no sm57+mesa tones...stop limiting yourselves

Could you guys upload tracks of just the guitar itself? Hearing it with bass and drums is cool, but I'd also/primarily like to hear the guitar itself. But then again, I'm a n00b to this forum and you guys probably don't give a shit what I have to say :lol:

Have been using SM7 on my last 2 mixes. Fuck Sm57.. ;-)...
Hehe, nah it's just refreshing trying something new.

Actually have an Orange cab borrowed from someone now, trying that one out tonight actually :)..

Great thread Lasse, listening to your clips right now and they slay (p.s : i'm not a huge fan of your guitar tones usually (but maybe i'm just full of shit right now and would love them if listening back to them :) ), and not a fan of the SM57 when miking my rig either). I love the M160 (with the Torpedo VB-101) on my rig though. I like the SM57 grit for palm-mutes, but i don't like the way chords ring, and the overall tonal character (sounds too much like the modern metal tones i'm not a huge fan of) bugs me. I can see how it's easy to mix though, i'm just not a huge fan of the tone.

My non-SM57 favs are (judging from my experience with the torpedo) : Blue Dragonfly condenser, BeyerDynamic M160, Royer 121 Ribbon. The torpedo firmware has improved lately (better load compensation among others), and so have my ears and my monitors so hopefully i'll post a tone that people won't call "shitty" sometime soon :)

EDIT : On your clips, i really like the mix (great drums) and the riffing, so it helps :)

Great tone ! Maybe a bit too loud in the mix, but i guess it could have been done on purpose for tone-showcasing ends.

Glad you like, first time I actually tried this Orange cab, really surprises me. Got more guts than the Marshall cabs I've got... I feel major GAS coming up.
It indeed was the intention to have the guitars up front for demonstration purposes.
Added a 2nd clip with a bit more presence, also made sure for this one volume is down a tiny bit in the mix.

Glad you like, first time I actually tried this Orange cab, really surprises me. Got more guts than the Marshall cabs I've got... I feel major GAS coming up.
It indeed was the intention to have the guitars up front for demonstration purposes.
Added a 2nd clip with a bit more presence, also made sure for this one volume is down a tiny bit in the mix.

OK thanks for the info !

The new clip sounds amazing, but i think the guitars may be a wee bit too loud.

Again, the guitar DIs and the backing track are awesome. I love the music and the performance and the backing track production !

Thanks about the music and performance part...at least for guitars and bass ;)
I agree, the backingtrack Lasse made kicks major ass

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9724960/01Mixdown3.mp3
Demoversion, not processing other then HP/LP. Sloppy playing, bass with extremely old strings and turned up too much, I know.
Chain on the left side: Carvin CS6M with Carvin S22B bridge pick-up -> Marshall TSL 100 crunch channel -> Marshall VS412 cab with Celestion G12-L40 speakers -> mic'd wih a Sontronics Sigma ribbon mic and a Electrovoice MC150.
Chain on the right side: Gibson Flying V with a Phatkat bridge pick-up -> Marshall TSL 100 crunch channel -> Marshall VS412 cab with Celestion G12-L40 speakers -> mic'd wih a Sontronics Sigma ribbon mic and a Electrovoice MC150.

I don't even own a sm57 at the moment. Or a mesa-cab. :)