no sm57+mesa tones...stop limiting yourselves

Yeah, I don't know. The gain knob on the amp is at 1:00, and when I play stuff with my guitar (Duncan JB) it sounds like there is PLENTY of gain (using 2x12 Roadster cab). I have my OD808 set for Overdrive Min, Balance Max, Tone 3:00. I just set the X-amp to match the room volume that my guitar produces, maybe that is a mistake. Perhaps I'll try again and boost the DI interface out and turn the X-amp gain down.

I've not ventured into reamping yet, but i think you should adjust the X-amp gain so that your amp responds the same way it would if you were playing normally into the amp (i.e not reamping), even if that means maxing out the X-amp gain.

I'll let the other guys who know better about reamping confirm that to you.

The room volume thing might trick you since a little more gain on the amp doesn't necessarily translate into the impression of more volume in the room.

Finally had the chance to do some reamptest this week.

DYI-Reampbox->TS9->6505+ Lead Channel->Marshall 1936Lead 2x12

blend of 2 mics: MD421 and PG81
quite liking how it turned out, the 81 isnt really thought to be used for this tho
1936Lead 2x12 MD421 & PG81
PG81 about 5db lower than the 421

Also miced it with a 57 for reference, as expected I like that one more
same chain, but 57 & MD421
1936Lead 2x12 SM57 & MD421
a bit more 57 than 421 in that one

Wish I could say only H/P, but I had to carve out some nastyness, I think its a combination of the room and the T75.
A lot more nastyness going on in the 421, seems it doesnt like that speaker too much, and I spend a lot of time on trying out different placements with it...but as soon as I carved out the junk I liked it

[SOUNDCLOUD]http://soundcloud.com/don-livio/lasse-mago-master/s-gl82h[/SOUNDCLOUD]
Thanks to Mago for the great playing and Lasse for the amazing backing track.
Signal chain was Palmer reamping box->TS9->Krankenstein Jr->C90-loaded Mesa.
Mics were a Beyerdynamic M201TG off axis and a cheap Chinese ribbon.
Processing on the guitars was a bit of dynamic equalization for taming the bass, hi/lowpass and a small boost @ 720Hz with a wide Q.

My first reamp EVER (so i was kinda unsure about the levels/routings but it sounds fine for now), just used the exact settings i always use at home with my own guitar, hope you guys like it (i do):

Engl SE 6L6 -> Torpedo VB-101 (Engl 412 Vintage Cab with V30's / very low speaker excursion / Blue DragonFly condenser mic dead on but a couple of inches back / Post-fx : lo-cut @103hz, EQ (Low 0; Lo-mids +2; Mid +3; Hi-mids +1; High -1), Exciter 3% @3 Khz) -> RME Fireface UC -> Reaper with just some slight EQ on guitars (HP@80hz, slight bite boost@5khz, LP@12khz), no mastering fx on the master bus :

Full-mix : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15008135/othermixes_all/Djabthrash_MagoLasseDIsReampingTestv4.mp3
Guitars only : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15008135/othermixes_all/Djabthrash_MagoLasseDIsReampingTestv4_GRs.mp3

It was great to do my first reamp with such a killer material :) And it's crazy to hear someone else play through your amp :)

Maybe i'm gonna post some more (different VB-101 settings (cab / speaker / variphase / mic model / mic placement / post-fx)) later.

Quite a particular sound on this one. TS9 - Recto - 1960tv (25w greenbacks) - Shure SM7b (gtr 1-2) and R121 (gtr 3-4). You can appreciate the chunkiness of the sound @ 3:06

Last edited by a moderator:
My first reamp EVER (so i was kinda unsure about the levels/routings but it sounds fine for now), just used the exact settings i always use at home with my own guitar, hope you guys like it (i do):

Engl SE 6L6 -> Torpedo VB-101 (Engl 412 Vintage Cab with V30's / very low speaker excursion / Blue DragonFly condenser mic dead on but a couple of inches back / Post-fx : lo-cut @103hz, EQ (Low 0; Lo-mids +2; Mid +3; Hi-mids +1; High -1), Exciter 3% @3 Khz) -> RME Fireface UC -> Reaper with just some slight EQ on guitars (HP@80hz, slight bite boost@5khz, LP@12khz), no mastering fx on the master bus :

Full-mix : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15008135/othermixes_all/Djabthrash_MagoLasseDIsReampingTestv4.mp3
Guitars only : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/15008135/othermixes_all/Djabthrash_MagoLasseDIsReampingTestv4_GRs.mp3

Well that certainly turned out better then my first reamp ;)
A tad undergained though and pretty strong in the high mids
some more meat wouldnt hurt too
but from what I understood from your posts so far you favor a really different guitarsound then I do, so take it with a grain of salt ;)

It was great to do my first reamp with such a killer material :) And it's crazy to hear someone else play through your amp :)

haha yeah I remember that strange feeling too....for me it was Jeff playing the guitar tone competition last year when I first reamped someone elses material..pretty unreal at first hehe
Thanks for the compliments too, and I feel honored in a strange way that your first reamped was with something I played :D

Well that certainly turned out better then my first reamp ;)
A tad undergained though and pretty strong in the high mids
some more meat wouldnt hurt too
but from what I understood from your posts so far you favor a really different guitarsound then I do, so take it with a grain of salt ;)

haha yeah I remember that strange feeling too....for me it was Jeff playing the guitar tone competition last year when I first reamped someone elses material..pretty unreal at first hehe
Thanks for the compliments too, and I feel honored in a strange way that your first reamped was with something I played :D

Thanks Mago !

It sounds like my tone but i guess the way i play and my setup (pick attack / fretting / used pick / guitar / strings / pup's) make the amp react a bit differently than when I am playing.
What setup did you use by the way ? (how hard do you pick ? pick ? guitar ? wood ? pup's ? strings gauge and brand ?). If there is an original thread (other than this one) with all this info i'd like to check it out.

And yeah i like this crisp high mids slightly undergained kind of tone , but since it's not my DIs i'm gonna try something a little different (more meat and gain namely) soon just for kicks.

I dig your DI/backing track combo, now i'm gonna try some other killer "DI/backing track" files from this forum : Ola's, Rose of sharyn DIs, etc...