Chris using Ibanez (6 string) S series?

This doesn't surprise me too much, I didn't think that the 7 string would really fit with Megadeth's style that well, and playing 6 string stuff even on a 7 string is a bitch.

I'm personally more surprised Mustaine hasn't persuaded [forced] Broderick to start playing Dean yet.

The only guitar I play now is my 7 string.
I can still play all the Megadeth riffs I learnt on a 6 string just fine.
Of course, if you don't have a good muting technique, you'll get extraneous noise from the low B string from time to time, but come on, seriously, if you have your technique down, playing 6 string stuff on a 7 is no harder than playing it on a 6. I don't think someone of Chris Broderick's caliber had trouble playing the material on a 7 string.
I think though, what was said above is true. It's easier to deal with a locking trem on a 6 string than a 7 string, and a 6 string has a different sound due to the smaller neck, and the tonal difference might have been more suitable perhaps.

Wow...but I knew it was going to happen eventually. I had the slim hope that Dave had tamed a bit with enforcing things like this but I guess some things never change. I like Mustaine and Megadeth and have followed Dave and crew since the mid 80's, so I am a fan and it's been cool as hell to have Chris in the band, especially after being a JP fan as well...but I really dig Chris's style with the 7 String and I LOVE his tone with the Engl! I've played Ibanez guitars myself (RG series!) since the 80's and I even got myself an Engl Invader a couple of years ago. Not all because of Chris, but his playing and tone we're definitely a contributing factor! I found it pretty damn cool to see a recent HDnet concert recently with all those Marshalls, and that menacing Engl section behind Chris. Cool. :headbang: Chris uses an Engl Special Edition which is a killer amp and is in NO WAY an inferior amp to any Marshall. I was looking forward to hearing some Engl tones on the new Megadeth but it sounds like it's not going to happen. Yeah Marshall is like THE standard amp and it's certainly possible to get great sounds with them, but the Engl SE is such a monster amp with a presence and perfect match for a style like Chris'. It is refreshing to see someone using something other than the de facto standard to get the sound he or she feels is right for them. I sure hope he isn't stuck using Digitech digital stuff.... yuck! Where is all of this this stated at anyway? I'd like to read more about it. The modeling and rack stuff Dave and Glenn were using previously were Line 6 and Rocktron Prophesy preamps.

As for the explanation above in regards to Judas Priest using Marshalls...um...JP are using Engls now! I'm sure they stack up the Marshalls for show but I believe KK and Glenn are recent Engl endorsees now.
I'm well aware Chris is going to impress and slay with whatever amp or gear he uses without question! I just liked seeing Engl in a high profile band and again, being the gear junkie that I am, I liked the tones and sounds he got out of the amp. The RG LAC series were also great guitars. The S series look smaller. My wife plays an S series Ibanez! Nothing against guys who use them...just that they're slimmer, lighter guitars and I prefer the look of the RGs. It just seems so over the top that a "band decision" was needed to tell a band member what equipment to use when he already uses top notch stuff!

Again...Kudos to him for being a team guy. Not many of those around anymore and it shows that the guy has a grounded personality to go along with his amazing abilities. :kickass:

I think you're reading into this too much. When he gets tired of putting up with dave's shit, he'll hopefully go back to the engl and 7 strings.

Personally, i'd rather hear some new nevermore and jag panzer than megadeth.

The only guitar I play now is my 7 string.
I can still play all the Megadeth riffs I learnt on a 6 string just fine.
Of course, if you don't have a good muting technique, you'll get extraneous noise from the low B string from time to time, but come on, seriously, if you have your technique down, playing 6 string stuff on a 7 is no harder than playing it on a 6. I don't think someone of Chris Broderick's caliber had trouble playing the material on a 7 string.
I think though, what was said above is true. It's easier to deal with a locking trem on a 6 string than a 7 string, and a 6 string has a different sound due to the smaller neck, and the tonal difference might have been more suitable perhaps.

Well, changing from 6 string to 7 string is not as easy as it seems. It has it's learning curve, and the majority of people don't get used to a 7 string, if it was easier more people would be using them. Plus, there is that way of thinking that, a low B string is only for getting lower riffs and rhythms when in fact it extends your ability to play anything on the guitar: riffs, lead solos, chords, etc. that's why it's is refered as an extended scale guitar.

The problem in playing 6 string riffs or rhythms on a 7 string, is because of the pick/plectrum's attack angle on the 6 string,the main string used in rhythms. On a 6 string, the angle of attack that most players use it's basically a 90º from the pick/plecturm to the string, on a 7 string is not, it's the same as in all other strings except the 7 string, that is, 6,5,4,3,2,1 are played in about 45º angle, and the 7 is in a 90º angle. In a 6 string is 45º angle for 5,4,3,2,1 and 90º for the 6 string.
All this to say that, the sound/tone you ear from playing rhyhthm on the 6 tring differs greatly from a 6 string guitar to a 7 string guitar, because of what I just explained. And because the majority of the rhythm compositions made on a 6 string guitar are for the 6string...there's a problem when using 7 string...you can't get enought "heaviness" when needed, it's physically impossible.

The mutting technique is not an issue on a 7 string guitar, as well as using a Floyd-Rose tremolo on a 7 string..it's irrelevant, you'll learn how to use it with practicing and playing.

What's relevant and important is getting used to the wider neck and specially making the necessary mental adjustments concerning the extra 7 string, when playing.

Cheers,
Hugo

I would like to add that Engl's myspace says that Megadeth uses their amps..........

see for yourself....

and chris still has engl on his top friends, and endorsements list.........

I would like to add that Engl's myspace says that Megadeth uses their amps..........

see for yourself....

and chris still has engl on his top friends, and endorsements list.........

Well that is the nature of endorsement isn't it? They have to be there. It makes no difference whatsoever though, as neither Dave nor Chris uses a real amp for Megadeth. The wall of Marshall, even Dave's new signature cab, is just there for show.

hmm... interesting. I kind of guessed Chris would keep his endorsement but would Engl be permitted to mention Megadeth without some involvement with Dave? I really dig the thick guitar tone on the new track regardless if it's a Marshall JVM, Rocktron Prophesy, or whatever, but it does sound thick and mean in the usual Sneap way!

Well that is the nature of endorsement isn't it? They have to be there. It makes no difference whatsoever though, as neither Dave nor Chris uses a real amp for Megadeth. The wall of Marshall, even Dave's new signature cab, is just there for show.

?? Even if they are using Line6 modelers (which they aren't) they are still "real amps" so I don't know what you mean. Of course the wall of cabs are not functioning, that's standard "RnR" stage presence for how many decades now?!? But I'm sure there is some sort of amp back there be it a JVM, Prophesy/VHT rack, Engl, whatever. I doubt they're plugging into some POD or software into the board. Yuk. Talk about some brutal, sterile live tone!

uhm, but POD is Line 6! what was meant was, using a tube amp and not a digital amp. and modelers are not the "real" amps, they are simulating, right? ;)
I have no idea if they use a floor POD system into the P.A. or a tube amp through 4x12 (or 2x12) speaker, or a combo, or POD though speakers, or what else one could use... I have seen and heard many of these solutions, with both great and bad outcome... but I don't care what they use, I don't see myself at a Megadeth gig. ;)

?? Even if they are using Line6 modelers (which they aren't) they are still "real amps" so I don't know what you mean. Of course the wall of cabs are not functioning, that's standard "RnR" stage presence for how many decades now?!? But I'm sure there is some sort of amp back there be it a JVM, Prophesy/VHT rack, Engl, whatever. I doubt they're plugging into some POD or software into the board. Yuk. Talk about some brutal, sterile live tone!

OK I'm gonna say this one last time, then say read the whole post before you comment.

Chris Broderick is my Guitar teacher, and we talk about this stuff in depth. Dave and Chris use Digitech rack modellers in the studio and live. Yes Digitech. Line 6 aren't the only manufacturer on this kind of thing, in fact Digitech have been doing it longer. No one in Megadeth uses real amps as this is a far better system for them to mix and monitor.

I happen to be a Marshall and ENGL fan myself, and wouldn't choose to go this way, but I understand why they did. And from what I saw of their gig in February, they sounded amazing live, so Dave Mustane deserves credit for this.

uhm, but POD is Line 6! what was meant was, using a tube amp and not a digital amp. and modelers are not the "real" amps, they are simulating, right? ;)
I have no idea if they use a floor POD system into the P.A. or a tube amp through 4x12 (or 2x12) speaker, or a combo, or POD though speakers, or what else one could use... I have seen and heard many of these solutions, with both great and bad outcome... but I don't care what they use, I don't see myself at a Megadeth gig. ;)

Again, Line 6 did not magically come out of nowhere with amp modelling, dozens of other companies did it first. No one said anything about Megadeth using Line 6, you assumed it. They use Digitech, as per my previous posts.

of course you are right, they are not the only company. but that was not the point, was it? boss, korg, digitech... does not matter... I just was referring to the post above mine (should have quoted it, though), I did not say, they use line 6! just listed what one could use (digital vs. tube)...

fact is, that today, many albums are recorded with modeling amps, Ayreon albums have a great guitar tone, and Pain of Salvation use it live and in studio, too.
I like my Engl set up, and don't want to change, but it makes sense, not to have a loud stage sound (or better, no backline shooting at all), and not only from a monitor and FOH point of view.
but as said, I don't really care that much about megadeths solution, but it's interesting to know how different bands work, so thanks for the information! :)

OK I'm gonna say this one last time, then say read the whole post before you comment.

Chris Broderick is my Guitar teacher, and we talk about this stuff in depth. Dave and Chris use Digitech rack modellers in the studio and live. Yes Digitech. Line 6 aren't the only manufacturer on this kind of thing, in fact Digitech have been doing it longer. No one in Megadeth uses real amps as this is a far better system for them to mix and monitor.

I happen to be a Marshall and ENGL fan myself, and wouldn't choose to go this way, but I understand why they did. And from what I saw of their gig in February, they sounded amazing live, so Dave Mustane deserves credit for this.

Whoa man. First off, I detest with every single ounce of my being any lazy person who posts messages, without reading the posts before hand and not reading things entirely, so I WOULD NOT DO THAT or BE that person. I read this entire thread, I've been following it. I'm not sure where the hell that smug comment came from. I never get myself worked up over cockyness spilling out from behind someone's computer monitor but what gives? Read the thread before I post? What are you referring to?

First off, I've been playing for 28 to 30 years now. I've had lessons as a kid and a bunch in my 20's. I believe you never stop learning and even now, I'd still enjoy lessons with Chris if I was so fortunate so congrats that you've gotten that experience(I thought he was temporarily suspending lessons a year ago or so?).

I work at a production company, I've owned and used so many different types of amps, preamps, preamps in the 80's that were all digital with direct outs (early modelers?), pods, etc. So I am quite aware of the different types out there. I also record so I know the many different ways to get a guitar signal to tape...uh wait...to disk these days.

I assumed the subject matter was in regards to LIVE, not recording. I did mention that I'd like to hear Chris's Engl on tape...err disk but I also saw a mention of stacks of cabs. Excuse me for being confused, but no reason to get snippy with "last time" and "go back and read" comments. That was rude and uncalled for. Nice manners.

I also follow Andy Sneap's forum since I enjoy his advice and peaking into his techniques for recording. He does still mic amps, yes he'll record direct and he'll also re-amp as well. Which could be intially a direct recorded guitar track, re-ampped using a 5150 or Recto or whatever. There is no standard or official bible to recording. Whatever works and sounds the best...do it.

I'm sure since you speak to Chris you have a nice inside track to this, very cool for sharing. It's interesting, but again, the attack wasn't warranted and you could have been cool but you decided to be too cool I guess. I've been a Megadeth fan since 85 or 86 and I've seen Jag Panzer 4 or 5 times. I did get to speak briefly to Chris at the Powermad Festival in Baltimore, MD in 2000 and he was amazing as usual that night. I even have (had!!) footage of their entire set since I had my HI8 camera taping all the bands for some metal show I was editing for at that time. So....I'm a gear junkie and I love to know what bands use live, record etc and I know what Dave has used over the years and I saw Chris with his Powerball and then his killer SE. I was just asking and questioning up there.

ahh...whatever, no use gettng worked up over this. I'm sure someone will single out one or two lines here will be quote me out of context. :rolleyes:

thanks man.