Choirs (VST, programs etc etc)

Oct 14, 2007
Looking for Darkane quality sounding...Sounds :err:

Was wondering if anyone could recommend me some links, or programs to purchase that can get me where I need to go.

Does anyone know if the voices can be separated and individually muted/soloed so you could have only one voice singing, not the whole choir?

Just out of curiousity, what are you referring to?

I love Darkane's orchastral/choir work, it's absolutely beautiful in my opinion, no matter how dark.

Does anyone know if the voices can be separated and individually muted/soloed so you could have only one voice singing, not the whole choir?

If you're using samples like Symphonic Choir, Symphony of Voices, or such, then you just create a new instrument loaded with solo voices that are part of the sample sets. If you're using something like Magnus Choir...nope...it's the full choir or nothing.

In it's defense, Magnus Choir sounds pretty dang good for a cheap VSTi, but it's limited in its sound.

If you have a sampler like Kontakt or such and want some good choir samples for cheap...try these. A fellow Sneapster pointed me to those a while back. I just finally got around to using them, and LOVE them (although this doesn't have solo voices :( )

If you're using samples like Symphonic Choir, Symphony of Voices, or such, then you just create a new instrument loaded with solo voices that are part of the sample sets. If you're using something like Magnus Choir...nope...it's the full choir or nothing.

I've been wanting to use a female, somewhat operatic single voice where I can program the lyrics like Symphonic Choir does with Wordbuilder. Upon listening to the samples on the site again, I do hear some single voices. They seem rather unclear though (can't understand whats being sung) and a bit too digital-fake-programmed maybe. Still, this might be what I need...

Thanks for the info grywolf! :kickass:

Welcome! I may be mistaken, but I think I read where the word builder in Symphonic Choir only works with the choirs, and not the solo voices. But, maybe I read incorrectly. I myself am hunting for some good solo voices. The $600 price tag for Symphonic Choir, or $400 for Symphony of Voices (which has some great solo voices) is out of my price range. I'm even trying to just grab isolated vocal notes that I like, and pitching them up and down through various means. So far, the results are somewhat encouraging. But I'm having a heck of a time getting the sample loops points set up correctly so it sounds more or less natural when it loops (for sustained notes).

i'm pretty sure all the choirs in darkane's music have always been real people. There's a video of them recording rusted angel with a small choir of like 6 people.

Yes, your´re right! There was 14 people on the Rusted Angel recording, and about 30-35 on the intro of Insanity and Layers of Lies. So just the real deal... =) It sounds better, but it sucks to organize all people to meet at the same time.