Clear Channel took away our rock in houston...

Evil C.

Jan 19, 2003
houston, tx
Visit site
On Friday morning, Clear Channel took away our only rock station in houston, rock 101 klol. While I wasnt a huge fan and didnt listen all that often, it is still a travesty to take off the only rock station in such a hige city, and replace it with, get this, a modern dance latino station....

i bow my head in shame...

evil c.

I've had two rock stations robbed from me, Pirate 100.3 and KNAC 105.5, leaving only KCAL 96.7 and KLOS 95.5.

Even if you don't listen to the radio that much it's always a painful loss.

If we wanted to bomb all the stupid Latino stations in Houston, we'd have to use a hydrogen bomb. There are so damn many of them.

What's the reasoning behind taking the rock stations off the air? Is it some morality issue?

One Inch Man said:
I've had two rock stations robbed from me, Pirate 100.3 and KNAC 105.5
You know, before nuMetal exploded, rock stations did play quite the variety, including lots of real metal. I remember living in Phili in '98 being surprised at how good the radio was.

Anyway, is KNAC gone altogether? Or just from your locality? Reason being, KNAC is friggin' legendary the world over. I remember being in the UK back in the late 80's and the big FM London station (Capital Radio) would tune in KNAC after midnight on a Saturday night. I couldn't believe how cool it was...

JayKeeley said:
What's the reasoning behind taking the rock stations off the air? Is it some morality issue?
http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/front/2900894

What happened at KLOL was probably an inevitable result of music trends, said Joseph A. Kotarba, professor of sociology at the University of Houston.

Kotarba, who has taught about rock music for 20 years, said the traditional audience for hard rock and heavy metal has decreased since the 1980s. That audience is not as lucrative for radio stations and their advertisers as the quickly growing, young Latino audience, he said.

"Traditional hard rock is falling into the category of oldies," he said.

That means the music will be heard from time to time but with less and less talk about who the performer is, where the band is touring and so forth, Kotarba said.

"Hip-hop dance music, techno and various other styles of pop music are taking over in popularity," he said. "So that is what radio stations like the ones owned by Clear Channel go for. Everyone wants a more lucrative segment of the population."

Being part of the change can be painful, Kotarba said.

"There's a real sadness when one sees the style of music one grew up with fall into that neverland of the oldies bin," he said. "It's no longer fashionable. That hurts and contributes to a sense of aging."

Eew. We're pretty dismal here and we have 2 rock stations. Time to get out the CDs if you haven't already I guess....

If I ever pick up a car rental that doesn't have a CD player, I immediately go back to the office and request a new car. Thankfully, nowaday, all rentals come with CD players.

The radio is dead as far as I'm concerned. The world needs more John Peels who don't bow down to corporate playlists by conglomerates that own record labels. There should be an SEC filing to prevent broadcasting stations from buying record labels - it's the same as inside dealer info, like what Charlie Sheen did on Wall St. :loco:

Sure, a Clear Channel operated "rock" station biting the dust is no big loss unless you're either not old enough to have outgrown radio or have no other options in the car, but it's still something you hate to hear, and another surefire sign that internet and satellite radio are the only forms of radio worth a shit these days.