Click and whole track bleeding into DI!???

chuck1703

MYSPACE.COM/BURNINGSKIES
Apr 8, 2006
Bristol
Has anyone had this before where the click (or even the track) is coming through the di track? never had it before, but just noticed it on recent work.
If anyone knows how to rectify this or knows where it could be coming from (My guess guitar pick ups maybe??), be much appreciated.
Cheers Guys

Chuck

Record further away from your monitors and/or use a gate. It's basically the pickups picking up a small amount of bleed from what your monitors are putting out.

Thought it might be, not much space to really move that far away to be honest. I'll look into an alternative way

from my experience, it doesn't matter....just cut out the parts where the guitars don't play anything, breaks etc, so that you don't get the bleed on those parts....otherwise it's all covered in a huge pile of distortion anyways, so at least I'm not able to hear it....

edit:

well, seems like you're talking about a different issue than what i already experienced then.
so far i only noticed some click bleed on the DI tracks when the guitars aren't actually playing, and i'm 100% sure that's just because of the pickups picking up the monitor sound.

I'm not sure what interface you're using but i have an AudioBox USB and I had this problem too. Turns out it was supposedly a design flaw that ended up involving crosstalk. Bleh. After researching a bit I found that it was related to the headphones out/amp? and that turning that down eliminated the bleed from my DIs. I think the Firebox was said to have the same issue too...

Pretty sure it's interface/driver related, had the same problem when I recorded DI:s through a GNX 3000, The mix would bleed into the DI:s. I recorded through headphones so has nothing to do with actual sound coming through guitar pickups or anything like that. ASIO drivers for that pretty much sucked in other ways too. Never had any of that using the same setup with Line 6 toneport or emu soundcard.

I had the same problem and it turned out that the guitar was picking the noise from the headphone cable.

Damn good point, more than likely the headphone cable is gonna be the lowest quality (and least insulated) out of any of the cables in your setup, so I'd imagine that's often the source of the problem!

*sigh* its not interface/driver related. I have the same problem with my EMU card, and every other interface I have used, the speakers you use to monitor have magnets, they put out and electric-motive force (EMF), guitar pickups, create/send EMF signals based on the reaction of the strings and other freefloating EMF signals, including anything with an AC transformer such as a computer, a guitar amp, a TV etc and Radio frequency transmitters such as Cell phones and Radios. Get near that EMF and your pickup will "pickup" that signal. Unshielded instrument cables can pick them up to, therefore if the headphone cord was touching the cable, that could cause the problem to. Most liekly though, if you turn down your monitors when you track and the crosstalk gets lowere in volume or goes away, chances are it was your monitors being too high in volume.

Damn good point, more than likely the headphone cable is gonna be the lowest quality (and least insulated) out of any of the cables in your setup, so I'd imagine that's often the source of the problem!

If I believe correctly, most headphones don't have insulation, just like speaker cables. Thats basically what headphones are, personal output speakers.

*sigh* its not interface/driver related. I have the same problem with my EMU card, and every other interface I have used, the speakers you use to monitor have magnets, they put out and electric-motive force (EMF), guitar pickups, create/send EMF signals based on the reaction of the strings and other freefloating EMF signals, including anything with an AC transformer such as a computer, a guitar amp, a TV etc and Radio frequency transmitters such as Cell phones and Radios. Get near that EMF and your pickup will "pickup" that signal. Unshielded instrument cables can pick them up to, therefore if the headphone cord was touching the cable, that could cause the problem to. Most liekly though, if you turn down your monitors when you track and the crosstalk gets lowere in volume or goes away, chances are it was your monitors being too high in volume.

If I believe correctly, most headphones don't have insulation, just like speaker cables. Thats basically what headphones are, personal output speakers.

I'm Pretty sure that it was interface related in my case. I just listened through a lot of DI:s I recorded with my EMU/toneport interfaces and I could find any bleed on any of them. These have been recorded with the same cables any monitored with the same headphones(never use monitors for tracking) in the same room with the same power supply etc. I find it odd that if indeed it was because of the cables that all my DI tracks recorded with my old GNX has bleed any none of the other.

Thanks for the responses,
I do cut my cuts, but its on parts such as fade outs, or slow chuggs you can hear them coming through, just tad annoying. My set up is a mackie 32.8 into a Motu I/0 24.

I have the same problem with my firepod (Morgoe started a thread about it). Even with my monitors turned down, the bleed is there, so it's really the firepod that is the problem here.

I had a similar problem when I split the signal with my Samson S-direct. Somehow the click came through to the amp and cab (but not the DI). Disappeared with ground lift.

I'm Pretty sure that it was interface related in my case. I just listened through a lot of DI:s I recorded with my EMU/toneport interfaces and I could find any bleed on any of them. These have been recorded with the same cables any monitored with the same headphones(never use monitors for tracking) in the same room with the same power supply etc. I find it odd that if indeed it was because of the cables that all my DI tracks recorded with my old GNX has bleed any none of the other.

That could actaully be a problem with the GNX hardware, and now that I think of it some recording interfaces. I know of a few interfaces that actually bleed a small amount of the output out of the input, so if you have a mic pre that is connected to a mic, since the interface input just got turned into an output, your mic has now become a speaker, I had this happen to me before. But I think that haapens from poor hardware design, as you have many traces in a PCB and as small as some of the distnace are in computers and their interfaces, if they were damaged or not designed properly, including the grounding circuit, outputs could easily jump over to inputs and certain grounding devices could induce a signal to be inflicted in somehwerer It wasn;t desinged to be.

Unformtunately, if that were tru, that could come from another of things, including, your motherboard, and even your CPU, since most crashes are a result of some error in the system, an error could be from stray EMF that cuased a file corruption or other design flaws. This could very well be your computer or interface, if its is not the case of your pickups picking up the sound.

I would say to make sure everyhitng is grounded separately, keeping the computer grounded on one circuit and your interface and preamps on another, and don't let their cases touch, keep them away from each other and don't let their AC lines cross.