Circle of 12 Tones Game/Competition

Zyquix

Jan 30, 2006
I had a cool idea (well at least I think it's cool.) Everyone's always wondering where Ron gets his crazy ideas for songs, and luckily for us he (~foolishly :p ~) let us in on one of his methods, The Circle of 12 Tones. I'm sure by now, we've all read it and have been confused, but hopefully understand it now. So now we can finally think like The Man.

We should have a game where we all use the same 'key', then see who can write the best riffs out of them. (you gotta post them here, too, obviously)

Every round we'll switch to a new key. (you can still go back and write something for an old key, if you miss it or suddenly think of something good.)

Rules:
1.Any style is permitted (although it could get hard to get certain styles with certain clusters)
2.Can use different octaves
3.MIDI's OK
4.Don't be a bitch and steal someone else's material.
5.Little licks and solos (whether they're over a riff/progression or not) must also follow the note cluster.
6.You can use a cluster in as many different ways as you want before moving to the next cluster.

Only 1 track needed, though if you want, include more tracks, but we'll only be judging by the 12 tone track.

Hopefully this will build creativity in all of our writing. There won't be any official voting, just discussion, praise, and CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. I don't want to play by myself, so... is anyone else interested? Oh, and both Ron and Rudolph can play in our game. :D

Cool.. anyone else?

And if someone wants to play, they can suggest to add or modify a rule that I haven't thought of.

Hey man, thanks for posting, I almost forgot about this myself..

So I just drew this one up and here are the clusters

B E F# G
A C C# D#
A# D F G#

kkv2- you still in this?
Any one else is still free to join. Now go start writing! Deadline is... fuck the deadline, but keep it in reason.

Does it have to be a guitar piece? Basically I mean does it have to be a piece capable of being played on guitar? Or could I write, say, a 2-handed keyboard piece?

Yes, it has to be a guitar. A blue guitar to be specific.

I keed. Nah, go for it. :D

..I've barely worked on this... :\

Haha well I wasn't expecting everyone to be staying up all night working on it, because I know I certainly wouldn't be. But it's an interesting compositional exercise that really helps with your writing. I suppose thanks must go to Ron for the idea, or at least explaining it in terms and diagrams that someone without a music degree can understand.

I think I'll have more time over the weekend. I've actually only been using the first cluster so far. Yeah people, don't break your backs to get something written all quick, take your time..

Haha I've gotta say I'm actually really liking this challenge so far. I've set myself little sub-challenges within it, because I don't really enjoy writing boring 3/4 or 4/4 licks, I've decided to only use those time signatures if it's in an interesting way, i.e. playing over the bar line. I'm writing drums to go with mine as well, because I think it's easier to write with a groove already in your head. I'll keep working on it and let y'all know when I'm finished!

I got my new PC and Line 6 TonePort yesterday, been at it all night to get somewhat of a decent tone. I think I finaly got something worth showing.

The riff is ok I guess, not the best I have ever written, but it is the best thing I could do with these note groups. Hope you like it, and yes, I know it sounds a bit like the blotted science clips :) This wasn't done on purpose, it just happened. Probably because this kind of writing immediately gets me in the tech metal mood.

The drums were done on a crappy sequencer in "Live", something like Cubase, that came with the Toneport.

I added the Guitar Pro file for anyone interested.

Diabolus' Entry

GP4 File

For easier access, I made an account at Soundclick:

http://www.soundclick.com/diabolusbe

Reactions: atilla000
Nice, nice.

Now someone with a fast melodic riff, some octaves higher? :)
Maybe I could give it a try, but it'll be sequenced midi, don't have decent recording stuff right now...

Ok so I was struck with writer's block, so it's not finished, but it's been a long time, so I thought I should post it anyway.

What I like about Ron's and Diabolus' riffs were that there's not really a tonal center, which is the point of this technique. But what I tend to do is use one cluster as much as I can, then move on the next, so what I ended up doing was sectioning up the song, grouping each cluster next to each other.. So a big portion of the song sounds minor, until X:XX time and the mode or whatever changes, and it's like that until the next cluster, pretty much destroying the point of using this. Maybe I'll screw with the arrangement a bit and let riffs appear more in the song. Either way, as long as it sounds good, it doesn't make the riffs any less valid (in my opinion). Hell maybe this could just be my 'variation' of the technique. So here it is- You can tell I start to lose it at about 3:24- I'm not too into that last riff, I'll probably take it out. (drums and bass also written by me)

YouSendIt: The Leader in File Delivery.

Let me know what you guys think.

Ok so I was struck with writer's block, so it's not finished, but it's been a long time, so I thought I should post it anyway.

What I like about Ron's and Diabolus' riffs were that there's not really a tonal center, which is the point of this technique. But what I tend to do is use one cluster as much as I can, then move on the next, so what I ended up doing was sectioning up the song, grouping each cluster next to each other.. So a big portion of the song sounds minor, until X:XX time and the mode or whatever changes, and it's like that until the next cluster, pretty much destroying the point of using this. Maybe I'll screw with the arrangement a bit and let riffs appear more in the song. Either way, as long as it sounds good, it doesn't make the riffs any less valid (in my opinion). Hell maybe this could just be my 'variation' of the technique. So here it is- You can tell I start to lose it at about 3:24- I'm not too into that last riff, I'll probably take it out. (drums and bass also written by me)

YouSendIt: The Leader in File Delivery.

Let me know what you guys think.

That sounds great! I know exactly what you mean when you talk about falling into a rut. Use the charts that Ron shows us at The Circle Of 12 Tones You could try to play 4 in a row then switch to pairs across. You could even get nutty and print out a clock, and throw darts at it then play what lands next. lol That is nuts. :headbang:

One nutty thing I do when im in a rut is to randomly down/up tune the strings on my guitar, then Im forced to work with what I just screwed up. And yes, i am sober when doing this haha

You can use algorithms (computer science) to order your notes. I have wrote simple program to run the heapsort algorithm and output the order of the input (notes) after each iteration.
A simple example is using all twelve tones...

Say we jumble the order like so:
5 8 3 9 7 12 11 2 1 4 6 10

The Heapsort algorithm is going to use a repeating process to sort these 1-12. We print out the entire group of "notes" after each iteration of the process.

After 1st iteration:
11 9 10 8 7 3 5 2 1 4 6 12

After 2nd iteration:
10 9 6 8 7 3 5 2 1 4 11 12

After 3rd iteration:
9 8 6 4 7 3 5 2 1 10 11 12

And so on:
8 7 6 4 1 3 5 2 9 10 11 12
7 4 6 2 1 3 5 8 9 10 11 12
6 4 5 2 1 3 7 8 9 10 11 12
5 4 3 2 1 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
4 2 3 1 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
3 2 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
2 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

The algorithm is now complete.

Different algorithms will result in creating different note orders. There are many different sorting algorithms so you can poke around and try others.

GOOD LUCK!

:D