No more rock in Houston. KLOL is a Latino pop music station now....

metal dreams said:
I was amazed to find a Shakira song on KLOL on Friday. I though it was a joke but now I read in the papers that KLOL is no more. After 34 years of rock, the Clear Channel people decided that rock is dead and latino pop is in. So now in Houston, there is no more rock stations to listen to. Not that I listen to the radio any more, but I'm still pissed.

This does suck. However, let's face it, was KLOL ever really important any more without Stephens and Pruitt, lock, Eddie the Boner and Linda Silk. Klol once once an institution, but that died a while ago.

Me said:
While CC is a beast...... There's an even bigger beast out there. Hint, it's the one that gave us grunge, the end of metal and the rise of hip-hop. It's much bigger than Clear Channel. Hint: its name begins with a V.
I'm kinda surprised no-one took the bait, here. The culprits behind grunge, the near-death of metal and the rise of hip-hop, the beast even bigger than Clear Channel?

Answer: The evil that is Viacom. Y'know, the folks behind MTV, MTV2, VH-1, and a host of other cable outlets. They who control what a large number of the masses -- especially kids -- see and hear. The ones who killed off MTV-X. In short, the ones who helped to set the Sun.

Pellaz said:
I'm kinda surprised no-one took the bait, here. The culprits behind grunge, the near-death of metal and the rise of hip-hop, the beast even bigger than Clear Channel?

Answer: The evil that is Viacom. Y'know, the folks behind MTV, MTV2, VH-1, and a host of other cable outlets. They who control what a large number of the masses -- especially kids -- see and hear. The ones who killed off MTV-X. In short, the ones who helped to set the Sun.

I kinda lost track of this thread. Viacom is a very big influence on the younger generation I agree. I don't think they sit around and say "let's stop metal from being on the air". It is all about money... If rap or whatever makes more, thats what they are going to shove down our throats. It's all about marketing, demographics, and advertising dollars.
CC is taking over every aspect of music (Radio, Venues, Tickets, Etc.). I wouldn't be suprised to see them start distributing it also. I think thats the next step, start selling the music online or even traditionally with some sort of distribution deal. Then they will have everybody's nuts in a vice!

SavaRon said:
I kinda lost track of this thread. Viacom is a very big influence on the younger generation I agree. I don't think they sit around and say "let's stop metal from being on the air". It is all about money... If rap or whatever makes more, thats what they are going to shove down our throats. It's all about marketing, demographics, and advertising dollars.
Well, yes and no. When Viacom first adopted the hip-hop scene, it wasn't making that much money; it was new. Someone there decided they'd push it, knowing full well that if it was perceived as "cool" and was shoved in everyone's faces, it was guaranteed to sell and make a mint. Metal, as we know, was in the way, and they opted to kill it (cancelling Headbangers Ball, etc.)

CC is taking over every aspect of music (Radio, Venues, Tickets, Etc.). I wouldn't be suprised to see them start distributing it also. I think thats the next step, start selling the music online or even traditionally with some sort of distribution deal. Then they will have everybody's nuts in a vice!
Congress -has- finally noticed Clear Channel and is looking into anti-trust violations; I'm just surprised it took people this long to notice. I guess it was because, in the grand scheme of things (huge telecom mergers, etc.) Clear Channel wasn't all that big, in comparison.