Clients request for drum mix

TheToddGreen

Apr 19, 2010
Hey guys,

So I'm doing some pre-production for a client recording an EP with me at the beginning-middle of October. I'm using drum samples instead of live drums (S20 and Slate) so they have been listening to mixes to find a kick and snare sound they really liked. (i know i cannot match any mix perfectly, thats just irrational)

but heres a youtube link of a song they sent me that they really would love me to model the kick and snare after (i dont care for the band, but i must admit that i do love the drums, especially that snare) anyone got any tips on achieving this? (there is a clean part at 3:20 where you can really hear the drums stand out)

(i will also post my most current drum mix, unmastered, below as well)

my current drums :(
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6329133/drums.mp3

Last edited by a moderator:
Really?
I only got the EX Version, which is like 10-15 kits or so... maybe thats why.... unless you think its slate with extra processing

I can't hear the snare at all in your drum mix. The drums need that same juicy compression that the original drums have, unfortunately I do not know what kind of comp is being ran on the drums in the OP.

when you say drum mix, and that the original drums have, what 2 are you referring to? Drum mix: the one with only drums (first post) or with guitars/bass (most recent link). And what do you mean by original drums?

you mean post #6 (post 7 just says "anyone" for a bump lol)? And I'm assuming they got it from The Goonies

and how do you not hear the snare? I have no trouble hearing it at all :(

Aaron, YES, it does! But I do like the drum sound

Yes, I meant 6, sorry. On my monitors, I can hear cracks every now again, but they're very quiet, but when the crash hits start around 0:15 or 16, the snare gets buried really easily. The OHs are sucking all of the highs out of it, bring them down and bring that snare up.