Clearwater, FL show - Dream Theater's antics to Opeth

Well, antics were played on all bands - really made it fun and interesting - tho I'm sure not to the Ruth Eckerd crew!

My post of the night from another forum:
Dream Theater in Clearwater, FL (Progressive Nation).

Maybe they were insane, I couldn't tell - Opeth had already blown my mind by the time they hit the stage!!!

Seriously tho - I was really impressed by their set [DTs] and quite enjoyed myself. That could be due to them only playing an hour and a half - which was just enough for me. They also did some earlier tracks which helped.

As I said - my first time seeing Opeth - they totally blew me away. Everything seemed a blur after that. I think they did a nice mix with their set - some growlies for the metalheads, some softer stuff for the progheads and some inbetween. They closed with Drapery Falls. m/ F'in hell - I was probably the only one in the audience really upset by this but during In My Time of Need, James Labrie comes out and taps Michael on the shoulder and sings the last chorus. His voice totally ruined the song for me - not that he was off or anything - it just didn't fit the song. blech blech blech!

The first two bands had signing tables set out after their set. So we went out me with my Watershed vinyl I'd been walking around with to get it signed and Doug with my poster so I could frame it, but they never came out. I think they actually went home after their set - cos they were the only band that didn't come out for bows at the end. Happy news, Michael did say they'd be back in Sept!!

As Labrie said, with Opeth you not only get great music, but you also get standup comedy. He [MA] took about every available opportunity to roast Portnoy. It was hilarious!

3 continue to impress! OK, they still have SOME same banter going on, but we're pretty damn amazing. BTBAM were a lot more impressive than I thought they'd be. I'd heard little from them - so wasn't too sure what to expect except for very growly vox. When that wasn't going on - it was great! They did use some clean vocals and the music was very intricate and proggy - in a progressive metal way. I was duly impressed.

Overall a fantabulous night and we got out fo there before 12:00. Roll on Progressive Nation 2009 (according to MP). I have to mention - not sure if this happened at every gig, but Three, BTBAM and Opeth were getting pegged with food and MP came out with a robe and mask harrassing all the bands - but that bit was lots of fun. Oh and they kept lowering the main curtain on Opeth during The Drapery Falls. Get it?? LOL

Good times, good times!!

Hey requiem, where did you sit at Ruth Eckerd?

Did it seem as if Dt's set was only about 70-75 minutes...it seemed a little short. Oh...Mike asked us if we saw him get Mike P back. I said yeah, I saw the ping pong balls everywhere! He corrected me with his dry wit..."No, Golf Balls!...um...real golf balls....real Plastic golf balls."

I sat in row N on the right side of the stage (Petrucci's and Mendez's side). When Dream Theater came on, Axe came and sat right behind us, up until The Dark Eternal Night. He left near the end of the song.

Dream Theater came on at 10, pretty much on the mark. They ended right at 11:29, curfew was at 11:30, so I'd say they did pretty well on that. But, factoring out The Dark Nintendo Night, they probably played for about 75-80 minutes tops.

"Real plastic golf balls," I love it! Mike is funny. I also appreciated the LaBrie speach during DT's set about the bands on tour with them, "With Opeth, not only do you get great music, you get a stand up comedian!"

Daliup: Overall, it was just a fun show to be at. ...and yes, the antics were because it was the last show of the US tour. So, don't take it as being rude and disrespectful. Dream Theater was having fun and I'd assume everyone else was. I'm friends with Chad of Maylene and the Sons of Disaster; he's told me all sorts of funny things that's happened to bands they've played with on the last night of the tour. It's tradition!

It was the last show of the tour and DT were saying goodbye to their friends.

Lighten up.

I wouldn't want some outsiders to come and fuk about while I'm listening to Opeth! Ruins the music and atmosphere. I'm not there to see people fuking about on stage, I'm there to see Opeth play their music.

That's what I was telling my friends....I gave them an example of Rush getting shaving cream on their equipment, and Kiss running out during their last song and throwing food at them at the tour's last show. It still seems weird that Rush opened for Kiss then....but every band opens for totally different bands when they start. I just hope that Mike P keeps this PN thing going. Three definitely is going to benefit because of the opporunity. Unique band indeed!

I wouldn't want some outsiders to come and fuk about while I'm listening to Opeth! Ruins the music and atmosphere. I'm not there to see people fuking about on stage, I'm there to see Opeth play their music.

Mike Portnoy of Dream Theater put together the package and made it possible for Opeth to even be on this tour. Having some fun on the last show of the PN08 tour is to be expected, it's a tradition for every touring package in the rock/metal realm.

Have you ever been to a metal concert? You're setting yourself up for disappointment.

Have you ever been to a metal concert? You're setting yourself up for disappointment.

I have been to many.

All I'm saying, I wouldn't want a show ruined for me by someone running on stage and fking about. Disturbing the show by doing silly stuff. Might be fun for them but I paid money to see my fav. band perform their music with no outsiders with broom sticks running on stage and doing silly stuff. Like what was said, hitting drums with a broom stuck, or the curtain stuff... that's just taking the piss.

But I've been to a lot of shows and never seen anything like this.

*shrug* They were having fun and probably 99% of people there thought it was hilarious. Be glad you weren't there, I guess.

Maybe a little off-topic here, but was anyone at the Orlando show? The crowd was screaming and shit when they raised the Opeth flag, when they came on I think me and my buddy were the only ones headbanging at the whole venue - what a bunch of pussies!!

Maybe a little off-topic here, but was anyone at the Orlando show? The crowd was screaming and shit when they raised the Opeth flag, when they came on I think me and my buddy were the only ones headbanging at the whole venue - what a bunch of pussies!!

I was at the Orlando show as well. It was the first time I've been to Hard Rock for a show. Man do I miss House of Blues. The sound was horrible and the was no moshing. But, I did get to go to Margaritaville and drink with Mike, Martin, Fredrik and Per after hanging out with Jordan and John Petrucci backstage! Orlando was a fun night, but the Clearwater antics and sound quality made it a better show.

Fuck the House of Blues with their pillars and unnecesary rusty crap on the walls, and their bathroom attendants making you feel like you should tip them for handing you a paper towel. They stopped metal for "family atmosphere" reasons. Well, something tells me that by the time 2008 ends, they're going to reconsider, when they see how much money they're losing because of this. Let them keep their Johnny Booba, and the Kitchen Blues band shit. Metal will still be around ragardless, metal bands will play anywhere for the sake of their art, anyway. Mr. Akerfeldt can attest to that, eh Requiem?

I have been to many.

All I'm saying, I wouldn't want a show ruined for me by someone running on stage and fking about. Disturbing the show by doing silly stuff. Might be fun for them but I paid money to see my fav. band perform their music with no outsiders with broom sticks running on stage and doing silly stuff. Like what was said, hitting drums with a broom stuck, or the curtain stuff... that's just taking the piss.

But I've been to a lot of shows and never seen anything like this.

See my post above and you'll see why Portnoy and DT did this "silly stuff." It was the last show of a successful tour and they're having fun. Get over it.

See my post above and you'll see why Portnoy and DT did this "silly stuff." It was the last show of a successful tour and they're having fun. Get over it.

I read your post, and so what if it's their last show. Do stupid shit off stage after you're done with the show. I don't care what how or why, I don't pay money to see a mess on stage. Get over it.

I read your post, and so what if it's their last show. Do stupid shit off stage after you're done with the show. I don't care what how or why, I don't pay money to see a mess on stage. Get over it.

I don't see why you're bitching, you weren't even there. You didn't pay shit to see the "mess on stage". I don't see a single person who was at the show complaining...

Lighten up, ass.

It's not about you though. ;D

I don't see why you're bitching, you weren't even there. You didn't pay shit to see the "mess on stage". I don't see a single person who was at the show complaining...

Lighten up, ass.

I'm saying I wouldn't want it to happen if I went to see one of their shows, what a fucking moron. Stop bitching yourself for fuck sakes. Don't like my opinion then fuck off.