Chuck billy comparisons to James Hetfield...

billyvox

New Metal Member
Feb 8, 2006
Who thinks that Chuck Billy sounds like James Hetfield? I can hear the diffrence but whenever im playing testament in the car my friends are always like ooo is this metallica? and I hate that, and they are like they sound jus like them. Anyone?

never and never think like that.All Thrash Metal groups are different and all of them are gods

I never thought that Chuck and James sound the same. A lot of people out there say that but I really don't know why. I think even Anthrax's lead guitarist once said that Chuck sounds like James. They are both two of the best metal singers out there but I like Chuck's voice more and I'm not just saying that because I like Testament more than Metallica.

that guy from disturbed sort of sounds like chuck. I was listening to nightmare off of pwyp and then I saw a disturbed video, and i noticed it. I would also say james sounds like chuck on pwyp, thats it though, not on any other albums.

Spreadingthe Living312 said:
Except Annihilator because they fucking suck.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Personally, I like Annihilator. I'm looking forward to their 2 disc dvd later this month.

As for the James/Chuck comparison. I've heard that a lot from other people, but it's usually from people who don't listen to metal, therefore everything sounds the same to them. I never understood it myself, I don't think they sound alike at all.

The first time I heard Testament was Practice What You Preach and my initial thought was that Chuck sounded like a mix of James Hetfield and Dave Mustaine. In later records his voice matured and there isn't a similarity anymore. But I thought they sounded similar in the old days.

Spreadingthe Living312 said:
Except Annihilator because they fucking suck.

yeah i don't like some songs from schizo deluxe but they are good than Metallica cause Metallica kicked Thrash Metal.So for me Metallica sucks after Black album.

There are some minor similarities (especially in the older stuff), but both have their own, unique styles and talking they sound alike is way exagerated

I don't think they sound anything alike.. I like both, but Chuck has so much more range then Hetfield.. (or any other thrash metal singer) it's not even funny.

Actually the first time I heard Testament was the album The New Order and Chuck DOES sound like James somewhat on that album, imo.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. Personally, I like Annihilator. I'm looking forward to their 2 disc dvd later this month.
Cool when exactly is this out,i really like early Annihilator.

Return to Serenity said:
I don't think they sound anything alike.. I like both, but Chuck has so much more range then Hetfield.. (or any other thrash metal singer) it's not even funny.

What are you talking about? Have you heard any of Metallica's 90's stuff? Jaymz has so much range, especially on the song Astronomy.

I personally don't think they are alike, especially since Jaymz said himself he's not into Death Metal vox like chuck is. Besides, I think Jaymz IS both the face and voice of metal, but chuck comes in close, his vox between 86-94 were fucking great.