Classical music recomendations.

Empty Vision

The Accolade
Feb 15, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
Recently I have been learning a bit of Paganini on guitar (Excerpt from Perpetual motion, 5th Caprice in Am), just for the benefits of being able to play classical and to broaden my musical knowledge I guess, can anyone recomend me some classical stuff not only good for learning on guitar but also just for good listening. Cheers in advance.

It's quite hard to suggest something "classical" since that word falsely stands for about 400 years of musical evolution. If you mean something sounding 'close' to Paganini, then for starters you should check out Baroque era composers like Telemann, Vivaldi, Händel, Pachelbel and of course mr J.S. Bach who is THE master. He is actually one of the few great composers of his time, if not the only one, who composed works for the lute of which most are transcribed for the (classical) guitar and are really a challenge to play properly.

Actually, Paganini is nowhere near the Baroque period, he is late Classical, mostly early Romantic period... For similar guitar composers, check out his contemporaries and fellow guitar virtuosi Legnani and Guiliani. They are by far the closest for guitar composition. A Composer of similar period that isn't guitar would be Beethoven...

But check out Vivaldi and Bach anyway, cos they're great, just from a much earlier period, that's all. :)

Actually, Paganini is nowhere near the Baroque period, he is late Classical, mostly early Romantic period... For similar guitar composers, check out his contemporaries and fellow guitar virtuosi Legnani and Guiliani. They are by far the closest for guitar composition. A Composer of similar period that isn't guitar would be Beethoven...

But check out Vivaldi and Bach anyway, cos they're great, just from a much earlier period, that's all. :)

I wrote "Baroque era for starters" because Paganini had quite a light and 'simplistic' approach to composition, similar sounding to other baroque composers like Vivaldi, and not as 'heavy', layered and dramatic, if you wish, like Beethoven. I didn't imply Paganini was a composer from the baroque era. :)

Gustav Mahler's Second Symphony (The Resurrection) is amazing. Saw it performed live and was in awe.

Other awesome orchestral pieces are:
Mozart - Requiem
Respighi - The Roman Trilogy
Beethoven - The Ninth Symphony
Dvorak - The New World Symphony
Gorecki - Symphony no. 3 (beautiful)
and anything by John Williams (Michael Romeo is a fan too!)

I don't really like John Williams because he reuses far too much of his own material, and plays up to the common image of 'classical music' to appeal to mainstream audiences. In short, his music is in general weakly constructed, save a few exceptions.

by contrast, I would recommend listening to Shostakovich

I don't really like John Williams because he reuses far too much of his own material, and plays up to the common image of 'classical music' to appeal to mainstream audiences. In short, his music is in general weakly constructed, save a few exceptions.

Maybe, but what he lacks in originality he makes up for with a great ear for memorable melodies and capturing that lively spirit that work well for the films he's chosen for. For a more versatile composer in film, I enjoy Jerry Goldsmith.

I wrote "Baroque era for starters" because Paganini had quite a light and 'simplistic' approach to composition, similar sounding to other baroque composers like Vivaldi, and not as 'heavy', layered and dramatic, if you wish, like Beethoven. I didn't imply Paganini was a composer from the baroque era. :)

That's fair enough... Paganini was very much the 19th century shredder... Just lay down a simple melody and go nuts over the top on violin... :headbang: