Clip-on guitar tuners- A fad?

evolutions_end

now with extra avatar!
Sep 1, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
www.myspace.com
Ive seen alot of these pop up latley-

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/CLIP-ON-DIGITAL-LED-AUTO-TUNER-FOR-GUITAR-BASS-VIOLIN_W0QQitemZ270223044345QQihZ017QQcategoryZ22672QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Has anyone had any experience with them? How accurate are they compared to the regular plug in tuner or a rack tuner?

Im presuming it sence the vibrations in the neck to gauge weather the string is hitting the right pitch. I have a bit more confidence in plugging a guitar into a tuner, as the signal that is going to the amp comes out of the guitar output, and thats what your plugging into the tuner.

Im a bit sketchy- i want to like these, but i wanna know what others think...

For that price I'm guessing they are crap.

My first ever tuner was one of these:

241351.jpg

Then I bought one of these and kicked myself for ever tolerating the above:

368335.jpg

Of course then I had an acoustic so I also bought one of these:

41Rkh3BCuBL._AA280_.jpg

Both of them kill the first. No waiting for the LCD to react when you hit a string.

I find the clip-on tuners great to keep in your acoustic guitar case or as an emergency tuner.
If you don't use a pedal tuner, they might be handy, but don't tune somewhere where loud shit is going down or the readings might be off.

In a recording situation, don't record with the tuner plugged in.

For the project I'm doing now, we're tracking DIs for reamping and using a POD for listening reference. I didn't want to have to unplug a cable and plug it into the tuner every time we wanted to tune, and I also don't want a tuner in the signal path, so I'm using an A/B switch, routed like this:

Guitar > Radial DI (XLR out > interface, "Thru" out > A/B switch) A > tuner, B > POD > interface

Hopefully that makes sense :loco:

i tried one out and found it to be absolute shit it just couldnt read the low E for some fucked up reason, id say get a real one.

For the project I'm doing now, we're tracking DIs for reamping and using a POD for listening reference. I didn't want to have to unplug a cable and plug it into the tuner every time we wanted to tune, and I also don't want a tuner in the signal path, so I'm using an A/B switch, routed like this:

Guitar > Radial DI (XLR out > interface, "Thru" out > A/B switch) A > tuner, B > POD > interface

Hopefully that makes sense :loco:

nice! i may have to steal that idea :kickass:

IME the pod tuner is a little more 'accepting' than I am...of course I made that assessment on the 2.0 and haven't retested w/ the XT. It just seems easier to use a dedicated tuner to me.