CIRCUS MAXIMUS To Support SYMPHONY X In Europe

If SymX ever draws 1500-3000 a night I'll be shocked. I think the 400-500 number seems more accurate. But maybe not.
I wouldn't be surprised if they can pull more than a 1,000 a night. I looked at some of the venues they're playing:

Live Music Hall, Cologne, Germany, Capacity 1,500
Markthalle, Hamburg, Germany, Capacity 1,300
Bataclan, Paris, France, Capacity 1,500

Zod

I love CM but I am afraid they made the wrong decision. Not because they hurt the feelings of us die hard PP fans, but because they disappointed us in their choice. Every fan wants to think they count, and I think we do, but maybe not as much as we had hoped???

My opinion, which is not worth much, is that the REAL losers in this are Manticora.

But I am old and kinda set in my ways. Flame away :)

Ma

Circus Maximus made the right call. Though people are upset (and justifiably so, especially Glenn and Hoyt), long term, this will do CM wonders. You cannot turn down playing in front of 1500-3000 people a night supporting SymX for headlining a tour that will put you in front of 50-200 people per night. Epica and To/Die/For learned that the hard way. They will tour the US someday, maybe after releasing another CD to strong reviews on this side of the pond.

Agreed 100%.

I love CM but I am afraid they made the wrong decision. Not because they hurt the feelings of us die hard PP fans, but because they disappointed us in their choice. Every fan wants to think they count, and I think we do, but maybe not as much as we had hoped???

My opinion, which is not worth much, is that the REAL losers in this are Manticora.

But I am old and kinda set in my ways. Flame away :)

Ma

Understood. However, you have to understand that tours are not run on handshakes and good intentions. In a way, tours are a business. You need to make some money if you are a headliner. Furthermore, it helps to play in front of a crowd. Many acts get seriously discouraged when they come over here, and there are more hand towels on the stage then fans on the floor. Just ask Angra, Epica or To/Die/For. The latter is on the verge of breaking up. Angra is cooked. And, Epica is supporting SymX in the spring.

So, it is helpful to have a major fanbase here before you headline in the USA, CM's CD's have gotten great reviews (All Music Guide has called them "Dream Theater's successors".). Now, all they need is the fanbase.

Cool. Best of luck to them then. SyX puts on a great show.

There were more than 500 people there the night we opened for them at the Masquerade. Masq actually has about 1200-1500 capacity, if you can believe that. I think they lowered it to 1200 sometime recently. It totally sucks when it's that full.

Understood. However, you have to understand that tours are not run on handshakes and good intentions. In a way, tours are a business. You need to make some money if you are a headliner. Furthermore, it helps to play in front of a crowd. Many acts get seriously discouraged when they come over here, and there are more hand towels on the stage then fans on the floor. Just ask Angra, Epica or To/Die/For. The latter is on the verge of breaking up. Angra is cooked. And, Epica is supporting SymX in the spring.

So, it is helpful to have a major fanbase here before you headline in the USA, CM's CD's have gotten great reviews (All Music Guide has called them "Dream Theater's successors".). Now, all they need is the fanbase.

Damn I wish I was in Europe.:erk:

I've always wondered why Europe/Asia has so much more of a metal fan base than the US. I know that Europe produces more metal bands than the US, I've just always wondered why the metal genre has not caught on here. I mean it has, but you know what I mean.
Congrats to CM though. "Dream Theater's successors" That's quite a compliment.

There were more than 500 people there the night we opened for them at the Masquerade. Masq actually has about 1200-1500 capacity, if you can believe that. I think they lowered it to 1200 sometime recently. It totally sucks when it's that full.

Sorry, no. The Masquerade's fire code is 1,000 now. The S-X show there drew around 500 tops, as I recall. (Which is just about the perfect size for a show at the Masquerade, mind you.....)

Damn I wish I was in Europe.:erk:

I've always wondered why Europe/Asia has so much more of a metal fan base than the US. I know that Europe produces more metal bands than the US, I've just always wondered why the metal genre has not caught on here. I mean it has, but you know what I mean.
Congrats to CM though. "Dream Theater's successors" That's quite a compliment.

Because of two things: 1)Europe and Asia has a more progressive bent when it comes to art. Metal is much more widely accepted in a situation like that, Try putting on a rock show in some parts of the USA, and you get Rev. Whoseorwhatsis from the Foggy Bottom Baptist Church screaming from the pulpit "That music is the work of the Devil. Satan himself I say! Jehova Rafa!" And announce a vigil in front of Glenn's house, knocking on his door to call on Glenn (or whoever the promoter is) to be "saved".

2) Usually, music lovers listen with their ears. That is what goes on in Europe, Asia and Latin America. Granted, the way the Radio licenses are, every band has a chance to be heard. So, if a person likes what they heard, they keep listening. However, Americans LOOK at music. Looks are what matters. If the singer/band looks "hot" or "cool", then so is the music. Do you think many teens and tweens will have a topless poster of IA Eklund or Tapio Wilska, and dream of being the next Mrs. Eklund or Wilska? Do you think teen and tween boys will get a rise out of looking at Angela Gossow or Lori Lewis? But, put up Justin, Britney, Gwen, or Marc Anthony, and watch the teens and tweens go ga-ga.

That is the reality.

Because of two things: 1)Europe and Asia has a more progressive bent when it comes to art. Metal is much more widely accepted in a situation like that, Try putting on a rock show in some parts of the USA, and you get Rev. Whoseorwhatsis from the Foggy Bottom Baptist Church screaming from the pulpit "That music is the work of the Devil. Satan himself I say! Jehova Rafa!" And announce a vigil in front of Glenn's house, knocking on his door to call on Glenn (or whoever the promoter is) to be "saved".

2) Usually, music lovers listen with their ears. That is what goes on in Europe, Asia and Latin America. Granted, the way the Radio licenses are, every band has a chance to be heard. So, if a person likes what they heard, they keep listening. However, Americans LOOK at music. Looks are what matters. If the singer/band looks "hot" or "cool", then so is the music. Do you think many teens and tweens will have a topless poster of IA Eklund or Tapio Wilska, and dream of being the next Mrs. Eklund or Wilska? Do you think teen and tween boys will get a rise out of looking at Angela Gossow or Lori Lewis? But, put up Justin, Britney, Gwen, or Marc Anthony, and watch the teens and tweens go ga-ga.

That is the reality.

Well said. Damn Foggy Bottom Church:lol:

That is the reality.

What planet is the Europe you're talking about here?

Ok, the situations with Angra and To/Die/For are not necessarily because of their US runs, but more or less because of management and booking agencies that cost both bands money and screwed them over. Epica is gaining plenty of momentum so I don't really see how the US tour did them wrong.

There's nothing wrong with doing a US headlining tour if you're a small foreign band (besides of course the costs involved). However, if you get a better offer that provides a better opportunity to sell merch and records well... The choice is obvious.

Well, he has a point that metal has a better commercial chance over in Europe and their media works different than it does here (fuckin' clearchannel). No way Manowar would ever top the charts in America.

What you say is true, but that doesn't make what he said accurate. Kids in Western countries are kids in Western countries, period. The "look" and media are just as influential here as they are in the States... it's just that metal is part of the machine here.

One thing in the States that I miss is going to a show and seeing people wearing the shirts of the most ridiculously obscure bands you can imagine. Here, if it's not a Spinefarm or Nuclear Blast band, or Iron Maiden... then it's my shirt. :p A bit of an exaggeration, but not by much.

There's really a clear separation between the media friendly bands and those that aren't getting the push. I've been to a good amount of shows here by smaller bands where there were more musicians in the building than fans. "Granted, the way the Radio licenses are, every band has a chance to be heard," is bullshit. I'm sure he knew he was just making a general exaggeration but there's not even a kernel of truth in that statement. You'll hear FAR MORE variety on the radio in any good-sized American town than you will in Finland (well, I can't speak for Helsinki but places like Laapeenranta, Vaasa, Jyväskylä, Turku... I've found it's quite similar), that's for sure, and with all the national radio stations I don't think the variety from region to region is any better than in the US (of course, a better comparison might be Finland vs Portugal for variety or something, and then you have a point).

Heh, i remember the first time going to a show and saying "Damn! That dude has a Demolition Hammer shirt!" It's always cool to see rarities being brought out and proudly displayed. But I digress...

In the end, i think the point is that ugly people have a chance to succeed in europe whereas in the states you have to be pretty or in Korn. True metal of any sub-genre has no place on american radio as a whole. The best you can hope for as far as heavy music goes is Black Sabbath.