Comb filtering?

Sickan

¯\(°_o)/¯
Jan 23, 2008
Gothenburg, Sweden
So, I moved away from my parents a couple of weeks and I was stoked to dedicate my room for mixing. I treated my room with 8 DIY basstraps (4 big in the corners, 4 smaller at reflections) and was hoping for a big improvement, only to find out that I had lost alot of bass in my mixing position (in the back of my room there is alot of bass).
Can you guys, by looking at these pictures, confirm that my bass loss is caused by comb filtering?
pess.jpg
pesss.jpg

I think you have to get a new desk, or place the monitors higher from the surface of your desk since the reflections are phasing out the direct signal... then again I might be wrong, that's why I ask :loco:

@ Sickan: From those pics I don;t think you are getting comb filtering you just might be hearing the true response of your monitors and since you have a lot of HF absorption stepping away from the sweet spot of the monitors could could exaggerate the lows. But then again we can't see your floor, but for some reason I am assuming its hardwood? Because if it is, it could be an improvement if you put a throw down rug in the middle of the room. Getting the speakers off the desk surface about 6 inches would do well, also when you have monitors vertical they seem to have less bass at the sweet spot, getting the monitors up higher and getting the crossover speakers all on the same horizontal plain will help you hear more of what the speaker is really putting out.

to test if you are really having comb filtering problems you can stand in the middle of your room and clap as loud as you can, you will hear some form of a phasey hollow fast feedback delay (undiffused reverb). That's a certain sign you have a comb filtering problem.

Could you post some pics?
Are you experiencing more bass in the back of the room than in your mixing position?

Ill have to post them tomorrow.....if you can get on my photobucket there are a couple there....im at work and cannot access it. User name is the same on there.

And yes, when i stand at the back of the room i can hear the bass Clear....sitting in the mixing position....i honestly hear almost no bass.

Stupid response incoming:
From those pics I don;t think you are getting comb filtering you just might be hearing the true response of your monitors and since you have a lot of HF absorption stepping away from the sweet spot of the monitors could could exaggerate the lows.
The reason I think it's comb filtering (not that I know that much about it) is that in my old room the monitors were placed closer to the front side of my desk and there was not the bass loss I'm experiencing now when they are at the back side of the desk.
What do you mean by "the true response of your monitors and since you have a lot of HF absorption stepping away from the sweet spot of the monitors could could exaggerate the lows."?

But then again we can't see your floor, but for some reason I am assuming its hardwood? Because if it is, it could be an improvement if you put a throw down rug in the middle of the room.
It is indeed hardwood, I have a rug in the middle of the room (and a bed in the back of the room).

Getting the speakers off the desk surface about 6 inches would do well, also when you have monitors vertical they seem to have less bass at the sweet spot, getting the monitors up higher and getting the crossover speakers all on the same horizontal plain will help you hear more of what the speaker is really putting out.
I was thinking that aswell.
Is it "safe" to place them vertically? According to the user guide it says "Place the BX8a’s vertically with the woofer on the bottom. Placing the BX8a’s horizontally is not recommended."

to test if you are really having comb filtering problems you can stand in the middle of your room and clap as loud as you can, you will hear some form of a phasey hollow fast feedback delay (undiffused reverb). That's a certain sign you have a comb filtering problem.
I have tried that since I moved here, it was alot of "phasey hollow fast feedback delay" at first but now it's not nearly as much - I don't know how much is too much tho :loco:
Thanks for your help!

The reason I think it's comb filtering (not that I know that much about it) is that in my old room the monitors were placed closer to the front side of my desk and there was not the bass loss I'm experiencing now when they are at the back side of the desk.
What do you mean by "the true response of your monitors and since you have a lot of HF absorption stepping away from the sweet spot of the monitors could could exaggerate the lows."?It is indeed hardwood, I have a rug in the middle of the room (and a bed in the back of the room).I was thinking that aswell. Is it "safe" to place them vertically? According to the user guide it says "Place the BX8a’s vertically with the woofer on the bottom. Placing the BX8a’s horizontally is not recommended." I have tried that since I moved here, it was alot of "phasey hollow fast feedback delay" at first but now it's not nearly as much - I don't know how much is too much tho :loco:
Thanks for your help!

I was saying that it may not be bass loss, considering that the old room especially if it had no acoustical treatment could have had a bass buildup (there were standing waves in the lower frequencies that were in phase and actually exaggerated the lows), its pretty rare but could happen. As soon as you added traps, especially the bass traps, the sound is being absorbed instead of reflected which gives you more of the real monitor sound an not reflections from the room. If your monitors are at least a few inches up off the desk, having them back won't do anything, what you may or may not have noticed is the human ears natural tendency of the proximity effect.

What I meant by your quote is that since you have acoustic treatment in your room, you are going to have a lot of HF absorption, as HFs are very directional and LFs are not, the highs will be absorbed while the bass since they tend to fill a room more will be more apparent or exaggerated.

Placing your monitors vertically will not physically hurt your monitors. The reason they say that is because most new monitors have a wave guide that helps disperse the HFs (although they really don't need any help in a near field situation). The BX series has a universal direction dispersion pattern, which means they disperse the same all they way around no matter how they are oriented. When you have the monitors vertical they disperse the sound at different location compared to how elevated you are compared to each crossover, when they are horizontal, no matter your elevation, the crossovers will always be the same distance to each other (that an the shape of the human ear is made to hear different sounds on a horizontal level, which means that if you were to move to the left and right to simulate the effect of having them vertical wouldn't make a difference in sound as your ears pickup sound at a narrow horizontal level, that's why you hear the sound differently if they are vertical because the other crossovers are not the in that narrow field. Setting the speakers up horizontally sets up all the crossovers in that same field. Also if you notice the majority of producers, audio engineers have their monitors setup horizontally on their consoles, usually because the speakers would sit to high but to also disperse the same frequencies over the same narrow horizontal band in which we hear.

Some of the phasiness is ok, your not going to get rid of it even with acoustic treatment if you have many parallel walls and 90 degree surfaces, a little is fine, your best bet is that if you sit in your attended spot of mixing, clap your hands and the phasiness sound more light and ambient (not directly in front of you) its fine, as that will only cause bass cancellation if you don't have bass traps, get the bass traps behind you (the direction the monitors are pointing the sound) and in the corners of the room. If you can walk around and clap, find where the echo/cancellation is coming from and add HF treatment, it will sound like you are in between two solid concrete wall and clapped really loud, we all know what that sounds like. The area where that gets the loudest and where you feel that you are caught in the middle of the bouncing sound, place your treatment on those two adjacent walls that the bouncing sound is coming from. Its usually the two walls that are parallel to the monitors (the walls to your left and right) that cause the phase issue, but HF treatment needs to be done a little to the front and back of your mixing position.

Thanks alot for your reply! :worship:

I was saying that it may not be bass loss, considering that the old room especially if it had no acoustical treatment could have had a bass buildup (there were standing waves in the lower frequencies that were in phase and actually exaggerated the lows), its pretty rare but could happen. As soon as you added traps, especially the bass traps, the sound is being absorbed instead of reflected which gives you more of the real monitor sound an not reflections from the room. If your monitors are at least a few inches up off the desk, having them back won't do anything, what you may or may not have noticed is the human ears natural tendency of the proximity effect.

The thing is that in the back of my room, and if I stand on my chair in the mixing position (which is why thought of comb filtering) there is more bass, like under 80Hz.

Placing your monitors vertically will not physically hurt your monitors. The reason they say that is because most new monitors have a wave guide that helps disperse the HFs (although they really don't need any help in a near field situation). The BX series has a universal direction dispersion pattern, which means they disperse the same all they way around no matter how they are oriented. When you have the monitors vertical they disperse the sound at different location compared to how elevated you are compared to each crossover, when they are horizontal, no matter your elevation, the crossovers will always be the same distance to each other (that an the shape of the human ear is made to hear different sounds on a horizontal level, which means that if you were to move to the left and right to simulate the effect of having them vertical wouldn't make a difference in sound as your ears pickup sound at a narrow horizontal level, that's why you hear the sound differently if they are vertical because the other crossovers are not the in that narrow field. Setting the speakers up horizontally sets up all the crossovers in that same field. Also if you notice the majority of producers, audio engineers have their monitors setup horizontally on their consoles, usually because the speakers would sit to high but to also disperse the same frequencies over the same narrow horizontal band in which we hear.

That's great to hear, I'll try to place them horizontal and elevate them a bit from the desk (to get the tweeters at ear level)!

Some of the phasiness is ok, your not going to get rid of it even with acoustic treatment if you have many parallel walls and 90 degree surfaces, a little is fine, your best bet is that if you sit in your attended spot of mixing, clap your hands and the phasiness sound more light and ambient (not directly in front of you) its fine, as that will only cause bass cancellation if you don't have bass traps, get the bass traps behind you (the direction the monitors are pointing the sound) and in the corners of the room. If you can walk around and clap, find where the echo/cancellation is coming from and add HF treatment, it will sound like you are in between two solid concrete wall and clapped really loud, we all know what that sounds like. The area where that gets the loudest and where you feel that you are caught in the middle of the bouncing sound, place your treatment on those two adjacent walls that the bouncing sound is coming from. Its usually the two walls that are parallel to the monitors (the walls to your left and right) that cause the phase issue, but HF treatment needs to be done a little to the front and back of your mixing position.

My roof isn't treated at all, I'm thinking of putting some kind of HF absortion there (and maybe a bit more in the back of the room... and maybe in the top "corners" of the room :loco:).

hey
i notice your monitors are on the desk,
just as a reminder
you should make sure your monitors tweeters are at ear level
but im sure u knew that.

i had those monitors before
they werent very good

ttry the deluxe bx5a's
i think thats what their called
their the black / black verion
they sound great in my room
and i have treatment and such carefully placed by using "the mirror trick"