Bogner modded Marshall Clips

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
yo, here's the first clip...
it's WAY less than perfect so far, this amp is really middy and smooth sounding, I think Mesa OS+sm57 is the worst possible combination to mic record amp.
I'm very sure it'll benefit a lot from some t75 in there, probably even the Bogner cab with the t75 and the fizzier sounding (compared to mesa) v30.
I think it should be mic'd with an m201 and/or ms421 to get some more sizzle and less mids...
actually...t75 mic's with m201 should be fucking perfect for the tone I'm after with this amp...

this mesa/sm57 combination lacks bite IMO....but anyways, it shows you the direction of this amp....
it's almost impossible to get it to sound fizzy or boomy....the settings I used for this clip were:

pres:8
bass: 7
mid: 2.2
treb: 7
master: 2.2
pre-gain: 2.8 (yes, this amp has HEAPS of highly saturated gain ;) ).
the sm57 for this clip was DEAD CENTER in front of the v30...as I said, it's practically impossible to get fizz from this amp :D

I didn't use a boost for this clip, it's tight and middy enough without one..actually the boost doesn't help this amp at all.

anyways, here's the clip:

marshall/Bogner through Mesa center on axis sm57 no boost

Again zero post processing of course

please bear in mind that this amp is NOT MEANT to sound like the average modern recto/5150 metalcore amp, it serves a copletely different taste, and I think it does that well.
I can only imagine how awesome it'll sound through the bogner cab and an m201/md421...
I will post those clips later, but be assured it'll fit the amp MUCH better, so don't be to hard judging it from the Mesa/57 clip

EDIT: here's a clips through the Bogner Cab, see post 21 for details:

BoBoShall

and here a different one....first the settings:

Presence: MAX
Bass: 8
Mid: 1.8
treb: 7.3
preGain: 3.1
master: 2.8
(as you can see the settings aren't much different from the settings I used for the first clip...but you'll hear that these0.4 on the mids and trebble change the sound quite a bit)

looks like some kids powerball I know ('cept for the gain of course, lol).
sound quite different though...here you go:

BoBoShall Extreme Death Metal

again, no boost involved.

EDIT: all above clips were recorded with a broken preamp tube, I'll post new clips soon

yeah, I really like how it's completely different form the "usual suspects"

it's so liquid and smooth, should be the best amp in the world for solos

Yeah i would love to hear some solo's thru this amp. But with the right cab and mic configuration i can see it working really well for stuff like between the buried and me type metal. But i def think it was a killer trade for your pittbull.

I hear a lot of potential! I can't wait to hear it with the t75's. Is this a modded JCM800, and who did the mod?

LOVE the smootheness of this clip. I also dont mind the lack of fizz tbh, although it is dark indeed...
keen to hear the clips with the t75

As we talked about via e-mail, I'm not so fond of the mids on this one. I think the Bogner Ecstacy does a much better job with them, honestly, with the same lack of fizz (loose speaker excursion)! It may also be the cab. The 2x12 Bogner cab seems really fat and personal, whereas the OS probably hollows things out a bit.

As we talked about via e-mail, I'm not so fond of the mids on this one. I think the Bogner Ecstacy does a much better job with them, honestly, with the same lack of fizz (loose speaker excursion)! It may also be the cab. The 2x12 Bogner cab seems really fat and personal, whereas the OS probably hollows things out a bit.

nah, this is the Mesa cab

Nice EL34 vintage Mullard kinda tone...creamy smooth but I think the M201 with a different cab might help bring out the mids resolution. What tubes are in there? They sound good but I don't think they are vintage Mullards, are they?

no the tubes are really not good for this amp IMO.

preamp is a mixture of chinese (*barf*) and tung sol, poweramp is chinese (*puke*)
it'll get =C= in the poweramp and JJ/Mullard in the preamp.

Awesome, keen to hear what difference the new tubes make. I know you're buying new amps like every week, so if the pang hits you again, I'd greatly recommend an Ecstacy if you're still after the 'best amp in the world for solos' because I've heard nothing else that even comes close. It has all the Bogner trademark sound, but without the fizz of the Uber, and with ultra saturated/squishy low-mids. That whole 'hugening' effect that the Krank had on the rhythms for us, the Ecstacy seems to have on leads.

I'm not sure how much bearing the cab had on it though. It should work through any as long as that awesome speaker excursion switch is set to 'loose' (best switch I've ever seen on any amp ever... it's like an in-built 6kHz lowpass).

I actually really like how this amp sound's can't wait to hear more examples of this amp.

+1 to all this. This sounds like it's going to be my kind of amp. Can't wait to hear it once you get it all sorted out Lasse.

no the tubes are really not good for this amp IMO.

preamp is a mixture of chinese (*barf*) and tung sol, poweramp is chinese (*puke*)
it'll get =C= in the poweramp and JJ/Mullard in the preamp.

Winged “C” SED should help the mids and add bottom end. I guess a good amp can sound good even with some chinese tubes.

has anyone an oldschool deathmetal tune I can reamp through this?
that's exactly what this amp was made for....old school fuckjing deathmetal!
(well, at least through the bogner cab it sounds like the perfect tone for old DM stuff)