CIRCUS MAXIMUS To Support SYMPHONY X In Europe

I was hoping the tour they were dropping the US tour for would be a little bigger than that. Maybe I'm underestimating SymX in other countries, but it doesn't seem like this is the HUGE opportunity it was initially made out to be.

When I first read about CM cancelling, the first band that I would have guessed was Stratovarius. Some of you may recall that Symphony X dropped off their slot on 2003's USA Metal Gods tour to do Europe opening for Stratovarius. I don't know what crowds they saw at that time, but they were probably bigger than the 1/3-full midsize venue I saw at Metal Gods. Now the water's flowed a little further down the river. While supporting SymphX isn't the major big time, it's decently big. I basically agree that from the band's perspective it is probably the smart decision for them, even though it leaves us in the cold. The timing overlap makes it suck so hard - it would have been great for CM to have time to do both.

I was hoping the tour they were dropping the US tour for would be a little bigger than that. Maybe I'm underestimating SymX in other countries, but it doesn't seem like this is the HUGE opportunity it was initially made out to be.

SymX just did direct support for Dream Theater in Europe, so yeah, this is a big tour. Also the number of shows this tour encompasses is more than the number of shows the US tour had. Would have been a silly move to not take this tour based on the chance to promote their music to more fans per day than the US headlining run alone.

Symphony X were never going to be on the Metal Gods tour.... What you be smokin?????
Yes they were.
PAIN MUSEUM, the new band featuring HALFORD members Metal Mike Chlasciak (guitar) and Bobby Jarzombek (drums), have replaced SYMPHONY X on the bill of the much-anticipated The 2003 Metal Gods Tour, a multi-band package featuring HALFORD, co-headliners TESTAMENT, IMMORTAL, DARK TRANQUILITY, AMON AMARTH, and CARNAL FORGE. SYMPHONY X reportedly pulled out of the trek in order to pursue an as-yet-undisclosed European touring opportunity. An official statement on the matter has yet to be released.

Hasn't Symphony X always been bigger in Europe than here? Seems like when they played PPUSA 1 near Chicago, it was one of their first US dates ever, but they were already seasoned performers over in Europe.......

Hasn't Symphony X always been bigger in Europe than here? Seems like when they played PPUSA 1 near Chicago, it was one of their first US dates ever, but they were already seasoned performers over in Europe.......

I believe that they started out playing Japan only for years due to contractual obligations which is why it took them so long to start gigging in the US.

I believe that they started out playing Japan only for years due to contractual obligations which is why it took them so long to start gigging in the US.

I've never heard that. But, perhaps it would explain the lack of U.S. touring for their first 3 or 4 albums. Raise your hand if you caught SX live in the Damnation Game era.:heh:

Incidentally, taking into account both CM's growing popularity, their two stellar releases and SX's often bizarre business decisions, I could see CM eclipsing SX in overall popularity and marketability in the not too distant future. Just a thought.

This was the only tour I could have imagined them dropping the US tour for and it just worked out to be that. Here's wishing the guys Great Luck on the tour and maybe when it's all done if they're not too tired they'll swing by the states some. :)

As far as them still being able to make some shows here, that's 18 shows with 4 days off. Not to mention the fact that the guys have real day jobs to keep. With they way the band gives it their all at shows, I'm sure they're gonna be dog tired after the final day.

While I am sad that I will not get to see them in the US anytime soon this European tour is a great opportunity and I am happy for them. Symphony X have certainly moved up to main event status the past couple years. They are getting ready to embark on a headlining US tour and they have always been a bit bigger in Europe anyway. I feel Circus Maximus will play to some very nice sized audiences out there. Something tells me if all goes well we will see Circus Maximus in the US down the line opening for Symphony X again or maybe even the likes of Dream Theater considering Dream Theater recently took Redemption and Into Eternity on tour both being former ProgPower bands.

Circus Maximus made the right call. Though people are upset (and justifiably so, especially Glenn and Hoyt), long term, this will do CM wonders. You cannot turn down playing in front of 1500-3000 people a night supporting SymX for headlining a tour that will put you in front of 50-200 people per night. Epica and To/Die/For learned that the hard way. They will tour the US someday, maybe after releasing another CD to strong reviews on this side of the pond.

If SymX ever draws 1500-3000 a night I'll be shocked. I think the 400-500 number seems more accurate. But maybe not.