Children of Bodom to embark on huge N.A. tour with Slayer!

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
Was just reading on Blabbermouth a new annual touring fest is in the works. It is called the Unholy Alliance Tour and will feature six bands. It will be headlined annually by Slayer and the first installment features Lamb of God, Mastodon, Children of Bodom, and Thine Eyes Bleed. The first announced date is June 16 at the Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford, NJ.

This is awesome. I never dreamed of seeing CoB at such a huge venue here in America. I hope this package does well. I also like Lamb of God and lovvvvveeeee Slayer.

I saw Slayer at a 1k person club that wasn't even sold out. This is somewhat sounding like Evil Darkness Returneth. Might get some decent attendence #s but I don't think anything worthy of arenas. CoB & LoG are probably bigger draws than Slayer.

Slayer plays at twice the size of venues as either LoG or CoB. I am totally looking forward to this concert since the last time I saw them was when they opened for Pantera.

Dolamite S. Biffle said:
Slayer plays at twice the size of venues as either LoG or CoB. I am totally looking forward to this concert since the last time I saw them was when they opened for Pantera.

Not true. In NYC Slayer and Lamb of God both headline the same venue whenever they come through. Bodom, however, still headlines a bit smaller of a venue.

On a side note, does Bodom know how to tour anywhere else anymore? Hard to believe a little over 2 years ago we in the States had never seen them live. Now they never leave :loco:

shaq said:
Not true. In NYC Slayer and Lamb of God both headline the same venue whenever they come through. Bodom, however, still headlines a bit smaller of a venue.

On a side note, does Bodom know how to tour anywhere else anymore? Hard to believe a little over 2 years ago we in the States had never seen them live. Now they never leave :loco:

Oh well in Kansas, its not that way. LoG plays about a 500 person club where Slayer plays around 800 club, but then again its not the big of difference. However, the quality of the venue is a huge difference.

shaq said:

they do? funny, I live right outside of NYC and didn't know LoG ever came close to selling out Roseland (capacity 3200 btw)

It will be headlined annually by Slayer and the first installment features Lamb of God, Mastodon, Children of Bodom, and Thine Eyes Bleed. The first announced date is June 16 at the Continental Airlines Arena in East Rutherford, NJ.

This must be incorrect or incomplete information... otherwise it's completely insane. There's no way in hell Slayer / Lamb Of God / Mastodon / Children Of Bodom / Thine Eyes Bleed is going to even half fill an NBA and NHL size venue like Continental Airlines Arena.

Sumeet said:
This must be incorrect or incomplete information... otherwise it's completely insane. There's no way in hell Slayer / Lamb Of God / Mastodon / Children Of Bodom / Thine Eyes Bleed is going to even half fill an NBA and NHL size venue like Continental Airlines Arena.

How many people are we talking here?

shaq said:
Bodom, however, still headlines a bit smaller of a venue.

Not in Europe though :p

Dolamite S. Biffle said:

Again, not in Europe.

If they're talking touring arenas they could do what Giganatour did last year and play the arenas but set them up for either 1/4 or 1/8 size. So they're still playing the arenas but just not full size. This could be a real solution.

Judas_C said:
If they're talking touring arenas they could do what Giganatour did last year and play the arenas but set them up for either 1/4 or 1/8 size. So they're still playing the arenas but just not full size. This could be a real solution.

that's highly likely, though 1/4 is more reasonable than 1/8

The Meadownlands arena they're talking about above holds 21,000. Now, metal shows used to sell it out with regularity in the '80s, but Slayer is nuts if they think that's going to happen nowadays.

Not to mention, Slayer, in a seated environment? No thanks.

MadeInNewJersey said:
that's highly likely, though 1/4 is more reasonable than 1/8

The Meadownlands arena they're talking about above holds 21,000. Now, metal shows used to sell it out with regularity in the '80s, but Slayer is nuts if they think that's going to happen nowadays.

Not to mention, Slayer, in a seated environment? No thanks.

I agree that they're not gonna sell out those kinds of venues. As far as the seated thing goes, if I had to guess I'd say that there would be GA on the floor (after all, it is a sports arena) and then the seating around it. I've seen shows done like that before at Madison Square Garden.

Locally, this tour has been booked at Gwinnett Arena. Free parking and all. :headbang:

Our analysis: it definitely won't sell out, but should do decent numbers. At least third- or half-house, since Slayer sold-out (or nearly sold out) the Tabernacle, which holds 2,300, and CoB will draw a slightly younger demographic.

tattooedsean666 said:
Ugh, I was so hoping that Slayer was going to be touring with Venom.

I like COB but they are such the oddball on this tour.
Tom Araya of SLAYER will be calling into MTV2's Headbangers Ball this Saturday (March 4th) to announce the band's upcoming tour.

In (hopefully) related news, the following is an excerpt from an interview conducted by Blasting-Zone.com with legendary VENOM frontman Cronos:

Blasting-Zone.com: What are your current touring plans?

Cronos: "Quite a lot, actually. We've always believed that people didn't want see VENOM if we didn't have the show. It just seems that so many people's opinions have changed because there are some many places where VENOM has never been. Not all of our fans can travel a thousand fuckin' miles to come see us. It just seems so odd that after twenty five years, there a just so many places that we've never even been. It's time for us to open our ears and take in a little bit of what's going on around us. We've got a lot of festival dates lined up and of course we're gonna do all the pyro and the whole shebang, but I think we should also try to do some of these other concerts as well, just to see how it goes. Some kid who can barely afford the price of the ticket can't come a long way to come see us. We're gonna try to get the best of both worlds when it comes to playin' live. One of the things that has been getting' talked about is a tour of the States with VENOM, SLAYER and EXODUS. How cool would that be? When people start talkin' about things like that, things they haven't seen in forever, we're just like, 'Get SLAYER on the phone so we can set it up...'"

Just got an e-mail about the pre sale from ticket master. It is taking place at The Theater at Continental Airlines Arena but not the Arena itself. They are also playing the Tweeter Center in Camden, NJ which is huge.

:kickass: :kickass:

If you think 6.6.06 is an intimidating calendar date, just wait. The killer reunion of all time — complete with live tour dates — is about to commence.

The four original members of SLAYER — Tom Araya/bass, vocals, Kerry King/guitars, Jeff Hanneman/guitars, and Dave Lombardo/drums — the pioneers and undisputed kings of extreme speed/thrash metal, have entered a Los Angeles-area studio to record what will be their first new studio album since 1990's "Seasons In The Abyss". And if that's not enough, uber-producer Rick Rubin, who helped solidify the much-emulated SLAYER sound beginning with their genre-defining 1986 classic "Reign In Blood", has taken the helm as executive producer of the project. The original team is back in place.

Working closely with Rubin will be Josh Abraham (KORN, VELVET REVOLVER, ATREYU) who will produce the album. "We're real happy to have Josh on the team," said SLAYER's Jeff Hanneman. "He's a very creative and intuitive guy, he knows music, and he really gets who SLAYER is and what we're doing." The as-yet-untitled album will be released on SLAYER's longtime label, Rubin's American Recordings/Warner Bros. Records, and is expected out this fall.

"Dave's been back with us, playing live, for a couple of years now, and we're all looking forward to recording together again," said the band's Tom Araya. Kerry King added, "There really is no one like Dave — he doesn't have to work at what he does, he just walks in, picks up his sticks and goes."

Said Lombardo, "It feels really good being back with the same guys I started out with. The chemistry is definitely there, that's the exciting part of it, to capture that chemistry again. And that's what is happening."

Jeff, Tom and Kerry have been writing songs for this new album since they wrapped their last North American tour in September 2004. "This is probably the most prepared we've been to record an album since the '80s," King added. "We've been writing and cutting demos for months." While these may change, working titles for some of the songs that will be recorded include "Catalyst", "Cult", "Supremist", and "Consfearacy". "I like to write songs that have different meanings for different people," said King, "where everyone can say, 'I know what he means,' but still get their own sense of what the song is about."

But wait, this just gets better. On 6.6.06 in San Diego, CA, SLAYER will kick off a seven-week summer trek, "The Unholy Alliance Tour * Preaching to the Perverted", that boasts what has got to be the genre's coolest line-up of the summer — LAMB OF GOD, MASTODON and CHILDREN OF BODOM (who will rotate the second and third slots), and THINE EYES BLEED who will open the shows.

Not only is the line-up terrific, but ticket prices will not exceed $39.00, giving fans a great value for their dollar. Tour dates and all other details will be announced shortly. Confirmed dates are below.

According to SLAYER's longtime manager Rick Sales, "We want to make 'The Unholy Alliance' tour an annual global event, so we decided to be smart about the design from the beginning. We chose to book most of the tour¹s shows at indoor venues, as that allows the bands and the fans amenities like air conditioning and indoor bathrooms, as well as the very best stage lighting, production, and sound and less expensive concession prices. The few shows that will be played outside will be played at night in permanent facilities with our lighting, production, and so on. Everyone wins."

With more dates to be added, the confirmed dates for "The Unholy Alliance Tour * Preaching to the Perverted" are as follows:

Jun. 06 - Sports Arena - San Diego, CA
Jun. 07 - The Orleans - Las Vegas, NV
Jun. 12 - Pop's Outside - St. Louis, MO
Jun. 13 - Aragon Ballroom - Chicago, IL
Jun. 15 - Tweeter Center - Camden, NJ
Jun. 16 - Continental Airlines Arena - E. Rutherford, NJ
Jun. 17 - Tsongas Arena - Lowell, MA
Jun. 23 - Freeman Coliseum - San Antonio, TX
Jun. 25 - Reliant Arena - Houston, TX
Jun. 29 - Tower City Amphitheatre - Cleveland, OH
Jul. 06 - Cobo Arena - Detroit, MI
Jul. 07 - Eagles Auditorium - Milwaukee, WI
Jul. 14 - Qwest Field Event Center - Seattle, WA
Jul. 16 - Salem Armory - Salem, OR
Jul. 19 - HP Pavilion - San Jose, CA
Jul. 21 - Mesa Amphitheatre - Mesa, AZ
Jul. 22 - Long Beach Arena - Long Beach, CA

Looks like Atlanta will be during that June 18-22 break.

I'm told by a friend who spoke with Kerry King yesterday that Killswitch Engage were going to be on the tour, but were replaced with CoB at Slayer's behest.