Closure (P3 Live - Opeth Malmö 090218)

FRUGiHOYi

"Since 1981"
Jul 11, 2004
Copenhagen, Denmark
I am sitting here listening to Closure from the recent Malmö broadcast and I am like :OMG: at this jam in the middle. Is it really a jam? I have seen them do this before on both of the DVDs and live various times, but never like THIS. It's amazing and then I thought "Wait! You were at this Malmö concert!" And I couldn't believe it. What the hell was wrong with me? How did I not hear what I heard just now?

:worship:

That's because the situation is different when you're sitting at home than when you're right there. You're so into it that you catch much less of it.

I'm pretty sure they changed it, since that is what Mikael said at the Peace & Love festival gig.
they did some new improvising-psychadelic-jam-version of it. awesome.

so yeah, I'm glad they dare to go off-road with their songs. that's what makes a great live performance.

its been rehearsed; its been part of their current setlist for a while if u look on youtube videos you will hear they play it the same way. each time per plays a riff from a famous song that I can't figure out what the name is. Surely tho, they do improvise a little, but they have it worked out in sections.

There was a jam during lamentations-era with Lopez on drums, then this new one with Axe. Even more psych-flavored guitars in the latter. Its rehearsed in the sense that they know the actual flow and dynamics, but its most def some pure impro in terms of the details.

its been rehearsed; its been part of their current setlist for a while if u look on youtube videos you will hear they play it the same way. each time per plays a riff from a famous song that I can't figure out what the name is. Surely tho, they do improvise a little, but they have it worked out in sections.

I saw them play this version in Knoxville, TN. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing a riff from Hendrix's "Third Stone From the Sun" during the jam.