Classic Petra - Adonai - what a song!

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
I had absolutely no idea who Petra were or are until a few minutes ago. Anyway it seems they were one of the original Christian rock bands from the early 80s. Anyway they've decided to make a comeback of sorts with re-records of their best material and a couple of new songs. This song Adonai is just totally amazing. What brilliant crystal clear vocals, what a catchy song, what wonderful guitars and keyboards. His vocals send shivers up my spine on the chorus. I can't stop playing this song. One of the best 80s aor songs of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its definitely a good quality AOR song. Sadly as I get older I find myself finding AOR like this a bit too wimpy for me. You'd think as I slowly creep towards 40 years of age that it would be the opposite but nope....I need some BALLS in my music!

I actually saw them in concert once. I had the Back To the Streets and This Means War cassettes.
I always liked Stryper more though.

Ah Petra brings back memories of high school for me. "This Means War" is still my favorite song of theirs but their worship songs are truly uplifting and beautiful. Glad to hear they are making a comeback! I got to meet them and see their show about 13 years ago and it was quite good!

Since I thought Petra was known around here, should I also introduce you to Steve Taylor?

Oh the Christian Journey. HAHA
I had some Petra cassettes as a kid, not sure where they came from I would have never set out to get them certainly not when I was wrapped up in Grim Reaper, Mercyful Fate and Sanctuary way back then. As a adult I tried but just could not handle it. Though I'm sure that one day I will probably have them all on the shelf. Hell there could be a couple in there now.
Praise Jesus.:Smokedev:

I had their album No Doubt back in the day I remember wearing it out listening do it.

I have just never gotten into the "Christian" music scene regardless of what era. I've tried, but it always seems so silly. I do like a few select bands though such as: Stryper (the obvious choice), Deliverance, Saviour Machine, and Sacred Warrior (if you like Maiden and old school Queensryche).

My all time favorite Christian rocker is Rob Rock. Nobody or band can touch this guy in my book! I'm so glad that Glenn invited him to play a few years back. :worship:

~Brian~

Good band.
Favorite album: This Means War
Favorite Song: It is finished

Two other good songs:
Voice in the Wind

Graverobber

I actually saw them in concert once. I had the Back To the Streets and This Means War cassettes.
I always liked Stryper more though.

I saw Petra in 1985 in Raleigh, NC, if I am not mistaken. Vision (Billy Powell's Xian band) also played. That was a pretty fun day, as I recall. I mean, I was at NC State for the day, but other than THAT I had fun...