Clone pre-amps and whatnot

RichMinerva

New Metal Member
Jul 27, 2009
Hey guys I'm looking at buying a clOne of a popular pre-amp and I've noticed you guys mentioning a company that sells them I always forget the name,

What I wondered is wether they had a clone of the a2d? I need a couple of really good preamps for oh's and to pump my guitars through :)

not sure tbh...
the DIY 11 space 500 series Rack costs 880 in parts....the brent averill 11 space 500 series rack costs only 100 more....
I think it's the same for the DIY preamps etc..it's not realy as much cheaper as you'd expect...at least not if you#re using quality parts

not sure tbh...
the DIY 11 space 500 series Rack costs 880 in parts....the brent averill 11 space 500 series rack costs only 100 more....
I think it's the same for the DIY preamps etc..it's not realy as much cheaper as you'd expect...at least not if you#re using quality parts

Is that seventh circle lasse?

Tbf 800 means I'd be saving about a thousand pounds compared to the a2d, what do you think?

Is that seventh circle lasse?

Tbf 800 means I'd be saving about a thousand pounds compared to the a2d, what do you think?

wasn't talking about the preamps, but JUST about the housing for the 500series preamps plus the PSU.
you'll still have to buy the preamps!
so if you DIY the housing is like 880, if you buy it from brent averill (wthout any risk) it's just 100 more expensive...that's a no brainer for me.

similar thing is true for the preamps, they're not as much cheaper as one might think.

wasn't talking about the preamps, but JUST about the housing for the 500series preamps plus the PSU.
you'll still have to buy the preamps!
so if you DIY the housing is like 880, if you buy it from brent averill (wthout any risk) it's just 100 more expensive...that's a no brainer for me.

similar thing is true for the preamps, they're not as much cheaper as one might think.

Ahhhh right I was just looking at buying a full kit to do myself, I'm sorry if I sound noobish (which I do) but who or what is Brent avarill? And with say the seventh circle audio kits what extra does it need?

Ignore the BAE comment I googled it haha, so does he make clones of the outboard stuff?
What pre's are in the a2d? Or what pre would you recommend for what I'm after?

the a2d is not just a preamp, it's got built in converters!
if you want just the preamps get the 3124+
not sure if you can buy them as 500 series or clones though, AFAIK those are only 512s etc, still good preamps.

When I was looking for something a little more "budget" I looked into the seven circle stuff for some neve emulation wanting a couple channels. And it seems to be the cheapest way to snag some 72 emulation with a cost of $978 (2 channels, PSU and rack).

I also looked into the five fish stuff and a pair of 500 series 72s are $950 alone and then there is of course the cost of a PSU unit (be it api or the like).

So to me I would rather (just personally) shell for a Vintech 1272 over a couple of five fish pres and the PSU which ended up being just as expensive if not more.

The SCA stuff is really nice, but if I had to do it over again, I'd go with a 500 rack.

They didn't have near as many DIY 500 series modules as they do now.

Don't know about these, but I am thinking about picking them up soon (Golden Age Projects Pre 73 and COMP-54), based on the comments I have read. THe Pre 73 is an emulation of the neve preamps

classicapi.com do DIY clones of 500 series 312 preamps.

Was just going to suggest these. An engineer that I work with has two of the VP26's (512 clones) and they sound fantastic. FWIW, I prefer those over the 312's. They sound a A LOT like the pre's in the old API's that we've worked on around town. Very fair price too.

Was just going to suggest these. An engineer that I work with has two of the VP26's (512 clones) and they sound fantastic. FWIW, I prefer those over the 312's. They sound a A LOT like the pre's in the old API's that we've worked on around town. Very fair price too.

Ive got 6 of the 312's in a lunchbox.

I was already considering getting some of the VP26's when i can afford it.

The SCA stuff is really nice, but if I had to do it over again, I'd go with a 500 rack.

They didn't have near as many DIY 500 series modules as they do now.

if you ever decide to sell the sca stuff and go the 500 route let me know. I'm in the Chicago area. haha I saw your video you did putting yours together and kinda made me think about going with the sca stuff...... right now I saving up for either a sca fully loaded or a vintech 473 not really sure on which one yet.

I'd love to have some vintechs...
no european dealers though (none that I know of at least)

That sucks.

I was going off of the price of 2 new five fish audio X72 500 modules and a new A designs 500HR rack. The price for that would be $1250.

The price of a new vintech 1272 is $1354.

But the price of a couple N72 (seventh circle) with the PSU harness and rack chassis is only $978.

Talking about Neve 1272 clones only.