Children Of Bodom 20th Anniversary 2017

RICJAMES

Aug 23, 2014
Germany
Hey dudes and dudettes.
As the title says, next year COB will be 20 years old since the release of the debut album
"Something Wild" and the name change from "Inearthed" to the name we all know and love.
Do you think they'll release something "special"?
Like a most atmospheric new re-recording of Something Wild, dedicated too Joonas? Just kidding...
Serious, something like a greatest hits CD or some Songs as acoustic re recorded?
I guess some new merch will definetily come.

Last edited:
Hey dudes and dudettes.
As the title says, next year COB will be 20 years old since they the debut album
"Something Wild" and the name change from "Inearthed" to the name we all know and love.
Do you think they'll release something "special"?
Like a most atmospheric new re-recording of Something Wild, dedicated to Joonas? Just kidding...
Serious, something like a greatest hits CD or some Songs as acoustic re recorded?
I guess some new merch will definetily come.
"Most atmospheric new re-recording of Something Wild, dedicated to Joonas?" :D

A greatest hits CD sounds possible, though IIRC they did that already with the 15th anniversary so I'm not sure. I am quite sure they won't do any acoustic re-recordings. New merch? Probably.

"Most atmospheric new re-recording of Something Wild, dedicated to Joonas?" :D

A greatest hits CD sounds possible, though IIRC they did that already with the 15th anniversary so I'm not sure. I am quite sure they won't do any acoustic re-recordings. New merch? Probably.

Well, too me 2 full decades are more important than 15 years. At least I partied harder at my 20th anniversary than on my 15th
but I can speak only for myself. :D

Well, too me 2 full decades are more important than 15 years. At least I partied harder at my 20th anniversary than on my 15th
but I can speak only for myself. :D
:D So did I. Then again, doing so didn't require much partying as I didn't do much partying before I was 16.

As I mentioned elsewhere, it's more than time for a good live DVD/BR. Make it a double one. But first a 20th anniversary tour, where they play some of the great songs they never play: Widdershins, All Twisted, Waste of Skin, Banned from Heaven, etc.etc. And during that tour record the DVDs. Another lame compilation CD would be ridiculous. Also some cool clothes, gear, stuff.

Certain songs should be remade (RLIME pt 1, Deadnight, Towards, LBRH, PMIB), but unfortunately their current sound is uninspiring, so it's not a good idea, unless they let me tell exactly what changes should be done to those songs.

Or just make a good fucking album which is closer to the sound they got known for. Or just announce they will sign with Jackson!

Guys, I'm talking about things that may gonna happen in reality. :D

@dthmtl3 there won't be a new live DVD, sadly. He said that in an interview, not long ago.
But at least a live bootleg audio only could happen. Or something like a best of with, at least, remixed and remastered songs.

I'm personally not even convinced that anyone in the band likes COB's music much anymore except Alexi maybe halfly. That's my feeling. Next thing they'll do is another new album that sounds like the last ones, in the next two years.

Yeah, I have similar feelings. Too me, somehow, the point is reached were it'd be better they'd quit COB and
do something different. Something were everyone is 100% into. Alexi totally seems that he do COB because he has too,
not because he want it.

I'm pretty sure he'd do great stuff again with another band. Something like the Local Band Stuff with original stuff, glam rock.

Have you guys ever wondered why they're not doing this artsy shit we've been wetting over? There's probably a very simple reason for it that's right before our eyes but we're unwilling to see it. This may be cruel to say, but my personal feeling is no-one in the band is passionate about COB's music except Alexi and even he would probably start a different kind of band today. :( To me it seems their passion has become just their job. Never posting online anymore, not saying good things about their past masterpieces, etc... I too think Alexi would like to do glam rock these days. I'm just saying this as a fan, that I'm sensing a lack of love for their art. Making an album has seemingly become "hard work" instead of exciting opportunity.

Have you guys ever wondered why they're not doing this artsy shit we've been wetting over? There's probably a very simple reason for it that's right before our eyes but we're unwilling to see it. This may be cruel to say, but my personal feeling is no-one in the band is passionate about COB's music except Alexi and even he would probably start a different kind of band today. :( To me it seems their passion has become just their job. Never posting online anymore, not saying good things about their past masterpieces, etc... I too think Alexi would like to do glam rock these days. I'm just saying this as a fan, that I'm sensing a lack of love for their art. Making an album has seemingly become "hard work" instead of exciting opportunity.

They should make a break from touring and spend five years rediscovering that passion, and then make a new album. But that would make them unable to earn for living, since touring is their only income, and I don't see any of the members doing regular jobs on daily basis...

Sure. But I don't know how many people Alexi would let have a say in the band these day. COB isn't a band anymore, it's Alexi's project. It looks like Janne gets to participate but I'm afraid he's totally to wrong guy to listen to. We'll see if Daniel will be allowed to exert some influence. Then there's the fact that if you want to make a living and some extra money, music becomes a business. And finally, as they've said, they simply don't want to do the artsy stuff anymore.

Now we have the future to look forward to, let's see what Alexi comes up with next.

All this is natural, so OK. And I think both the band and the fans have taken their existence for granted. Then what should the band do different? Hanging online isn't gonna help. It boils down to the music, their releases, and the enthusiasm and chosen setlists.

I really suggest the band to take some distance, spend a month vacation not even thinking about their own music, just listening to others. They need to understand what is the pure COB style. If they want to reclaim that lost mythical aura about them, their next album has to be super fast, super dark, with one unforgettable riff and melody per song, with emotion coursing through each song from tip to toe, exciting twists and unison solos that stick to the listener. They have the potential to do this, but something needs to click, the emotion needs to come back. This should be melodic death metal at its best. I think in short what they need is to increase speed while maintaining a catchy dark riff, then create a really dark yet 'touching' melody for each song. Like take the intro of Morrigan and the melody in Prayer as examples, then start creating impressive speed riffs and making epic stuff with keyboards and song structures. What I desire from this style of music is incredible speed, dark riffs, epic melodies, orchestral hits... that should be a given, then the rest is up to creating interesting songs. There's endless potential.

A metal musician's challenge is sometimes to stay away from mental medication because they take away creativity, the emotion needs to be put into music, no matter how depressing it may be sometimes to create interesting stuff when depressed. All you need is take care of your body, nutrition, go out in the sun and sleep away the stress. When forced to do stuff at the wrong time and under stress, the creativity is suppressed. So there you go, all I can do to help.

Last edited:
All this is natural, so OK. And I think both the band and the fans have taken their existence for granted. Then what should the band do different? Hanging online isn't gonna help. It boils down to the music, their releases, and the enthusiasm and chosen setlists.
Hanging online doesn't help the music but not doing it it implies a lack of interest in the music. When a band is enthusiastic about what they do, they tend to talk about it. Most bands I listen to post small snippets of their upcoming albums, updates on how many songs they have ready at the moment, how many song they have recorded etc.

Blooddrunk was the last album where that online enthusiasm was present.

Why can't I pass this excitement onto the band? I know an artist will be repulsed by any outsider giving opinions on their craft, so it's hopeless. I just think it would be interesting for Alexi to have a coffee moment with me, because I have more distance to inspect their art.

"If they want to reclaim that lost mythical aura about them"...that's your mistake right there. They're not hung up in the past but have moved on. They haven't lost anything but progressed.

Have they lost the energy and enthusiasm? Sure looks like it. That's what years of doing the same will do to you. And they don't have the impetus to prove themselves anymore. Alexi does have issues it seems which one way or the other gets in the way of things, and I'm not sure if he's dealing with them. I hope it's nothing physical and serious, even though he doesn't look particularly healthy.

"They haven't lost anything" next sentence "Have they lost the energy and enthusiasm? Sure looks like it". I mean come on, they're not half as good as they used to be and it was perfectly predictable since AYDY. In fact the majority of bands walk this road, most don't even have 3 good records, just one or two. The impact of being young and full of ideas can't be overestimated.

Last edited: