Combining Synth With Hardcore

submersed

<B>HTML RULEZ D00D</B>
Sep 29, 2009
www.twitter.com
I took some general music lessons (quite a few actually) when I was much younger (vocal and piano), and unfortunately have forgotten all of the theory I learned, aside from a very basic understanding. I wish I had retained what I learned because now I am trying to make use of it.

I'm trying to combine synth and keys with a metal/hardcore style and am having difficulty matching the two together. For example, I'm playing in drop D, and am trying to compose a breakdown with synth added in, but it's just not sounding 'right'. I believe that this is because it is out of key. I'm not a great guitarist, I wouldn't be able to tell you anything theory wise aside from which tuning I'm playing in. I know that I need to fix that, I'm just having trouble doing it.

What steps should I be taking to improve? What practical tips can you give me that will help me with this combination?

Thanks.

Remember that some synths are out of tune by design, made to widen a doubled synth part - the main melody is in A440, while the secondary (out of tune one) is +/- a few cents to create a special effect to the sound, a bit like an elaborate chorus. You can usually also adjust the pitch of the synth within the instrument settings, so you can tune the instrument back to A440.

This, of course, if the out of placeness is because of pitch issues.

Just to point out, in case this is not obvious.....tuning has absolutely nothing to do with what key you are in. You could be be tuned to "x" and be playing in a totally different key/tonality. In order to give tips in terms of what will be best from a compositional perspective, you should explain what key or tonality you are playing in for that particular section.

Just to point out, in case this is not obvious.....tuning has absolutely nothing to do with what key you are in. You could be be tuned to "x" and be playing in a totally different key/tonality. In order to give tips in terms of what will be best from a compositional perspective, you should explain what key or tonality you are playing in for that particular section.

+1

I just gave an example of D Minor because very many bands I hear in the hardcore/metal genre who are tuned to Drop D or C, play in D Minor or C Minor. NOT ALL though, but quite a handle of them.

So yeah, what key are you playing in? If you don't know, post your gtr recording and I'll give a crack at it. :kickass:

Are you playing in D minor, F major? Then play the notes within that key.

D Minor
Use D, E, F, G, A, A#, C, D

F Major
Use F, G, A, Bb, C, D, E, F

Learn the Circle of Fifths =)

So, do most bands play entire albums in the same key? Do songs commonly have key changes in them? And if I'm using D-Minor, I would use nothing but those notes on the fretboard, as well as those notes on the keyboard when recording midi for synth parts?

Does it matter what I use where? For example, I'm using chords containing F, C, F, and then G, D, C. When doing synth, will any note in that key sound decent, or would it specifically need to be starting with F, and then G, for the appropriate parts? Or is it more about 'whatever sounds good'?

Study other hardcore synth music. A good one for D Minor is The Devil Wears Prada (except their few last songs in drop C, C minor)

Study, study, study,
experiment, practice, and practice some more! ha

It'll come back to ya :)

and some bands do have key changes, some dont.

you shouldnt have restrictions, but your goal is a final damn good product and song, whether or not you are playing in straight D Minor, or switching keys, times, or having fun with Melodic and Harmonic keys! :D

IMO there is no shortcut to learning this, you've just got to do it. You've tried trial an error and it's not working for you, now it's time to learn some theory. Once you understand musically what you are doing on you guitar you'll have no problem applying it to keyboards.