Classroom kids singing "flight of Icarus"!!!

WOW! Pretty F'n Cool! I wonder if Maiden has seen this, if so I bet they'd be like "That was pretty cool!". I like how the kids were doing air guitar during the solo and the girls with long hair doing the hair twirly thing. Gotta love it! :headbang: Thanks for posting Danny, this is way cool.

WOW! Pretty F'n Cool! I wonder if Maiden has seen this, if so I bet they'd be like "That was pretty cool!". I like how the kids were doing air guitar during the solo and the girls with long hair doing the hair twirly thing. Gotta love it! :headbang: Thanks for posting Danny, this is way cool.

I saw it posted on Maiden's official Facebook page so I think there's a good chance. I loved it and I also liked how it was a lesser known song too, rather than Run To The Hills or Can I Play With Madness. :D

It's very cool but I don't get it. Why would a school have their kids do this? Is it really healthy for kids? Do you think the teacher was just a Maiden Head that wanted to have the kids sing one of his favorite songs?

It seems weird to me. Why would a primary school of 2011 sing an 80s metal song? I think there are better songs to influence kids in a more positive manner.

It's very cool but I don't get it. Why would a school have their kids do this? Is it really healthy for kids? Do you think the teacher was just a Maiden Head that wanted to have the kids sing one of his favorite songs?

It seems weird to me. Why would a primary school of 2011 sing an 80s metal song? I think there are better songs to influence kids in a more positive manner.
Yea, I thought this was strange too (even tho very cool to see!). I can't image a school approving such a thing. I thought perhaps a metal nut that had access to a school room and rounded up parents approvals to let their kid do this. It would be interesting to hear how it all was put together.

Yeah. Obviously Iron Maiden is one of my favorite bands, but I still think it's weird seeing little kids sing this. The song isn't negative, I just don't see it is a positive message for kids either. It's not like Imagine or Give Peace a Chance or Hard Rains Gonna Fall.

I also don't know what kids these days in that amount are even into Maiden. It loks like they all love t. I just don't know how it's possible. My guess is the teacher was into Maiden, and was one of those people that think it's the right way to be therefore I must teach the children this. Kind of like Dad's with Mohawks that have 7 year olds with Mohawks. Then he told them to give their best performance so they can go on youtube and be famous. So the kids are doing it as a debut.

Either way, not the best way to raise kids in the nurturing environment they need. A+ for entertainment and interest but a F for responsible influence on our youth.

I'm confused as to how having kids singing a metal song is being irresponsible or a bad influence. I grew listening to metal from the age of 6-7 as my brother and sister played it every day. At aged 9 I was singing along to Unskinny Bop by Poison. Now that's not a good song for a kid to sing, but I hardly think a song about a well known myth is a bad thing for kids to sing. We don't know the circumstances of this. It could have been for a class project, a play, or simply something the kids wanted to do and clearly enjoyed.

I grew listening to metal from the age of 6-7 as my brother and sister played it every day.

And look how you turned out, Jenna. Proof of the danger! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's probably a combination of factors--the teacher's into Maiden (maybe) and it's a way to teach the story of Icarus, as Danny pointed out. Either way, it's FRICKIN cool and I had a smile on my face the entire time. I like how they incorporate a little break-dancing into the air guitar solos.

Actually, in 12th grade English, my teacher brought in Powerslave and played "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" so we could study Samuel Coleridge Taylor. That was the ONLY cool thing she ever did. :rolleyes:

Kirsten "Bruce Chickinson";9692926 said:
And look how you turned out, Jenna. Proof of the danger! :lol: :lol: :lol:

It's probably a combination of factors--the teacher's into Maiden (maybe) and it's a way to teach the story of Icarus, as Danny pointed out. Either way, it's FRICKIN cool and I had a smile on my face the entire time. I like how they incorporate a little break-dancing into the air guitar solos.

Actually, in 12th grade English, my teacher brought in Powerslave and played "Rime of the Ancient Mariner" so we could study Samuel Coleridge Taylor. That was the ONLY cool thing she ever did. :rolleyes:

:lol: :D :saint:

I wanted to do Rime (the poem) for some English thing in school but the teacher wouldn't let me. I was kinda glad tho cos then I actually went and read the poem and holy crap, it's loooooooooooooooong!!!!!!!

I know its a great song about Icarus, the mythological character, but do you really think that is the best song for little kids? Iron Maiden has that dark edge to them. Wouldn't it be better to save it for slightly older kids? There's a lot of great stuff I am into now that I sure would not want little kids being into. They just seemed a bit young to get the whole "GRRRRRR METAL UP YER ARSE!" attitude.

I know its a great song about Icarus, the mythological character, but do you really think that is the best song for little kids? Iron Maiden has that dark edge to them. Wouldn't it be better to save it for slightly older kids? There's a lot of great stuff I am into now that I sure would not want little kids being into. They just seemed a bit young to get the whole "GRRRRRR METAL UP YER ARSE!" attitude.

I hear what you're saying but I disagree because I think actually Maiden doesn't really have a "dark edge" -- heavy yes but not dark. Especially when you compare it to "metal" nowadays. Besides, there are Christian bands that sound like death metal bands nowadays. At those kids' age, I was into KISS and their record covers were scary as hell.

Actually you make a good point. Most music the kids these days are listening to is way darker and blatantly violent. At least Maiden is intellectual and has great musicianship. Maybe I am flashing back to when I was young and what I used to think of metal when I was a kid.

I don't know what I'm saying. All I know is watching those little kids sing Maiden with the fists in the air with the little boys all flexing acting all tough freaked me out a bit. I'm obviously not conservative in any way. It just weirded me out. Not sure why.

We sang this song to tie in with the curriculum as we are learning Ancient Greek History and reading Myths and Legends in literacy. It seemed an obvious choice as the song tells the story of Daedelus and Icarus.

Yea, I thought this was strange too (even tho very cool to see!). I can't image a school approving such a thing. I thought perhaps a metal nut that had access to a school room and rounded up parents approvals to let their kid do this. It would be interesting to hear how it all was put together.

Not only was this approved by the school, but it links directly with the curriculum that the children are learning - Ancient Greek History and Myths and Legends. As the song is about the story of Daedelus and Icarus it was an obvious choice.

Yeah. Obviously Iron Maiden is one of my favorite bands, but I still think it's weird seeing little kids sing this. The song isn't negative, I just don't see it is a positive message for kids either. It's not like Imagine or Give Peace a Chance or Hard Rains Gonna Fall.

I also don't know what kids these days in that amount are even into Maiden. It loks like they all love t. I just don't know how it's possible. My guess is the teacher was into Maiden, and was one of those people that think it's the right way to be therefore I must teach the children this. Kind of like Dad's with Mohawks that have 7 year olds with Mohawks. Then he told them to give their best performance so they can go on youtube and be famous. So the kids are doing it as a debut.

Either way, not the best way to raise kids in the nurturing environment they need. A+ for entertainment and interest but a F for responsible influence on our youth.

How is this an irresponsible influence of children when it links with the curriculum they are being taught and tells the famous Greek myth Daedelus and Icarus?

How is this an irresponsible influence of children when it links with the curriculum they are being taught and tells the famous Greek myth Daedelus and Icarus?

It isn't. Flight as you said is lifted right from the myth and if the kids are studying that, it is a good tie in to the influence of the ancient myths a thousand years later.

There is far more whacked stuff in mythology than Icarus.

Jim