Coffee Table Metal

JayKeeley

Be still, O wand'rer!
Apr 26, 2002
www.royalcarnage.com
:tickled:

OK so I once told Jim at a ProgPower that his recommendations are generally the sort of albums you could leave on your coffee table without the cringe of embarrasment.

So I ask you all to keep your guilty pleasures locked away for a moment and tell me, over the last 15 years, which TEN albums would you leave laying about on your coffee table for all to witness.

So think about releases that are intellgent, smart, progressive, mature etc. You know, the top notch quality stuff that makes metal look like a respectable musical genre.

Of course, I expect the results to be entirely subjective so all opinions count!

Cynic's album, Spiral Architect,...I mean, these are obvious, but what do you do with sophisticated stuff that is visually more "offensive"? There's a lot more of that. Even though I would not count, say, Emperor amonst them, others probably would.

I don't know that just putting out the sophisticated stuff is the way to go for something like this. Is the selection supposed to impress somebody or is it supposed to reflect your tastes?

Either way, I don't know that the albums to display would be ones I want to listen to.

Cannibal Corpse's Tomb of the Mutilated and Carpathian Forest's Fuck You All!!!! need to be out there, especially if the rest are going to be "respectable" metal albums. Polite company has to know what it's dealing with.

And eight more in the spirit of what was asked:

Arcturus- La Masquerade Infernale
Atrox- Contentum
Enslaved- Eld
Fleurety- Min Tid Skal Komme
Forgotten Silence- Senyaan
Green Carnation- Light of Day, Day of Darkness
In the Woods...- HEart of the Ages
Solefald- The Linear Scaffold

I guess you're not asking for our best of.. list.
My "respectable" album list would be in no special order:

Agalloch - "The Mantle"
Cynic - "Focus"
Devin Townsend - "Terria"
Enslaved - "Below the lights"
King Crimson - "The Power to Believe"
Orphaned Land - "Mabool"
Negura Bunget - "Om"
The Mars Volta - "Frances The Mute"
Emperor - "Prometheus"
Guardian Knot - "Guardian Knot"

I don't know that just putting out the sophisticated stuff is the way to go for something like this. Is the selection supposed to impress somebody or is it supposed to reflect your tastes?

Either way, I don't know that the albums to display would be ones I want to listen to.

Fair enough, I was thinking more along the lines of educating the misinformed.

I suppose the idea behind it is to demonstrate where metal is today and whether random people can ever approach it seriously. Here's two examples of where demonstration might be apt:

1. Someone in the office asks what music you listen to. It's clear that this person doesn't know the first thing about music other than what's playing on the radio in his/her morning drive. You either (a) get out of feeling awkward by saying "hard rock", or (b) claim to like "heavy metal" and await the obvious response of "oh you mean bands like Nickleback and Korn"?

-- scenario 1, otherwise known as the "lost cause" syndrome probably wouldn't need a demonstration haha --

2. Someone who used to listen to metal when it was in the mainstream, and basically didn't chase it into the underground circa 1992. Basically, the last real metal album they might have listened to is some red neck crap like Pantera or Megadeth's "Risk". This person might need some education on how the genre's progressed.

I know LOTS of people who fit into category 2. I was at the Donington Monsters of Rock in 1988 surrounded by 110,000 British metal fans. I would guess that 90% of them didn't even know real metal was still around today.

In that regard, I bring up "coffee table" metal. This is stuff to show that metal doesn't automatically equate to Judas Priest's "Ram it Down", Nightwish, or Hammerfall. Like I said, keep the guilty pleasures out of it. :D

You see, if Jazz folks get their Miles Davis and John Coltrane, their highbrow audience and their contemporary scholars, and likewise have the subject taught at ivy leagues, alongside the usual supposed high brow classical affecianados, it would be interesting to see whether metal could gain similar respect. I know it wouldn't in reality but I'd at least be intrigued by the results of seeing how people would take to it.

An accomplished jazz pianist once told me that they were amazed when by pure chance, they came across the Hellhammer demo video on youtube. They said they had never seen or heard anything like it. I guess it was just nice to see someone 'non-metal' earn a tad more respect for something that would have otherwise gone unnoticed.

Now of course, if I was still 19 and a 'thrash metal terrorizer', I wouldn't care about all of this, ha.

Well some 'metal' is taught at certain music schools. But I know what you mean.

I doubt I could ever get a PhD based on a heavy metal thesis. But maybe I should try...

I like to get people to listen to Therion, Beyond Twilight, Dream Theater, Pain of Salvation, Virgin Steele, Opeth, Edge of Sanity, Nightingale... and then I think that Ron Jarzombek's material and even Yngwie is good to show for some different sides.

Well some 'metal' is taught at certain music schools. But I know what you mean.

I doubt I could ever get a PhD based on a heavy metal thesis. But maybe I should try...

Did you or anyone ever see the recent documentary "Metal: A Headbangers Journey"? I have to say, I was bitterly disappointed.

Firstly, the guy was supposed to be a subject matter expert in the field of anthropology, and the premise was that he would apply this to his findings.

What the heck? He listed a bunch of genres and sub-genres, of which DOOM was fucking absent. He interviewed a drunk Mayhem backstage at Wacken and talked to Ronnie James Dio about the devil horns.

What a complete waste. It was a movie for n00bs and perhaps in that regard it was ok.....but what a shame that he didn't dig deeper. People watching that will see drunks, norwegians talking about Satan, and an aging midget into swords and armor. I don't think that movie helped metal gain any serious recognition whatsoever.

I think he even ended it with, "well if you don't get it then fuck you! you're not one of us" sort of deal, at which point I cringed until my colon fell out.

I don't remember him really touching on Prog either. But yeah. I watched it. It was okay to a point. But I didn't learn anything. And I think his end conclusion showed that he really didn't figure out any answer.

Arcturus- La Masquerade Infernale
Atrox- Contentum
Enslaved- Eld
Fleurety- Min Tid Skal Komme
Forgotten Silence- Senyaan
Green Carnation- Light of Day, Day of Darkness
In the Woods...- HEart of the Ages
Solefald- The Linear Scaffold

By the way Jim, why "Eld" and not, say, "Monumension"? Also, you wouldn't consider "The August Engine" or "Novembrine Waltz" perhaps?

By the way Jim, why "Eld" and not, say, "Monumension"? Also, you wouldn't consider "The August Engine" or "Novembrine Waltz" perhaps?

Eld is my favorite Enslaved, and the cover is quite striking.

As far as other albums... there are dozens that could be there, but I wasn't going to name fifty albums. I mean, why not Sleepytime Gorilla Museum? Too many choices, and coffee tables aren't so big. :)

Besides, if someone was actually interested in listening to stuff and didn't like Atrox after a couple of minutes (and what a horrible, horrible listening environment it is to have someone there playing stuff for you and looking at you for reactions), no big deal. They don't like August Engine, I'll be wanting them to leave (quite suddenly!) through the window instead of the door.