COB Interviews

Thanks Sleeper, that article's really well written too! And it's nice to actually hear him vent about his mental health history like that,it was way too sensitive an issue to discuss before but with blooddrunk coming out we're finally get a better insight into his depression.

deeptallica your signature is awesome! so you have the original pictures?

Back on topi : Alexi keeps hiding his left arm...

Thank you Eva, glad someone likes my work :D
Here they are:
fme2007077-1.jpg

fme2007086.jpg

It must have been hard to be in a psychiatric hospital. I went there several times when I was little to visit my mother, usually you don't go out without any trauma.

Summer 2004 I worked in some gardening job and I had to go to a psychiatric hospital area to dig up and replant some flowers or whatever, I swear it was a horrible experience, only the voices coming from the open windows make you feel seriously disturbed.

Interview with Alexi from this month's Zero Tolerance magazine:

Wanna talk polarisation? Wanna talk about a band that splits the metal genre into opposing factions with a precision likened only to Manowar? Finland's Children of Bodom are that band. So much so that when Lord Randall was asked halfway through his verbal sparring with Alexi Laiho, "What? Do you write for some Bodom hate magazine or something?" it did not seem out of place. However, like 'em or not, Children of Bodom were, are and remain a force to be reckoned with. A Blooddrunk (pun intended) Alexi Laiho phones in from Finland.

Children of Bodom's new effort sees Janne Warman's trademark keys being given back their place in the mix, a fact not lost on founding guitarist/vocalist Alexi Laiho. "Yeah, there actually are more keys. Y'know, it's kind of funny - people hear less keys in the earlier stuff, when there were actually more. It's just that there was so much stuff going on that you couldn't actually pick them out like you can on the new one." Fine, we stand corrected. But what one cannot deny is the tidal surge in COB's popularity in the past five years, especially in the hard-to-crack US market, leaving one to suspect clandestine meetings regarding percentage points, monetary gain, and the consumer-driven youth of today. "It was nothing intentional," laughs Laiho.

"I think a lot of that comes down to the bands you tour with, who, like it or not, are going to influence your music. You can't play with another band for three months and not have some influence by them. If we'd done Something Wild for the fourth time on this album, we'd have people saying we were stuck in a rut. If Metallica put out Kill 'Em All seven times, people would be calling them out on it, too, I'd bet."

Even this writer had to admit the most seamless integration of solo and song since the early days occurs during Blooddrunk. Where previous efforts Hatecrew Deathroll and Are You Dead Yet? found the guitarist clearly in ego-ramp form, a la a more technically skilled C.C. Deville, the new album finds Laiho playing for the song instead of using it as a vehicle for flash. Laiho (slightly) concurs. "Some of the stuff on those albums may have seemed over the top as far as technicality goes, but I'd like to think that I always grow as a guitar player, and I have always tried to play solos that serve the music. That's what makes a guitar player a guitarist, and that's the only reason anyone should do a lead in the first place - to make the song sound better." So, then, was this seemingly new concern for the song a natural outgrowth of the material written for Blooddrunk? "It was all natural, pretty much. I come from a lead guitar background, and it just kind of comes out. If I think of it too much, I end up coming up with a bunch of crap that doesn't fit the song. I put everything I have into making each note sound like it belongs there, and if it was just me playing super-fast, there wouldn't be any passion there."

Passion. Now there's one. When it comes to vocal ability, Alexi has never admitted being a spot-on singer in the traditional sense, one of the many criticisms levelled against his band by naysayers on the web and world over. That said, his vocals - this time produced by Peter Tägtgren, the illustrious Hypocrisy mainman himself - on the new platter brim with an aggression more akin to the rawer, more incendiary Something Wild days. "I guess I was just as pissed off as I was when I was 18," Laiho opines. "And yeah, I think it has something to do with Peter producing the vocals. I really wanted him to record me this time, as he's quite a skilled vocalist, along with being a good man behind the mixing board. He was very beneficial in telling me what I should or shouldn't do while letting my natural voice come out." Laughing, the vocalist continues: "He was good for pushing, for cracking the whip, and telling me 'Come on! You can be more pissed off than that!' to the point that I'd tell him, 'Yes, I can! I'm getting pissed at you!' So, I guess he got what we both wanted out of me."

Playing devil's advocate, I enquire of his thoughts on the element of COB's non-fanbase that views the man as a bleach-blonde pretty boy who insists on making all the rules in his band. Alexi replies: "Well, the thing is, I write the music and the lyrics. The other guys do participate, and we work and rehearse together as a band. Still, there has to be someone who calls the shots, otherwise nothing gets done. I can settle disagreements and be a deciding vote without being a fucking dictator. I guess what I'm trying to say is that those people who think that way also do not live my life. They can think what they want, and I don't care." Point made, I feel. And that's all well and good, but the sudden explosion of COB as a household name coming so rapidly, their meteoric rise in status is the fodder for certain unnamed message boards the world over and the stuff of which journalistic vitriol is made. An easy target, some say? But have Children of Bodom paid the dues for the ride they currently enjoy?

"I think we have. First, we've been doing this shit since we were 13 and 14, and didn't get anything even released until after five years of practising. We did well enough on that first album to make a second, and well enough on the second to make a third, and so on. I'm not going to intentionally make bad music so that people can feel better about themselves. I'm so not into the whole Blabbermouth bullshit, either. I barely go to our own homepage any more. I have more important things to do than worry about the three guys online hugging each other, trying to decide if I'm 'metal enough' or not."

Well said. And Blooddrunk may just tbe the return to form the older COB fans are looking for. And, apparently, COB are men enough to know when a song could maybe stand a re-working in order to be up to par. Case in point: Tie My Rope, a track originally featured on the Viva La Bands compilation disc and reimagined for Blooddrunk. But why re-record a song so new instead of an old favourite? "We wanted to do that, no matter what," says Laiho. "We weren't satisfied with the guitars or the vocals on the original, and we had the chance to improve the song. We figured if we didn't like the new one, we'd just keep the old; luckily, we did. I don't know how many people heard it the first time around, anyway." And the band's legendary sense of humour remains intact, one of the four covers chosen as bonus tracks for Blooddrunk being 'Just Dropped In' by Kenny Rogers. C'mon, no one drinks enough to think that's a good idea ... do they?

"I did the vocals one morning, and I was really, really hardcore hungover," Alexi laughs. "For some reason, I was able to do the vocals pretty well, but, man, I was seriously ... I was like Ozzy, all shuffling around. I had to take a few shots of vodka just to get my head back on straight!"

At the end of the day, though, what really matters is if the band still considers themselves to be valid and making quality metal music. On that point, it seems Laiho is very serious. "The truth is, we still enjoy doing this. We're still psyched to write new music, and we've still got that drive. I think that's what validates us more than money, more than fame, more than anything. As long as we still have that 'something' that pushes us to create exreme metal, I see no reason to stop."

^^Yeah, thanks again :)

Edit: Here is the translation sleeper666 asked for :) I dont know is it so correctly translated by grammar but here it is anyway.

Children Of Bodom – At the source of ultimate heaviness

To the conference room of record Label Spinefarm comes little bit wilted guitarist Alexi Laiho. Yesterday evening went late and Laiho has just been waken up from night to give interviews for medias eager for information. Heavymetal-punks hangover isn’t the worst kind so Laiho has got some energy to speak about Children Of Bodoms new Blooddrunk-album and about who is it going with his band.

Blooddrunk is even in the scale of Bodoms very heavy and angry package. Has the limit of ultimate heaviness been reached?

- That’s pretty much what we achieved with that album. You can always do better but we achieved what we achieved.

In year 2006 Children Of Bodom toured around the world in Unholy Alliance-tour with Slayer. To the heavymetal-caravan were belonged also In Flames, Lamb Of God and Thine Eyes Bleed. Has there been some effects to the Blooddrunks heavy context by touring as a warm-up band with thrash-legend?

- Yeh, your rowfellow’s have always some effect to your own playing, at least if you tour with fucking great bands like Slayer of Lamb Of God. You don’t seek the effect by purpose, but there might stay something to your subconscious.

Blooddrunk will see the daylight in Finland 9th April, so there will be busy time at the spring for Children Of Bodom. Bands gigcalendar has been filled to the end of the year 2009.

- Now I’m 28. When I come back home from tour I’m over 30, so I’ll come back as an old man.

The row consists again pretty inclusive area from world. Right now the reapers are going to go to Australia, New Zealand, tour Europe and go to Usa more than once – first time as a warm-up for Megadeth. Next fall there will be clubgigs in Finland. Is there any place on earth where the scythe of Bodom hasn’t been swinged yet?

- We haven’t been so much in Africa, but I bet it’s not really our place. There are a few unmapped places.

The manic-depressive Bodom

Blooddrunk has been recorded in the middle of Finland’s forestviews, Hollola. On the grounds of video from bands homepage, recordings have run enjoyable. Still, accomplished output is one big teeth-tightening and crumple of barbwire.

- I guess we are so manic-depressive band then. Either we have very good spirit of happening or then mindless rage on, Alexi grins.

Songs played with attitude need lyrics with attitude. While listening to Alexi’s holler most clearly separates words “fuck”, “fucking” or “motherfucker”. Highlighting of swearing might turn up into corny in some other context, but because it’s about Children Of Bodom, every f-word has gained its place. The rage is real.

Depth or poetry has never been part of Laiho’s lyrics. They are pretty much letting out shitty feelings.

- Oh oh how I felt so pissed off again, Laiho laughs and takes a draught from beer.

- It’s important for me how the lyrics sound like, not how fine they look on the paper. Singing is just one instrument more along the others.

Finnish-language metal is now very in. For Laiho, the heavymetal sang on his own language is however a bit difficult thing.

- I still don’t really dig about the combination of metal and finnish-language. For example Mokoma and Stam1na play very great music, but its kind of difficult for me to process them because of the language. Of course I would listen to those bands more, if they would sang in English.
The overdoes of classical

Alexis enormous reputation as a guitarist is known by everyone. Also worldwide guitar-icons from Zakk Wylde to Steve Vai have marvelled at the slick fingers of punk from Espoo. The secret of Alexis playingskills is very simple: hardcore practising. Still nowadays Laiho has got patience to do some playing rehearsals.

-Training is about occasion. At row you play before gig to spend time. At home I play for pure joy of playing. I aspire to hold on the technique constantly.

The first recordings of Children Of Bodom included moreover with brawl influence from callis mucis. At the lap of 19th century the scales of classical started to slacken and have stayed away since.

- At one point it felt like all the metalbands make classical-things. It made pissed off and we threw the classic-stuff away.

Blooddrunk is 6th full-length album of the Bodomites. Every album includes important Bodom-classics that the fans want to hear. From the new album 4-5 songs will be incorporated to the setlist.

-Making a setlist begins to be fucking difficult. Its impossible to play all the important songs. But I think we manage to make some kind of set…

Keys on the forehead

The fans of Bodom can be very fanatic. Alexi Laiho doesn’t get scared for small things, but sometimes he meets exceptions that might get your hair up.

- Those guys who write the name of the band all around their body with razorblade, tattoo the faces of the players to their foreheads and ask, can I come and live with you, are quite scary. All you can say is that, yeah, nice spirit of happening but lets take a look later.

Children Of Bodom have met very few of really forbidding situations. To the stage though might time to time flit pretty odd things.

-We were on a gig somewhere and something small flit to my forehead. I pulled the gig to the end bleeding and wound in my face. I though about that later like what the fuck was it. It turned out to be a bunch of keys. How somebody can be so stupid that throws keys to the stage! Those keyes ended to some bin.

Laiho has said in some interview that he doesn’t think Children Of Bodom exist in year 2007. Now its year 2008 and its seems to go well.

- I never believed that we would stick togehter this long. I try not to think the future. If you have to think about it, let’s wait for the worst.
Blooddrunk song by song by Alexi Laiho

Hellhounds On My Trail
- Self-evident start for the album. The song doesn’t as or hesitate.

Blooddrunk
- Very different compared to previous. Works very well as a second song. Fucking agonizing, but rocks at the same time.

Lobodomy
- This digresses pretty much from our earlier songs. Its built logically but little epic. We mixed different metal-genres.

One Day You Will Cry
- Absolutely my favorite song from this album. Even though its very heavy, there’s some Miami Vice-kind of pop-melody in it.

Smile Pretty For The Devil
- Basic-Bodom. As far as I can remember the first song that was written to the album.

Tie My Rope
- This has been released before in Bam Margeras Viva La Bands vol.2 collection. Its very good promotion for us because teenagers buy anything what includes Bam. The song was re-recorded
for the album.

Done with Everything, Die For Nothing
- The song was called a long time as a pain in the ass. It felt almost impossible to get a proper song from it and it shapeshifted many times. At the end it turned out to be pretty good.

Banned From Heaven
- Its the best from our slower songs. This ends to a fucking agony scream and guitar feedback, what is great way to move to the last song.

Roadkill Morning
- My favourite song by the lyrics. It tells about horrible hangover, even worse that Im having now. I wrote these lyrics at 5am, sweaty and distressed. I started to describe the worst possible whereabouts and the result developed easily.

I barely go to our own homepage any more. I have more important things to do than worry about the three guys online hugging each other, trying to decide if I'm 'metal enough' or not."

:err:

@ Celeb: Well, I started teaching myself, from the internet and books, about 6 months ago (as there are no Finnish courses available where I live). It's a
slow process and I don't have anyone to speak it with, but I'm going to Helsinki for a week at the beginning of April, so I'll get a chance to
practise!