Classic Maiden Guitar sound?

97reb

doom classic
Mar 27, 2002
Charlotte, NC, USA
Visit site
For the musicians out there that are also fans of Early Maiden. Got any suggestions or set-ups for the classic early Maiden sound (say first three or four albums) on guitar. I kind of like what I just did with my Fender Toronado, putting a Gibson P-94 in the Bridge spot. I feel the vibe of "Charlotte".

97reb said:
For the musicians out there that are also fans of Early Maiden. Got any suggestions or set-ups for the classic early Maiden sound (say first three or four albums) on guitar. I kind of like what I just did with my Fender Toronado, putting a Gibson P-94 in the Bridge spot. I feel the vibe of "Charlotte".

Yes:
CryBaby WAH for extra tone.
MXR Distortion.
MXR Phase 90 on about 2 or 3.
MXR 10 band EQ.
Tube AMP.

In that general order, depending your Fuzz Box you may need to bump the WAH from first to second in the chain, don't matter that much there. but Scoop out some mid with the EQ and clean up noise, it's a great for clearing out pickup noise.

Robocaster nailed Dave’s set-up, both he and Adrian used mid 70s Marshall non-master volume 50 watt heads (model 1987). I know Adrian used an Ibanez Tube Screamer to boost his Marshalls.

Cheers,

CJ

I really appreciate the response. I'd have to buy the MXR pedals, I have the Wah and amp part covered. I'll just have to experiment with the Boss-ME 50 I have for now to try and get close. I suppose the fact that my P-94 pick-up is kind of a single coil, that helps. I think the Maiden guys were using Strats back then. I have generally been more of a humbucker guy. I need a straight up strat guitar with three single coils for tonal variation. Once again, Thanks

Well you can make a reasonable fake emulation with a processor, but I don’t like them, because their muddy, but what you do get with pedals is that each note is crystal clear, yet packaged with flare. If you program your processor to use a touch of phase shift, then you should be okay.

97reb said:
I really appreciate the response. I'd have to buy the MXR pedals, I have the Wah and amp part covered. I'll just have to experiment with the Boss-ME 50 I have for now to try and get close. I suppose the fact that my P-94 pick-up is kind of a single coil, that helps. I think the Maiden guys were using Strats back then. I have generally been more of a humbucker guy. I need a straight up strat guitar with three single coils for tonal variation. Once again, Thanks

Actually they always used humbuckers, NOT single coils. For the era of tone you are going for you would want to use a DiMarzio Super Distortion in the bridge and a DiMarzio PAF in the neck, that's the combo they used for years.

Cheers,

CJ

Dave will switch pickups around during solos, but if you read Adrian's interview, he said he never uses the neck pickup anyway (that surprised me), he's like me in that way, but sometimes I will change pickups just to sound like a different guitar. It doesn’t really matter though it's just another way to add modification to the tone of a turn-around and to change the energy.