Chris Lucas - Tech Death - Putrid Manifestation Ov Isis-Tuts + Session + Multitracks

I'll get to commenting on these mixes soon, sorry about not being as involved as I'd like to be. I just get so caught up in recording the next songs!

We'll be doing this more, we're already done writing the next one, thanks for all the positive comments!

Gave this a shot. My first time mixing something this style. Pretty happy with it.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19506497/Putrid Manifestation Ov Isis.mp3

thanks for these awesome multi tracks.

EDIT: Brought the guitars up a bit.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19506497/Putrid Manifestation Ov Isis 2.mp3

The guitars seem way too focused into one frequency area for my tastes. The vocal distortion is really cool though, I think it'd be especially cool if it was brought forward and out towards the sides more. Drums sound kinda "hollow" to me but the kick and snare have a pretty convincing "pop". I like it :D, thanks for mixing our crazy shit!

Fun song to work with! I do love me some tech death Here's my crack at it!

https://soundcloud.com/paulsh90/chris-lucas-putrid

I like how present the bass is in your mix, totally different style from how I mixed it but it's cool. It almost sounds old school? I feel like the high end of the whole mix is killed but honestly it sounds just like the artifacts from the sound cloud bit rate. Vocals are dope though, just the right place and perfect amount of saturation I think. Guitar solo needed a lot more gain though haha :p. Thanks for mixing our stuff!

Hi,
My try:

You Tube

Stay Metal !

The snare in this sounds kinda disconnected from the rest of the mix. It pops, but in a distracting way (to me). The guitar tone also makes the mix sound WET AS FUCK, tons of gain. I mean, the drums have a lot of verb but holy shit this mix is like a waterfall of sound it's so wet. Now, that's totally dope, and I really dig the mix, I just think it's funny how it sounds compared to mine which is generally so dry. Vocals were also a bit fatiguing to listen to. Thanks for mixing our stuffffffff!!!!!!!! Also double thanks for sharing it as a response on YT!

Cool track
Thanks for uploading.
It has "ov" in the title so I had to go all Behemoth on it
Cranked Triple recto for the guitars.
I always find it hard to mix midi drums but here is my mix.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/2133088/Ov_Isis.mp3

Drums sounds kinda thin and in the background, but they are loud enough at the same time. I like the creative effect on the vocal, definitely some pitch shifting going on or something, an octave down? The guitar tone is FAT as fuck too, really dig it, really melds with the bass. I have a hard time hearing the pick attack definition in the guitar a bit though, maybe it needed a touch more high end? Either way, sick mix, thanks for mixing our stuff!

Soundcloud version for instant playback (in shitty lo-fi mp3)
https://soundcloud.com/trackmixstudio/putrid-manifestation-ov-isis

You really exaggerated that vocal effect, and I think since the vocal is so dry it sounds kinda bleh. Our those our reamps? It sounds like them. But I do dig the guitar tone a lot, really fits with the rest of the mix, gives it enough space in the high end for the drums and vox. The bass seems really loud or uncontrolled or something and it's making the guitars sounds kinda pumpy. I like the mix man, thanks for posting :D!

I gave it a try, didn't spend that much time on vocals though. https://dl.dropbox.com/u/19917325/putrid.mp3

The guitars seem too focused in the high end or something, can't put my finger on it. Bass also seems kinda uncontrolled and really swallows the kick drum. OH could come up, which drum kit are you using? I like the vocal effect, but why did everyone on the forum somehow all use the same vocal effect lmao. I like the mix overall, just those things I noticed I didn't like. Thanks a ton for mixing our stuff!

Dammmmmmmn this mix is brootz. That sick reverse snare in the beginning 30 seconds made me giggle lol. This mix definitely got me bobbing my head :kickass:. Guitars are a BIT oppressive for my tastes and a bit fatiguing to listen to, but overall I love it. Thanks for mixing it!

In case you don't follow me on FB: I'm setting up my recording gear back at my garage and I'm going to be able to record my Pearl Reference kit again. So look forward to real drums in future songs (not the next one though)! Also I'll probably make samples of the kit with new heads this time around and give them out

Hi,
That song is brutal!

Here's my mix, with XLN Additive Drums and TSE X50(6505 ampsim) for the guitars:

I'm a n00b regarding mixes, so let me know your thoughts and what can I do to improve :)

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello everyone, my name is Michael Markie. I am the guitarist that works with Chris Lucas on the few songs we've put out. We have a new thrash song coming out soon with me doing some hilariously stupid vocals. I'll try to respond to a bunch of submissions, if I forget anyone, just please post again and I'll get to you!

Hi Chris .. Thanks for track .. My try just mixing NO mastering . .

http://soundcloud.com/mooks02091989/cris-lucas-putrid

i'am mix in laptop with internal pci souncard , not external souncard . .
i need more practice .. :kickass:

I like this mix! For the most part everything is audible. I would suggest tweaking the vocals a little bit because they sit a little too loud on top of the rest of the mix and they are a little dry in the reverb department. The guitars sound great, really nice and chunky but I suggest dialing a little bit of the gain back to keep it from getting too noisy in some spots and EQing some more of the high end out. The drums are cool, I would suggest bringing the kick drum a little bit in front of the mix and making sure that it sits right on top of the rhythm guitar for the awesome chest pounding brutal stuff. I had trouble hearing the beginning and last section of the main guitar solo and it could've used a teeny bit more gain. The first note that I sustain kinda peters out earlier than it should. I like the bass guitar presence in the mix but I'm not sure whether or not it's clipping the low end a little bit. Overall, solid stuff! You made it pretty brutal. :D

Hi,
That song is brutal!

Here's my mix, with XLN Additive Drums and TSE X50(6505 ampsim) for the guitars:

I'm a n00b regarding mixes, so let me know your thoughts and what can I do to improve :)

Cheers

The guitar tone in this is killer, just dial back the gain a little bit for this style of metal because of how fast the song is. Gallops that fast start to get a little muddy when there's a bit too much gain. Also, add a touch of gain to the lead guitar during the solo. I suggest some kind of tube screamer pedal simulator in whichever amp sim program you're using. I liked the verb you put on the lead guitar though, kinda gives it a classic death metal vibe and I really like that. Reminds me of old Necrophagist. I also suggest you bring up the vocals a little bit and maybe compress them a teeny bit harder or use vocal rider if you aren't already because they sound a bit uneven in volume between some parts. Overall, pretty clean mix! Turning down the gain on the rhythm guitar channel will work wonders for the rest of your mix though, it'll free up so much room.

My first dirty try :devil::

// edit remixed

I like the way you made the vocals sound in this mix. They really pop out clearly and are perfectly audible without being overwhelming. There's something strange about the guitar tone that I can't really put my finger on though. What amp sim did you use and how did you EQ them? In some parts they're grooving hard while in others it gets a little noisy and piercing. Once again, I think dialing back some of the gain would do wonders to even things out. I'd also suggest using a different snare sample, this current one pops a little much for my personal taste although that IS a pretty old school death metal thing to do. Good stuff!

Amazing song!

Here's my attempt at a mix:

Really aggressive mix! I think you did a good job of capturing how angry this song is haha. The bass is pumping but I would suggest you cut out some of the low end because it clips considerably in some parts and put the high end back in a little bit so it has a little bit of that bass twang that sounds awesome. My biggest problem with this mix, and everyone elses for that matter, is too much gain on the rhythm guitars! Dialing some of that back makes every single other layer in the song shine a little more and actually makes the guitars MORE brutal because the defined pick attack will begin to come out. A good example is during the riff at 1:29 you can hear some nasty feedback in the gaps in the rhythm guitar track. That's a good indicator of too much gain not enough nose gate. Also, what happened to the guitar leads? Were they left out in the multitracks that you downloaded or you just didn't get around to finishing them? Just wondering. The vocals are well done, everything for the most part is crystal clear although I would suggest either compressing it a bit harder or using a different comp because some parts are uneven in volume and intensity. Drums are nice and brutal, just bring the kick drum up a tiny bit and try to match it perfectly with the rhythm guitar via EQ and compression for the super brutal pick attack kick drum symmetry they can achieve. Great stuff though, BROOTZ!

So amazing guitar player ! I enjoyed mix it.
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32811273/Isis.mp3

What pickup on his Schecter, 701 or 707?

Hey Axell, thank you very much! The guitar I used in the video is a 2007 or 2008 Schecter C-7 Hellraiser assembled in America with EMG 707's in both the neck and bridge.

The drums and vocals in your mix sound great together, although I would suggest using a slightly more exaggerated reverb on the vox. I like your rhythm guitar tone, although I would suggest you lower the gain a bit and EQ out some of the high end fizz that's in there. Also, something is clipping the low end something fierce, either the rhythm guitar or bass. Try out a slightly tighter EQ and see if that cleans up some of the nasty rumble that's coming out. Also, good job on gating the riff at 1:29 because I've noticed a lot of people might have forgotten to do that and left in a bunch of feed back. What kind of distortion did you use on your bass guitar? I'm not sure if I'm hearing it right but from what I think I heard, dial back a little of the distortion on it because it's losing a lot of the clarity that it could have. I also believe you forgot to pan the diminshed harmonies in the solo left and right, that'd clean up the sound a bunch during that part. Also, I believe the right channel harmony is missing during the outro riff but I'm not sure if that was your fault or if that was missing from your download. The lead tone was cool, just add a touch of a tube screamer pedal or something so it doesn't lose sustain in the beginning parts and ending bend. Great work though, you got it sounding nice and brutal!

Overall you guys are doing a pretty good job. I've noticed the #1 most consistent problem people are having with their mixes is overestimating how much distortion they need on the rhythm guitars. In my opinion, the secret to brutal guitar tone is having VERY audible pick attack and having the guitars and kick drum sit on top of each other EQ and compression wise, with every gallop from the guitars and kick drums pounding you in the chest at the same time/clarity/intensity.

Thanks for putting in the time to mix this, hope you guys are having as much fun as we are! If anyone has any other questions, feel free to post here. I'll try to answer as soon as possible or as soon as I remember that I need to check this thread. (lol)

PS: I just want to post this emoticon because it's been dancing in my face for the entire hour I've been writing this up.

:fu:

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your feedback, I'm quite new to mixing so I appreciate your input :)

I've followed your suggestions a did a new mix, I've also added some more mids to the bass to make it a bit more audible.
Here's the new mix:

Let me know if it sounds better to your ears hehe

Btw, your guitar skills are awesome dude, keep it up :D

Cheers!

Thanks for the feedback! Really appreciate having someone give some constructive advice for a change :)

Here's a revised mix, would be great if you can let me know if it's better

Siriun, I don't like the guitar sound, maybe to harsch for me and too loud in the mix, the same for vocals.
Otherwise, bass/drums sound good for me.

And the lourd parts of the mix seem to be saturated.