Chimaira - Army Of Me

the song's not bad, better than anything on their album...

that said, they're still generic Roadrunner crap. How can you respect a band that makes that dramatic a change in their sound? I can understand wanting to sell records, but.... if they had started that way fine.

And keep in mind, that they finished the record, and the label sent it back to them and told them to work on it some more. So I doubt that their "new" sound is really what the band wanted, and more what the label wanted.

I heard them play live in a small venue after they released their first album 2 or 3 years ago. They sounded like every other live nu metal band I'd suffered through...Diecast, 40 grit, 36 Crazy Fists, Spineshank, Nonpoint, etc. Then I saw them again a months later open up for Slayer. They were equally unimpressive. But then I started reading some interviews from Kerry King and some guys in Chimaira about how touring w/Slayer opened up their eyes to where their music could go w/time and practice. Chimaira shuffled the lineup a little and put out what I thought was a decent, not great, metalcore album a year later. It might not have been "Reign in Blood" but it definately wasn't Nu Metal anymore. They broke ranks. It was a departure from the sound all the bands they came up with were still playing. Say whatever you want about them, but at least they're going in the right direction.

Sometimes I get the vibe that some of the old thrash fans that frequent the Testament forums refuse to listen to any new American metal bands for no other reason than they're new bands. Conratulations if that's you. You have officially become an old fart headbanger. It's only a matter of time before you're bald on top and have a pony tail in the back.

I'm not saying people have to like all the new bands...Killswitch Engage, Hatebreed, Shadows Fall, Chimaira, etc...I don't. But don't bash them unless you give them a listen.

Killswitch is pretty cool, has some good moments in that cd. Same w/ Chimaira's new one. It has some good stuff on the cd. Track # 11 is a good fast song. I've never seen them live so I can't comment on that.

sorry to disappoint you dude, but I HAVE listened to all those bands you named.

Shadows Fall is head and shoulders above the rest, and yet still come up a little short (and generic as well).

You can go on and on about them breaking ranks, but again, the record that came out was NOT the record the band made. The direction was NOT the band's decision. In case you missed it the first time, THE LABEL SENT THE RECORD BACK TO THE BAND. THE LABEL TOLD THE BAND TO WORK ON THE RECORD. SO IF YOU DO THE MATH, THE RECORD IS NOT REPRESENTATIVE OF WHAT THE BAND WANTED TO DO.

Don't you find it strange that the band would turn in a record completed, and it gets sent back by the label to have further work done on it, and it suddenly sounds remarkably similar to all the other bands (Killswitch Engage, Hatebreed, Shadows Fall) you listed??

And for them to call themselves the "New Wave Of American Metal" is just plain insulting at that point. Not to mention, their hype is based around Kerry King's blowing smoke up other people's asses about them. The same KK who goes on and on about Slipknot......

I wasn't specifically referring to you Pest66. In your first post you wrote, "the song's not bad, better than anything on their album...". My comments were directed to those people who say a band sucks but have never even heard them. Obviously that's not you. I respect your comments BECAUSE you heard the album.

I had never heard that story about RR sending the album back to Chimaira for a re-do until you told me. It's possible it was for the reasons you said, but there are a million other reasons they could have done that too...production, songs were too long, etc...all we can do is speculate. Whatever the case, the finished product was definately better then the first release. That's all I'm trying to say.

In Flames was amazing when I saw them too in SF this summer. Soilwork only played 3 songs because Speed's voice was blown out. Chimaira was good...especially when they recorded a video for one of their songs. It got the whole crowd going.

Steiner said:
Sometimes I get the vibe that some of the old thrash fans that frequent the Testament forums refuse to listen to any new American metal bands for no other reason than they're new bands. Conratulations if that's you. You have officially become an old fart headbanger. It's only a matter of time before you're bald on top and have a pony tail in the back.
Well Steiner..I HAVE heard Chimaria..a lot...and I saw them with In Flames on this last tour and I think they are completely boring and sound just like every other band with that sound that's out there right now. I listen to plenty of new bands..I like the ones with some individuality. I love Shadows Fall, Killswitch is fairly decent, Terror 2000 is pretty good as well, the list goes on...and on..I'm really into progressive type bands, and that's what I've been listening to lately..I go through phases. I really like a little of everything..one day I'm listening to Katatonia, the next it may be Spiral Architect..then Testament or Slayer, In Flames, RUSH (the Gods of music), The Who, Led Zepplin, Obituary, The Cult, Opeth (the other Gods of music..and everything else) HA! I think you've got the picture, I'm VERY open minded and if I like it I'll listen to it..Chimaria just doesn't do it for me at all...live or otherwise..

pest666 said:
the song's not bad, better than anything on their album...

that said, they're still generic Roadrunner crap. How can you respect a band that makes that dramatic a change in their sound? I can understand wanting to sell records, but.... if they had started that way fine.

And keep in mind, that they finished the record, and the label sent it back to them and told them to work on it some more. So I doubt that their "new" sound is really what the band wanted, and more what the label wanted.
You should learn a little bit more about the band before you make a comment like this, as Chimaira did the exact opposite of what you are saying, they went completely from nu-metal to thrash metal.

Steiner said:
MindInsane...what kind of music is Spiral Architect? I've never heard of them.

They are really crazy-hard to follow progressive metal. Kind of along the lines of Death..only more intricate and completely mind blowing...I'll burn you a copy if you are interested in that kind of music...it's not for everyone.

Chimaira were never JDFU?? Are you serious?? Dude, you should just stop talking as even the guy 4 posts above who actually seems to be a CHimaira fan says they were NU metal.

As for Brainlapse, apparently you're not overly bright either as you can't seem to understand my comment..... the point was I DO NOT respect them jumping from JDFU to whatever they are now (they sure as hell aren't thrash!!!). I would have respected them more if they had been heavy then went JDFU and went back to heavy.... but it doesn't change the fact that they changed their SOUND in hopes of seeling more records. Look at Testament.... their sound has had some changes, but they NEVER tried to do JDFU.

SculptedCold said:
Heh, Chimaira have never been nu-metal. I suppose Deicide, old Seppie and Obituary are nu-metal too because they're/were on Roadrunner? =)
Ok... i guess you are right, i was just referring to it that way because thats what everyone else likes to refer Chimaria to.... and I wanted to make a comparison between old and new....

pest666 said:
Chimaira were never JDFU?? Are you serious?? Dude, you should just stop talking as even the guy 4 posts above who actually seems to be a CHimaira fan says they were NU metal.

As for Brainlapse, apparently you're not overly bright either as you can't seem to understand my comment..... the point was I DO NOT respect them jumping from JDFU to whatever they are now (they sure as hell aren't thrash!!!). I would have respected them more if they had been heavy then went JDFU and went back to heavy.... but it doesn't change the fact that they changed their SOUND in hopes of seeling more records. Look at Testament.... their sound has had some changes, but they NEVER tried to do JDFU.
First of all.... wtf is JDFU?

And if you are saying you don't respect Chimaira for changing thier sound to sell more records.... you are still missing the point. Their newer sound is a lot less commercially viable.... it definately wasn't a move to sell more records!

SunlapseVertigo said:
First of all.... wtf is JDFU?

And if you are saying you don't respect Chimaira for changing thier sound to sell more records.... you are still missing the point. Their newer sound is a lot less commercially viable.... it definately wasn't a move to sell more records!
Jump Da Fuck Up

Steiner said:
I heard them play live in a small venue after they released their first album 2 or 3 years ago. They sounded like every other live nu metal band I'd suffered through...Diecast, 40 grit, 36 Crazy Fists, Spineshank, Nonpoint.

Holy shit, you DID NOT just call Diecast Nu metal??????? WTF Are you crazy. Atleast you realize Darkane are amazing.