CIRCUS MAXIMUS To Support SYMPHONY X In Europe

I don't mean "true metal" as in the genre that encompases bands such as Doro, Priest, Maiden, Saxon, etc. I mean as opposed to false bullshit that is passed off as metal, such as Slipknot.

Though on that note, i'd KILL to hear some Angel Witch or Exciter on the radio... even thouh those bands hit their prime 20-30 years ago...

I don't mean "true metal" as in the genre that encompases bands such as Doro, Priest, Maiden, Saxon, etc. I mean as opposed to false bullshit that is passed off as metal, such as Slipknot.

Though on that note, i'd KILL to hear some Angel Witch or Exciter on the radio... even thouh those bands hit their prime 20-30 years ago...

I don't like shit like Slipknot either. But for many(too many,) those types of bands are "true" metal because that's what they listen to. They may not care for what you or I listen to any more than we do of their preferences. Once again, I despise most if not all of the bands you're probably referring to. I also have no problem highlighting the poor musicianship, writing styles, etc. of all those bands. But that doesn't make them any less metal simply for sucking. The phrase also loses me considering the overabundance of metal genres these days, which all seem to change or evolve into something completely new every 3-5 yrs anyway.

At least now we have XM radio and Sirius, which play at least a little more variety than FM stations. But you have to pay:Smug:

The phrase also loses me considering the overabundance of metal genres these days, which all seem to change or evolve into something completely new every 3-5 yrs anyway.

The reason there are so many different metal genre names is because there are so many different metal genres. Is musical evolution and expansion really something to complain about? If a band doesn't fit into any accepted genres, maybe they really do fit into a new one.

This is why the phrase even means anything... to differentiate metal that doesn't change no matter what the rest of the world is doing...

This is exactly correct. Sure, "true metal" is a subgenre, but it also stands to encompass every sub-genre that is generally considered metal by metalheads. Those people that live, breathe, and shit metal. I think it's perfectly fair to exclude slipknot and "nu" metal because, though it takes its roots from metal, is nothing more than a cheap bastardization of the genre. However, when we talk about something that is in the spirit of any of the sub-genre's of metal, it doesn't mater if it's progressive, thrash, black or death, it's all fuckin' metal.

I'm sure someone will find my statement completely hypocritical, but it isn't. There has to be boundaries somewhere, so we might as well put them where the line is drawn, lest we start including everyone who's been influenced by a band. hey, i read in an interview that Mark Tremonti (or whatever the dude from Creed/Altar Bridge's name is) loves Mercyful Fate and was influenced by that guitar playing... are they metal?