Childhood Music / Taste Progression

Gadlor said:
I will castrate him and you, and boil your testicles for my supper.

You don't do that anyway?

Anyway, The UltraBoris (or whatever) guy doesn't seem like the most "Cleverest" guy anyway.

Edit* I just said "Anyway" Three (now 4) times in one post. That was greedy.

Gadlor said:
Alan Parsons
I love Alan Parson's Project, well at least their cds in the 70's. I don't know why i like them so much. I guess my dad just brainwashed those cds in my head, especially Tales of Mystery And Imagination, it's awesome and all about Edgar Allen Poe's short stories and poems

Before summer 2003: I started by listening to crappy punk bands like Blink 182, Sum 41 and Simple Plan. I thought I was really cool. :loco:

Summer 2003 to summer 2004: I made some new friends at school and they showed me better stuff like Rise Against, Raised Fist, NOFX, etc.

Summer 2004 to summer 2005: I start to get bored of that punk music so I start listening to some real cool shit like Linkin Park, Slipknot, Hatebreed and Drowning Pool. :rolleyes:

Summer 2005 to the end of my life(hopefully): I really entered into Metal, thx to Children Of Bodom. Now I listen to a lot of melodeath bands like COB, Mors Principium Est, Kalmah, Norther, Skyfire, Arch Enemy, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Soilwork. I also like bands like Ensiferum and Wintersun and many other bands more or less known. :headbang:

The first bands I remember listening too are what my dad used to play in the car. Old Genesis (before the commercial crap), The Who, Eric Clapton, Peter Frampton, Dire Straits, The Stranglers... etc. I never really paid attention to popular music, only hearing stuff that was played on Virgin Radio (also in the car and on MW with shitty sound quality).

Only when I got to about 13/14 years old did I start listening to popular chart music, dance music... basically a load of shit really.

When I reached the age of about 15 however I bought Manic Street Preachers - Holy Bible, this was the first album I ever bought for myself. I enjoyed that for a short period. I moved away from all that popular chart music at this point.

Then sometime during my 15th year I got into stuff like Linkin Park, Papa Roach and all that shite... meh. I left school and during the summer holiday of 2001, before going to college I got into Static-X, System of a Down and Disturbed. Over a period of about 2/3 years I didn't really progress much and only listened to a very small amount of bands. Killswitch Engage, Coal Chamber and Demon Hunter were a few names but there weren't many others.

In late 2003 I decided I'd almost had enough with the American shite metal and tried out In Flames. I'd heard of them 2 years previous but never really checked them out (I'd liked what I heard but for some reason at the time I didn't really have the means to get into them). In early 2004 I got into Children of Bodom's older stuff and I still think to this day it's their only good work. I also had a period of listening to Pantera and Machinehead around that time but it was only short and I soon left my American music ways.

From mid-2004 until now I've built up my knowledge of melodic metal of all varieties (mostly with harsh vox). I had a short period of listening to gothic metal in late 2004 but that didn't last long. In early 2005 I got my first taste of folk/viking metal with bands such as Ensiferum, Korpiklaani and Finntroll, I still listen to these types of bands today.

I now listen to around 300 bands, my favourite bands being Hypocrisy, In Flames (before the R2R album), Wintersun, Ensiferum, Moonsorrow, Windir, Kalmah, Skyfire, Dark Tranquillity, Bloodbath, Falkenbach, Insomnium, Norther, Korpiklaani and Finntroll.

Edit: Oh and I forgot to mention that I've recently been getting into old school swedish (style) death metal... early albums from bands like Entombed, Dismember, Unleashed, Grave, Gorefest etc.

Lately I've been getting into some southern/americana stuff, most notably a band called Lucero. I'm realizing that (almost) all forms of music have worth, and exploring them all gives you a lot more creative perspective.

So right about all (most) forms of music having worth, and its amazing to see artists listing their influences, which often are quite a surprise. I love it when you see artists on Mtv from all genres of music, lots rock based, putting Fight the power-Public enemy in their top ten because to me it is the number one hip hop tune of all time and it shows how it can appeal across the board:)