth of solos. And yes, its almost indentical to Scar Symmetry stuff, but I dont see that as a bad thing. And actually has lead stuff all over the place, instead of just shred solos. Why didnt you post this earlier?

Just found it yesterday. Yes, it's good stuff (beats Jeff Loomis' album). I'm trying to play along. :D

Also, this guy answers almost all comments ('bout technical stuff, recording etc). Nice person.

Yeah, I've been listening to it a lot yesterday and today and I really like it so far. Definitely beats Loomis' solo album.
I cant believe that the whole guitar tone is from the Line 6 POD. Amazingly good for home production.

I'm just starting to get into Scar Symmetry. Might work through their catalogue from earliest to newest, although the last two albums seem like a cheap comprimise over the former vocalist. Solution .45 sounds interesting too.

Meh, i got Pitch Black Progress and Holographic Universe. Can't say i'm blown away- i must have let the hype get to me somewhere along the line...

It's funny but the first track on both albums are the only ones that really stand out to me. There are other good songs, but nothing really memorable.

Then i got Solution .45's album and i was pleasantly suprised by how catchy and creative the music is (or at least the vocals). Nice meaty riffs, melt-in-the-mouth solos and some great death grunts. Makes me wonder what the fuck Christian was doing in Scar Symmetry- i can barely remember any choruses or catchy vocals from Holographic Universe, and yet i find myself humming alot of Solution songs :Spin:

soilwok
tuong-lu-kim.jpg