Circa 2021: Notable Releases

Is Boss Keloid any good? I've seen them hyped quite a bit.

why don’t you take a listen and decide for yourself? Nothing anyone else says is gonna determine if you like it or not. ;)

with that said, I’ve always been interested in what they were doing but was never 100% sold until this new album.

Skepticism have a new one out later this year. There is a new track out too on Spotify etc.
wow, thanks for the heads-up

reflections:
* it's fast and kind of riffy, what the fuck?
* the lead guitars and the weirdly high-pitched vocals sometimes make it sound more like standard finno-metal (swallow the sun, et al) than classic skepticism
* were it not for the distinct drumming style and the big lush carpets of organ i don't know that i would have even associated this song with skepticism
* not so sure about this tbh

I liked it. Definitely a more "immediate" version of their sound. Maybe this is just their attempt at a catchy lead single.

okay. it's not horrible, but hardly worth bringing home to mom. this is sneak-in-the-window then throw her ass out so you can sleep material

if this didnt have the name "skepticism" on it, no one would give a shit and it would be relegated to the ignore pile along with other death doom try-hards.

they had a winning formula

they had a winning formula
well... did they actually?

the older i get, the more honest i am with myself, and the more their work ferments in my brain, the more i realize that only "stormcrowfleet" and "aes" are truly, truly great imo. well, "farmakon" is pretty special too, but i am rarely in the mood to listen to it.

Reactions: MFJ
the mastering is fucking terrible on the new one too, i mean that goes almost without saying nowadays, but it's so disappointing because skepticism with its big huge drums and lots of low frequencies especially benefits so much from large dynamic range and conservative mastering, but instead of the beefy, roomy, atmospheric tones of stormcrowfleet or farmakon we get this flat, weak, tiresome crunchy nonsense

absolutely crushed to dust by compression, even on laptop speakers it's hot garbage.

Last edited:
well... did they actually?

the older i get, the more honest i am with myself, and the more their work ferments in my brain, the more i realize that only "stormcrowfleet" and "aes" are truly, truly great imo. well, "farmakon" is pretty special too, but i am rarely in the mood to listen to it.

i think so. i never heard Ordeal, but I did hear everything up to it, and I think Alloy is one their best, if not second after SCF.

I dont know funeral doom these days, but Im not aware of another band in the genre that maintained such consistency in quality.

i think so. i never heard Ordeal, but I did hear everything up to it, and I think Alloy is one their best, if not second after SCF.

I dont know funeral doom these days, but Im not aware of another band in the genre that maintained such consistency in quality.
okay, that's fair enough. i agree that they've been very consistent.

never heard ordeal either. the idea of putting new songs only on a live album has no appeal to me.

Thoughts and comments about the Stormcrowfleet remix/re-release?

I think it's awesome.
unnecessary imo, i prefer the original

the original acoustic intro to the gallant crow is interesting to hear but i think they did the right thing by cutting it out