Clips: Soldano HR50 vs. HR100+

your pick

• Total voters

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
the HR50 is a very early '92 model (MM trannies), the HR100+ is a '98 model with Schumacher trannies.

Both have the depth mod, the HR100+ also has a modded loop to accept stomp boxes...that might have an influence on the tone, it certainly seems to have an influence on the volume (the HR100+ with master on 4.5 is as loud as the HR50 with master on 2.7).

man, now comparing those two I feel like the HR50 sounds quite a bit better....
so I thought I'd just make this a blind test to see what you guys think.

Settings on the HR50 (x/11):
Gain: 7
Bass: 7
Mid: 3
Treb: 6.5
Master: 2.6
Pres: 5

Settings on the HR100+ (x/11):
Gain: 7
Bass: 7
Mid: 3
Treb: 7.6
Master: 4.7
Pres: 6

the HR100+ seems to be quite a bit darker, so I raised the treble and presence a bit to make up for that, wouldn't have been a fair shootout otherwise.

Soldano 1

Soldano 2

I actually think the middle between the two would be perfect, but if I have to choose then it would be soldano1.
I guess it's easier to tame a bit of highs then have a sound that is a bit too dark.
Soldano2 is also a bit too thick for my tastes I think.
Altho both sound awesome, and I'm really surprised that they sound so different with the same settings.

I preferred the detail of #1 for the riffing in the first and last quarters of the song, but the thickness of #2 for the middle half. The beginning and end are my favourite parts, so #1 got my poll vote.

I liked 1 better as well.

Perhaps a tad tiny tiny bit more low-end to it is the only thing I'd change about it to match the second one's fatness.

:)