COB Interviews

So, this is zircos and mine "translationproject".
This is Radio Reaktori-interview, original interview can be downloaded from here. Here is the translation of first 10 minutes. It's by me, I hope there's not so much mistakes with the translation :) Hope you enjoy!

Interviewer: Today in serie ’Henkilökohtaista’ we have in interview Children Of Bodoms singer/guitarist/song maker Alexi Laiho. Alexi, how is it like to be you right now?
Alexi: Well, a little bit oppressive and fucked up because right know I cant play at all, which is like, at this moment I should write new music, and somehow the per cent of frustration begins to be pretty big, like I don’t know what should I do. But after a week I can play again, so of course that’s the only “life string” here that I can catch out. But otherwise I think there’s nothing special, it’s pointless to be depressed, there’s nothing I can do about it.
I: So you have your left hand in bandage. Tell us now, how did you get yourself in that condition?
A: Well yeh, my left shoulder went broke in bowling-alley, so what I thought was that I must be the biggest idiot in Finland, because I actually succeed to break my shoulder in bowling-alley. There isn’t even any good story for it, nothing. It was just that in bowling-alley I slipped so badly that somehow I got down on my shoulder and there it then went broken. But I think it’s somehow funnier to tell people about that when I fell of from the cars roof drunk than that I was in some fucking bowling-alley, seriously.
I: Do you think that you are happy right now?
A: Well, what does the happiness really mean, like I’m not happy right now, but I could say that if my hand was ok, I would be satisfied.
I: Let’s move from this moment a bit backwards to Espoo. What kind of place has Espoo been to you?
A: Well, I got lots of bad memories from there but I guess I have a few good ones too. It was a good place to grow up when I was a kid, like there you could go anywhere because basically the whole city is suburb. So, I had to get away from there and I’m not going back.
I: Tell us, how did you get your interest in music?
A: My mum and dad have explained that I started to sing before talking. I had like listen some Beethoven or something and I was like 8 months old when I had started to sing it. And when I was 3 or 4 years old, my dad listened Dire Straits and music like that, and then I just liked pretty much about the guitar thing. And I guess that was how I got into guitars. I started to play violin when I was 7 years old until 11, when I started to play guitar.
I: What were the reasons why you chose violin?
A: Now I really have to say that I really can’t remember but I think it has something to do with that, that I wasn’t good enough to become a pianist. And also at home were listened lot of classical music, there was lot of thing which I liked and still like. I don’t know was it some subconscious thing that violin was the closest with guitar or something like that. I think it was a good thing that I played it but then when during the years the rock-thing started to interest, it started to be like “have to get that guitar and quick, otherwise nothing is gonna work”
I: What are then your favourites in classical music?
A: Mozart is absolute number one, but then are those basics like Bach and Vivaldi. But I think Mozart has got the most “colourful” production even if from Vivaldi has been told that he has done the same composition like 500 times, there’s a lot of good things. But as I said, Mozart is absolute number one.
I: You have said that your interest in heavy music started from your sisters cd-collections. If we talk a little bit of your big sister, were you ever the teased little brother?
A: Well, we did argue pretty much especially when we were teenagers, but we have always been and are still, pretty close. Like when I was very small kid she always took care of me and there wasn’t any jealousy, or that’s how I have comprehended it. On the other hand once she had made me to sit down to ant-hill but that doesn’t really belong to this.
I: No, tell us more
A: I don’t remember it myself. I was like 2 years old or like that and my mum had camed in panic like “what are you doing”. I had sat, no, stood on the top on ant-hill and there were like ants everywhere. And my sister had just explained to our mother that “I made Alexi the king of the ants” that it’s ok. I guess then it was a good thing to be the king of the ants.
I: Little birds told me that you were a good skateboarder. Could you still stay on top of the skateboard?
A: Yeh, I can still stay on skateboard. Actually it’s a thing that I started again. I quitted it because I didn’t want to break any bones, but as you can see, the result is the same anyway.
I: Were you good at school?
A: No, I wasn’t. Straight and abrupt “no”. I wasn’t interested in anything there. I had, actually I have problems to concentrate to thing which I’m not interested at all. The first time when it was possible to get rid of it was after 9th grade. I didn’t continue to anywhere after that, it just wasn’t my thing at all.
I: How much did you spend time in after-detention?
A: Quite enough. I think I have done after-detentions in lieu of one or more lives.
I: Do you remember why did you usually fall into there?
A: Couple of times for smoking and then for general stuff. And it was like that all the teachers abominated me. I remember one thing that our drummer Jaska can ascertain that I have once been thrown away from the class and the teacher has admit after that, that really, for that one time I didn’t even do anything. It was like Jaska and one other guy were shouting and doing something. And then the teacher was like “Allu, out and quickly!” I was like I didn’t even do a thing, didn’t say a word for that one time but it was like “Out!”. And then the teacher camed to talk to me to the corridor and I said that “really, I didn’t do anything”. The teacher told me that unfortunately he/she didn’t know who it was, but somebody had to go in that situation. The teacher admitted straight that he/she knew or at least he/she didn’t knew that it would have been me. But still, somebody had to go so it had to be Laiho.
I: Can you guess why weren’t you so liked among the teachers?
A: Because usually it was me, who caused all kind of stuff during classes.
I: You say you have been wild when you were a kid. Was your mum ever up to creek when little-Alexi was in full swing?
A: I guess moms are always up to creek and she is still, in her own way. Somehow that general caring just never stops.
I: Was your mum getting grey hair when girls and beer started to interest you?
A: Well, yeah but I had this privilege, because I think my big sister got the biggest shit about that what teenagers usually do, they start to smoke and drink beer, or well most of them, there’s just nothing you can do about. For me it was easier, like my parents camed to say to me that they know what I’m doing, like what you are doing and what’s happening there, how many beers am I going to drink and then I was like ok, this many and the promise was that, that no more at all, and usually it went like that.

Thanks^^ Like zirco said, its nice to be useful :) This is actually fun and I get some practise with my english ;)

Edit:
I translated this short interview from the Soundi magazine Jan. 2007 issue.
Hey, I have translated that same thing :D Actually, I translated the whole interview with Marco. It's in Scythes but I can put it here too, though is a bit old already :) But now I have to return to my translation work with the radio interview :)

Decided to post new message. So, hear is the third part.

Jaska:…and then he is wondering why his stomach doesn’t endure touring. And every single time when he starts to complain about it, we others are like, now some mash and meatballs to the mouth and quick.
I: Now you have a chance to answer for this and tell why you’re not a fan of the food during tours?
A: Well…there is lot’s of reasons. Sometimes it’s just that there just isn’t really anything anywhere. In a way before a gig I don’t really bother to eat too much that I wouldn’t be just some fucking helpless, pitiful ball who is just rolling on the stage, like I think you can’t really eat so much before the gig and then again after gig if you start to drink, well you’re not so interested in eating. Everything what Jaska says is true, that of course I have been sometimes in a bit miserable condition because of it, but…well, this is a good example for taking care of each other. I do listen them, if somebody then them.
I: Ok, let’s move from food to drink. What is your favourite drink?
A: Well…basic beer and then…cider is one thing that I really miss because in some point somebody is asking what is that what I miss from Finland. Sometimes I just miss the cider, there is that good thing like…well, an Irish pub can be found from everywhere, no matter where you are on earth. But sometimes you just have to find some place that you can find cider. I’m a friend oh whiskey, that’s one…
I: What is the best whiskey?
A: Jameson is lie number one or no matter which…surprise…
I: Can be found here from the floor
A: Yeah, from the floor. I don’t know like, I drank Jack Daniels pretty long time but it really burns a hole to your stomach quite quickly. But I like to be sober too and closed to the moment due to that I like to play and I think drinking and playing don’t really belong together and they must have be separated. I like cars too and driving and drinking at the same time isn’t the best idea in the world.
I: Tell a little bit, what is found behind Children of Bodom Hate Crew?
A: Hate Crew is just…it’s kind of a joke which we dreamed up along time ago, I don’t even remember in what connection it was. It’s kind of another name for our band, another name from us. Our band members and the guys of our crew who tour with us and couple of friends belong in it, which have penetrated this…test.
I: This was what I had to ask about, what kind of is this test?
A: Well, it’s not really so difficult like…there belongs that you must stand on your hands against the wall. Somebody is holding you up and the other is felling whiskey upside down to your mouth so that the whiskey goes to your nose and eyes and that really isn’t a picnic. And after that everybody slaps in your face and then you must slap back. And that’s it.
I: How has this ritual got started?
A: I don’t, surprisingly, really remember. It haven’t been planned, I guess it was just that one night we had boring and we were in some bus and had to drive like thousand miles. And then we took this standing on hands-whiskey thing that everybody had to do it. And somehow it just…well, we slap each other in faces, with love of course.
I: That sounds very painful.
A: If it really gets to your nose. Like when you’re upside down and it’s going to your nose and eyes, there is like nothing funny about it, really.
I: Who have penetrated this ritual?
A: Of course everybody in our band and crew and then few outsider. For example Randy, the singer of Lamb of God who is a good friend of us anyway, has done this.
I: What did you tell to Randy about this, did you say that this is a Finnish tradition?
A: No, we just told him that this is just our thing. I remember when Randy slapped me, I spitted to my hand and there was only blood. Then I was just like “Dude, you’re in”.
I: I don’t know am I able to continue from this, at least not so normally.
A: Well, you wanted to know.
I: You serve as a model for many young guitarists. What kind of models do you have?
A: Well, everybody who has got something to do with Ozzy like Randy Rhoads, Jake E. Lee, Zakk Wylde. I think my biggest guitarist idol is Steve Vai, like it was the reason, it was the last nail in the chest why I started to play guitar.
(Some music from Steve Vai)
I: You already mentioned names of those men, but you were lately in the cover of Guitar World with Zakk Wylde and Steve Vai. How was it like?
A: It was something totally incomprehensible. Because there was like two of my ultimate guitar idols. This is like very stupid thing, but you know when you meet your idol you become like this…I could have been some schoolgirl. After that it was just like…well first like they already knew who I was and they were like that “it’s very good what you do, you like take good care of your friends”. I was trembling at least an hour after it.
I: What would you call your careers highlight or did you already mention it?
A: Well, of course there are those…basic things like merely getting the first label deal or the first time in Japan, it will always be like “the thing”. And then that photo session with those two heroes is absolutely one of those highlights.
I: Does these part company with your highlight in personal life?
A: Well, not really because…my life is basically music, I don’t really have time to do anything else than music.
I: Now from the highlights to the down points. So, what about your careers down points?
A: Of course there’s a few gig which have left a bit…crappy feelings. And then are those stories outside of music. Like for example there was this one time when we were in Mexico City for a gig and then we had to play in Bogotá, Columbia next day. And nobody had really slept during that tour, we just didn’t have time. I remember that I was myself like after the gig I’m going to bed and that’s it. The flight to Bogotá was leaving 5am. so suddenly happened that I was in the hotels lobby wearing some palm shirt and big drink in front of me. So complaining doesn’t always work. But then I was just thinking that it’s ok, I can sleep during the flight.

Ok, the last part of this interview. There are few parts that might not make any sence to you but what ever :) So, here it is.

A: Well that’s a long story.
I: We have time
A: I know but I was just thinking…I was dating 4 years with this American lady who then moved to Finland. How could I phrase it…I think it just was easier for everyone that we are officially married. Though we broke up like 5 years ago but…I guess we’re divorcing in some point but it’s just one of those paper works that doesn’t really…interest. But yeah, we are still friends but it just didn’t…work.
I: And you’re still married?
A: Yeah, still married. Here is my wedding ring (shows his tattoo). She has got the same tattoo.
I: It’s like…let me see
A: It’s that kind of snake-thing.
I: You won’t get it off.
A: I know but I don’t regret it, same thing with all of my tattoos. Well, I wouldn’t take anybody’s name though I have one initials but that doesn’t belong to this. It was just one of quite important part of my life.
I: You said that it was easier for everyone that you got married, you mean with permit of residence?
A: Well yeah, something like that.
I: And to mention, this was Sinergy’s singer, Kimberly Goss.
A: Yes.
I: Talking about Sinergy, you are besides Bodom in two side projects. How do you have the time and the head?
A: The other of these projects is Kylähullut which isn’t needed time and especially no head, so it’s not a problem. It’s kind of ours therapy-thing. It’s like, if you have some free time you can use it how you like it. If you want to go some Tenerife then go, but if you want to drink beer and play punk with your friends, that’s like my personal Tenerife.
(part of Kylähullus ‘Scenehuora’)
I: I can understand metal project like Sinergy, but how in hell did you fall into play in Kylähullut, e.g. with Vesku Jokinen from Klamydia.
A: Vesku Jokinen is one of my best friends, really and we just got an idea that hey let’s make some punk-cd, with humour.
I: And in Finnish
A: Of course. There’s like little spirit of Klamydia but also some heavy guitars. And then just…well, when we go and hang out, everybody has to watch out.
I: Let’s go back to your tattoos, you have formidably tattoos, what do you actually have?
A: Well, I have this whole ‘sleeve’. It just started, I have this reaper from the cover of our first record. Then I just decided that I want to continue it. And then this other side, I have this spider web which is very legendary. I don’t know do people even know what it really means. Well, it really doesn’t mean anything here. Nowadays it doesn’t really mean anything but initially it meant that you have killed somebody. And before you ask, I haven’t killed anybody.
And then some time I saw this picture where was this guy wearing some kind of robe and he was holding a bottle in his hand and I thought it was very cool. There is also name of one of our names, “Trashed, Lost and Strungout” it was just how I felt just at the moment. And or course you have o had one pentagram. Then is this definitely familiar picture.
I: Finnish Lion
(The lion is in the coats of Arms in Finland)
A: Yeh…there’s some who has camed and asked like what the fuck, is that like some kind of Nazi thing or something. And then I’m like, what the, what? First of all it’s, well there’s two reasons for that. This is like an evidence of honour to my grandparents who have been in the war against Soviet Union, and kind of thanks for everyone who’s on account of that we are here.
I: What do people think abroad about Finnish Lion? Does it wake up any questions?
A: Well of course they don’t know what it is and I have been asked few times that what it is. I was in Los Angeles and if I don’t remember wrong, I was about to leave it quite soon so I had to decide quickly. Then I was just thinking that it would be cool to take Finnish Lion in L.A. But then I had a problem that where I’m gonna get the picture. Maybe this is one of those things which Jaska said that I'm dumb and I wonder things that little kids wonder, but I realised that if I’m here, I guess I have my passport with me where I can get the picture.
I: We are right now here in your home. Is here some stuff which are most important for you?
A: Well of course my guitars and then I have this old and very reliable recorder which I have made lot of music with, more than I can count. It has been a huge help. There is the poster from our very first Europe-tour. And then I have one pretty cool poster in my bedroom from Jenna Jameson where she is posing with Jackson’s brand shaped guitar. Somehow it was just so cool picture that I had to put it on my wall.
I: Well, Jenna is pretty girl…
A: Yeah, she is.
I: What kind of guitars do you have there?
A: They are ESP’s brand shaped guitars. I played with Jackson’s but then they got stole and I couldn’t get new ones. Then ESP made an offer that they could make guitars for me. First I was little like I don’t really know, I want to play with Jackson’s. But they said that they can make exactly same looking ones what your stolen ones were.
I: So you have your own signature serie?
A: Yes.
I: Isn’t that a sign that you’re quite known player?
A: Yeah, it’s great thing. Still it’s quite unbelievable that why would someone actually want to buy some finish cp’s guitar. It’s a good ‘spear’.
I: Where does this come from that you call guitars as spears?
A: Well, we have kind of our own “vocabulary”. In some point everything what is big or like that is called ‘kiuas’ (=sauna oven). And in some point something was ‘mörssäri’ (have no idea what that means) or thresher all everything retarded things like that.
This spear thing comes from one story. I don’t remember who told me this but it inserted with Remu Aaltonen. I don’t even know has this ever happened but it really sounds like that it could really have been happened. Remu was recording some guitar things for Andy McCoy or something like that. And Andy had camed to the studio in not so good condition and Remu had said a bit angrily that “now the flower hat from head and spear to the hand“. I think that was just so fucking good sentence that from that has came to our vocabulary word spear and if somebody is drunk we say that he’s wearing a flower hat.
I: Does Bodom have any songs that have been created with flower hat on head?
A: Not songs but lyrics, pretty much.
I: Any examples?
A: When we we’re recording our last album, in the very end of the recording there was 3 songs which didn’t have lyrics. I said to the recorded that three days and the lyrics will be ready and that I’ll sing them during one day. And then I really closed myself here and, this might be sound quite heavy but what ever. I was like eating some caffeine pills that I stayed awake and drank at leas one bottle of whiskey per day. I was just sitting and I just had to get the inspiration what usually is that I have to like feel melancholy and that something is badly. That is just the fountain of inspiration at least by the lyrics. And then I was just sitting on balcony drinking lot of whiskey and writing lyrics and I just watched other, normal people jogging and I was just some kind of alcoholic writing crappy lyrics. Then I heard that those lyrics become the best lyrics I have ever written. And I also kept my promise and sang those in one day.
I: And what lyrics were they?
A: Living Dead Beat, Are You Dead Yet and We’re Not Gonna Fall
I: Those are great songs. Alexi Laiho, how is the future looking?
A: Well, we are making some new music and then to the studio in August. Anyway the new album will appear in the beginning of next year.
I: How far to the future do you venture to look with Bodom?
A: I don’t really want to look to the future with anything for too far. Because in someway I like the feeling that I don’t know. Of course I hope that everything is gonna go alright. I’m not able to look more farther than the upcoming of the new album. And I know that we’ll be touring next two years. So after that I don’t know what is going to happen or is anything gonna happen.
I: Thank you Alexi!
A: No problem!

Holy crap. Remember a long time ago, a person made a thread saying how you join the hate crew, by doing that thing where you stand upside down and drink etc etc, and everyone laughed at him....he was actually right!