"Choir of the Eye": rescue operation in 28 spins

Ellestin

one-click buy
Sep 4, 2003
www.convivialhermit.net
Spin 1

The odds are still dim so far. I can't go beyond the duality boring minimalism/unnerving bursts of cacophony. That said I'll confess I spent one half of the album on MSN and part of the fourth track on the shitter. I'll do better next time. :cool:

Rescue probability: 06%

This will be an exciting journey. If you end up loving it by the end, I too shall buy it. I've always thought about it similar to yourself it would seem and have been on the fence about buying it. You shall determine my fate as well, Ellestin.

Ellestin said:
Spin 1

The odds are still dim so far. I can't go beyond the duality boring minimalism/unnerving bursts of cacophony. That said I'll confess I spent one half of the album on MSN and part of the fourth track on the shitter. I'll do better next time. :cool:

Rescue probability: 06%

28 listens won't do anything if you expect something out of them. Let your mind by carried by the songs. Be passive and detached. Just don't try to get something out of it.

keep spinning.

Yeah, it's not necessarily about the amount of listens (although that's important) but your mindset going into it. If you try too hard to enjoy something, it almost never works.

i just realized that's one o' them Serta Sheep in yer avatar. i think anyhow. one of them mattress companies. you're taking this "new bedding" thing a bit seriously i think. :loco:

Plzdatemekthx said:
i just realized that's one o' them Serta Sheep in yer avatar. i think anyhow. one of them mattress companies. you're taking this "new bedding" thing a bit seriously i think. :loco:

hahahaha ... it is

and still have not scored new bedding sheets. fucking Macy's was like Vietnam yesterday.

hahaha yeah i ended up in some outdoor mall thingy late last night, tons of people everywhere. by the time we left everything was closed so i was forced to piss on the Citibank building. :headbang:

Spin 2

OK, there's no way I'll ever call that pretentious art-fag shit, I'm starting to dig the way they pick up smoothly early-aborted builds especially on "Marathon", and I sure like how the instruments have been recorded with lots of space between tracks.
But I'm in death pains getting what the fuck is supposed to be going on 75% of the time. Also, I lost focus halfway through "Manifold..." yet again. Headphones and laying back will be for later, I need to keep track of these fucking songs first.

Rescue probability: 15%

ARRRRRRRRR!!!

there's a point in Manifold where it grabs you and doesn't let go until the end, but it takes awhile to get there. my favorite part of the album.

Cool thread. However, I have to question the value. This year, I imagine I've listened to some part of 300 CDs, based largely on word of mouth or a positive review. If I don't like a CD, I don't usually spin it a second time. There are exceptions of course. If there's something there, that piques my curiosity, I'll give it additional listens. Or, if a number of people whose opinions I value are raving about it, I'll give it additional spins. However, I'm never going to dedicate 28 hours of my life to listening to a CD that I don't like, in the hopes that I might find value in it.

Zod

i can usually tell if an album is going to be worth the effort, and oftentimes i don't like those albums the first several spins. if i think it's worth unravelling, i take the time. if not, i chuck it and move on.

however it doesn't always depend on the complexity. like take the latest Clutch album, that one didn't get great until at least 10 spins or so, and it's far from a complex listen. just big riffs and catchy choruses.

Ellestin said:
Spin 2

OK, there's no way I'll ever call that pretentious art-fag shit, I'm starting to dig the way they pick up smoothly early-aborted builds especially on "Marathon", and I sure like how the instruments have been recorded with lots of space between tracks.
But I'm in death pains getting what the fuck is supposed to be going on 75% of the time. Also, I lost focus halfway through "Manifold..." yet again. Headphones and laying back will be for later, I need to keep track of these fucking songs first.

Rescue probability: 15%
Awesome.

May I ask, do you take drugs, alcohol?

General Zod said:
I'm never going to dedicate 28 hours of my life to listening to a CD that I don't like, in the hopes that I might find value in it.

Zod

I wouldn't do that with every other shit CD, tbh

Ellestin

PS: And I owe it to NAD, whom I love.

oh! hey Ellestin you know the back of the artwork booklet thingy is the song structure for ummm, The Antique i believe (somebody correct me if i'm wrong plz). so you can follow along if you'd like! :D

edit: i luv u 2