classical guitar

tyrant21

New Metal Member
Oct 5, 2004
with all this classical themed music these days, does anyone actually play classical guitar? I do and am going to school for it next fall, but in the guitar chapter Micahel Romeo says he took some lessons with classical guitar, but didnt have enough discipline, how much hope do I have? :confused:

Anyways, do you guys play the ol nylon at all?

I think he said that the classical guitar playing itself was to much discipline, not learning the instrument. Like what he had to play was too constraining, that's why he also in the video talks about how he likes odd grouping over the normal classical groupings. I hope this made sense.

MC Pee pants said:
I think he said that the classical guitar playing itself was to much discipline, not learning the instrument. Like what he had to play was too constraining, that's why he also in the video talks about how he likes odd grouping over the normal classical groupings. I hope this made sense.

What he probably meant is some of the stuff I'm going through, not the pieces being constraining, but all the technique issues. Whereas in electric guitar, whatever works for you is fine, where in classical it's quite different. Your nails have to be a certain length, you have to prepare your finger on the string perfectly, you left hand should use only the tips of your finger, and your thumb should never go over the fretboard. Basically, there are all kinds of little things to work on, many of which im dealing with now. It's hard to say "yeah, I'll stick with classical" when I'm playing chromatics at 170+bpm on electric and about 80 on nylon string playing a,i,m.

Classical guitar has access to music overthe last 600 years at least, there is nothing constraining about the choice of music.

Classical Guitar can be very hard, everything depends of what far do you want to go.

If you are young and you have enough time to practice (2 hours each day) you will prevail.

IMPORTANT: Do not begin without a good teacher.

I dont play guitar but over the years i have met many guys that play guitar and i have noticed that the classically trained ones have many advantages over the others.

I took the year off of school to practice for classical, I have auditions coming up in february/march. I usually play 6+ hours a day minimum right now since I have plenty of free time, and the only job I have is playing guitar a couple nights a week. Anyways, I definitely started off with the wrong teacher for classical, I'm still working on several issues that came from that.

I'll try and post some recordings of my audition pieces in the future for you guys to give me some feedback for.

I play classical guitar, although I usually only get into it in the summer, when I have time. Maybe the odd 5-10 mins a few times a week. Electric has become my main priority.

yeah, it's kinda the opposite. I've been trying to learn a few SX solo's but mostly im just doing classical, I was up till 4am last night!!!

I bought myself a classical earlier this year and started off playing some basic classical stuff, but like MJR...too much discipline :) I still love to play it, but usually I use a pick and play some Di Meola type stuff. No regrets for buying it...so if all else fails, there's plenty of stuff to play with a pick on a classical guitar.

Still, I'd say go for it, before you get too old. Not that you can't learn when you're older, but it's just much more difficult, especially when it's a whole new style and different way of playing the instrument.

Good luck ;)

yes i do. i havent played too long but on the other hand im dead serious about it. i am fortunate to have one of the best classical guitarists in sweden as my teacher.

how long would you say it took you to reach a reasonable level?

currently im playing the J.S Bach's Bourrée in E minor from the first (996) lute suite. how i love that last part where tha bass answers the top melody!

Granskog said:
yes i do. i havent played too long but on the other hand im dead serious about it. i am fortunate to have one of the best classical guitarists in sweden as my teacher.

how long would you say it took you to reach a reasonable level?

currently im playing the J.S Bach's Bourrée in E minor from the first (996) lute suite. how i love that last part where tha bass answers the top melody!

haha, i havent reached a reasonable level, I have to play that bourree along with the allemande from the same suite and a few other pieces for an audition in a month. I've been playing electric for about 3 1/2 years, but Ive only done classical seriously since last fall, and I have yet to find a good classical teacher, hopefully it'll go better in school though.

Hey Luis...that is my review you quoted. I was particularly proud of that line, although I am a huge Yngwie fan...I was a little hard on him I think. I wrote it right after WTEAW came out so I was a bit disappointed by that cd. But all other bands need to take my advice!!!

Granskog - Bach's Bourree in E minor is so perfect for classical guitar... cool stuff. I know a little bit of it, I should get around to learning the rest. Good luck with that.

I took classical guitar for a bit - sucked at it. At the time, I had no idea how precisely everything was laid out for the instrument, since I was just a rocker/metalhead who didn't really know about anything else. I think my junior year of college I'm going to split my credits between classical and jazz guitar (I'm just doing jazz now). Classical is very disciplined, but it would be cool to have such solid technique. Then again, I don't even enjoy listening to classical guitar stuff that much! I love classical, but the solo classical guitar pieces put me to sleep.

Luis: that doesnt really make sense to me as you said you didnt play classical guitar

tyrant21 said:
haha, i havent reached a reasonable level, I have to play that bourree along with the allemande from the same suite and a few other pieces for an audition in a month. I've been playing electric for about 3 1/2 years, but Ive only done classical seriously since last fall, and I have yet to find a good classical teacher, hopefully it'll go better in school though.

:) oh, i thought you were pretty good as youre going to school. The allemande is awesome! another cool one is the gigue from lute suite 2 (BWV997). im totally just into bach right now!

OfSinsAndShred said:
Granskog - Bach's Bourree in E minor is so perfect for classical guitar... cool stuff. I know a little bit of it, I should get around to learning the rest. Good luck with that.

I took classical guitar for a bit - sucked at it. At the time, I had no idea how precisely everything was laid out for the instrument, since I was just a rocker/metalhead who didn't really know about anything else. I think my junior year of college I'm going to split my credits between classical and jazz guitar (I'm just doing jazz now). Classical is very disciplined, but it would be cool to have such solid technique. Then again, I don't even enjoy listening to classical guitar stuff that much! I love classical, but the solo classical guitar pieces put me to sleep.

do it, definately. its alot of work, i meen it could take you a full day of practice to just get another measure. you have to make both hands play their part, and make them work together, and finally make it flow with the rest of the song. then you have the endless work of making it sound good! but on the other hand, when youve learned something, the satisfaction is enormous. what i love about it is how everything oozes economy of motion and preciseness. its pure elegance!

Granskog said:
Luis: that doesnt really make sense to me as you said you didnt play classical guitar

:) oh, i thought you were pretty good as youre going to school. The allemande is awesome! another cool one is the gigue from lute suite 2 (BWV997). im totally just into bach right now!

well im decent I suppose, but I still have to work out plenty of tone and technique issues. Anyways, yes that gigue is amazing, in fact, the whole suite is. If you like the gigue, check out the double(may have heard it), it's basically a fast variation on the gigue. I've been working on the prelude a bit too, it's awesome.

tyrant21 said:
well im decent I suppose, but I still have to work out plenty of tone and technique issues. Anyways, yes that gigue is amazing, in fact, the whole suite is. If you like the gigue, check out the double(may have heard it), it's basically a fast variation on the gigue. I've been working on the prelude a bit too, it's awesome.

yes i know! the double is great! i have a cd with guitarist john williams containing all four lute suites and he plays it very well. do you know any other great songs for classical guitar?

Luis: i thought i stated a personal question and your answer was easily interpreted as a personal answer. anyway thanks for the answer. recuerdos de la alambra is a great song by the way! but what does the title mean?

Granskog said:
yes i know! the double is great! i have a cd with guitarist john williams containing all four lute suites and he plays it very well. do you know any other great songs for classical guitar?

Luis: i thought i stated a personal question and your answer was easily interpreted as a personal answer. anyway thanks for the answer. recuerdos de la alambra is a great song by the way! but what does the title mean?
Recuerdos de la Alhambra = Memories of Alhambra

The Alhambra is a walled city and fortress in Granada, Spain. It was built during the last Islamic sultanate on the Iberian peninsula, the Nasrid Dynasty (1238-1492).

BTW John Williams is going to play next week and im going to his concert :headbang: