Designing the "right" synth sound

talking about this synthesizer thing, ive always trying to figure out the ones tht were used in InFlames album or perhaps Soilwork.

... how do synthz? ¯(°_o)/¯

Well I would just post a clip of the synth sound alone, not in the song, because 2 days is long. :Smokin:

Yea well... gotta swing by the rehearsal place tomorrow and get the examples so you guys can listen. However, that particular synth sound I have right now is not necessarily final by any means, it was just to have something to get inspiration from. It could turn into anything now that I have some guitars that cover the base of the song... if everything fails, I can always do some weird guitarsynth type of thing and just ignore using a synth there at all, we'll see :)

Anyhow, I'll have clips to upload within the next 20 hours...zzzz....

Hey Gojira, have you tried Synth1 or any of the GTG free synths ? pretty damn awesomes for free !!!
http://sonictransfer.com/synth1-free-vst-synthesizer.shtml
http://www.gtgsynths.com/plugins.htm
try'em, I can't be that deaf :lol:
H0W D0 L15T3N To WU51C ?

I have Synth1, but I've never actually used it. I've always liked complex shit with lots of envelopes and modulation routing and crap so I kinda jumped into Crystal :D But I will definately give Synth1 a go! Thanks for reminding me Jacare =)

About GTG, I've never heard of 'em. I'll check 'em out right away! Thanks for the tip man.

About GTG, I've never heard of 'em. I'll check 'em out right away! Thanks for the tip man.

No prob pal :)
I think that we should spread the word for what is good (And if you come up with some cool sounds, remember of sending me a preset:danceboy:)

One way you can get some definition between keys and guitars is to use ambient stereo FX on keys like reverb or similar while keeping the guitars as dry as possible.
Also stereo pad key sounds period will add depth even if the same frequencies are shared by the guitar tracks.

No prob pal :)
I think that we should spread the word for what is good (And if you come up with some cool sounds, remember of sending me a preset:danceboy:)

I sure will! I downloaded a ton of stuff today from KVR... I'll be busy over the weekend, and hopefully I can filter out the good stuff and "report" back here :)

One way you can get some definition between keys and guitars is to use ambient stereo FX on keys like reverb or similar while keeping the guitars as dry as possible.
Also stereo pad key sounds period will add depth even if the same frequencies are shared by the guitar tracks.

Now that's a good tip! Informing about dry guitars with wet synths... good thinking.

I haven't gotten any time to swing by the rehearsal place yet but I'll do that tomorrow and I sure as hell will be trying that among other things!

Yeah, well, I read everywhere that rhythm guitars should be dry as a desert. :p

And I personally prefer delay then reverb. But it depends.

And for pads like the warm pad I tend to pan very closely to the center otherwise it gets too big imho.

For something more like a squarish lead I tend to treat it like a lead guitar and I usually put 2 different sounds. There is this one song where it is a squarish minimoogy lead around R45 and a polysynth for the same part at around L45. And I tend to pan the lead guitars at L and R30.

Orchestra hits and timpanis I pan near the center.

Strings I use 2 sounds and pan them around L and R60. Btw I use stereo sounds 90% of the time. And for the 2 string sounds I use one more airy, with not a lot of attack, but it's like, dreamy? And the other has a lot of attack and much dryer. I put distortion in the "attacking strings" because otherwise they sound too clean to my taste. I enjoy strings like Sirenia and Tristania more then... Kamelot? And I don't try to recreate a real orchestra, I just want a cool sound. :p

But of course it all depends. Sometimes I use sitar as a rhythm part and sometimes as a lead part. I won't treat them the same. And with guitars the rhythm are hard left and right and the leads closer to the center and I tend to do the opposite with the synths. Except for the strings.

And it seems there is a very big imaginary mental thing to take into consideration. Like, metalheads want BIG guitars and smaller synth sounds 99,99% of the time. But a string orchestra is much bigger then a guitar player IRL. So for me, who is a keyboardist before anything else, must be careful with that. You don't want a piano to be bigger or fuller or richer or then metal guitars. ( my vocabulary might be pretty poor btw ). So usually for piano I take off some low frequencies. And for the piano I use to think I should put a lot of reverb but now I much prefer to put no reverb but I increase the release. I think it sounds less muddy.
For harpischord, I do something similar. And if I want those 2 instruments to sound more "space" after I put delay. But if you put too much release it will sound muddy as hell.

I love "bright/crystal" kinda pads and I adore how they sound in Eternal Tears of Sorrow's album A Virgin and a Whore. You cannot really make out all the notes even though the part seems not very easy, but it's so everywhere and not over the metal band that, dunno, I never reached their sound. :p But I guess they use a pan lfo ( which makes the sound go left to right ) with delay and maybe other stuff. yeah. :p Stuff is cool.

I don't like rock organs and other types of organs except the church organ. I think church organs are real bitches. :p The volume of playing one note is usually veeeeery different then when you play a chord. And usually church organs sound too wimpy. So I add some distortion and take off some low frequencies otherwise it may sound more bassy then the bass.

I like harp. :p Again, I take off some lower frequencies and I don't put reverb, I put a bigger release. And if still dosn't sound spacey enough, delay. And if I think it sounds too harpy ( sometimes it happens with a harp ) I put another sound, like, some sort of bright/crystal pad thingy.

Brasses also suck usually. Only one sound of brass sucks ass big time. It never sounds like the big brass ensemble trumpeting something before the soldiers march or something. They usually sound like fisher-price games even when you paid a lot of money for it. So I put 2 or 3 different type of brass. Usually I compose more lead parts for such sounds so I tend to go more with trumpet sounds then tuba sounds. But if I want to go all the way with it and the darn brasses are very important in the song I will duplicate the track, transpose it into different octaves, use trumpets, tuba, trombone and a french horn. Sometimes add distortion to one of the highest parts to add some attack and aggressivity. And if the brassy part is less important in the song I will duplicate one or two times depending and will use 2 different types of trumpets. Sometimes I add a polysynth to add some body.

And etc, etc. I read somewhere on this forum in a drum topic that if you want your toms to sound higher and your kick to sound lower ( stereophonically ) you have to lower the low and higher the highs to make it go up and the opposite to make it sound down. And usually metal bands want the band under and the synth higher.

And I think that if your guitar, bass, drums and vocals sound AMAZING and modern and all you can make some synths sound like they are coming out of a 1953 radio.

So basically, from my point of view, there are rhythmic keyboards, leads, and percussive.
And when I say percussive I mean timpanis and orchestra hits, nothing wimpy. :Smug: Rhythmic close to the center, percussive also, and lead more out.

The way I compose strings it would be too big of a hassle to select which part is rhythm and which is lead. But since I already have my airy string AND my attacking strings then I can also simply mute one of them if one part has too much attack for example, or vice-versa.

If one sound sounds too little, wimpy, boring, fragile and bleh I duplicate and put another sound.
If it makes the song sound muddy I remove some low frequencies.
If I think there should be reverb I put a bigger release. If I think it's still not spacey enough I add delay.
I use to be a big fan of reverb until I realized it usually sucks. :p
For the percussive I tend to make them mono, like a drum track.
For the rhythms I use mostly stereo. Especially for pads where the sound evolves. When the sound evolves = stereo necessarily.
But if for a rhythmic part I had the "great" idea of using a harp and a sitar together, there are good chances they will be both mono.
For lead parts it depends on the sound and plugin. And I personally prefer when it feels like the synths are coming out of this place :

http://www.photoshoptalent.com/imag...e/fullsize/old castle_4762d3407a25b_hires.jpg

Instead of this place :

http://www.dent.unc.edu/depts/academic/ped/images/clinic.jpg

So some distortion can be cool for that. I never tried the TSS on strings but now that I think of it, it should be nice. And I never tried the church organ in the boogex. I am not a mega pro you know. :p But I spent more time playing with vsti then real instruments.

And if you want that tututukutatakata techno'ish sound bands like In Flames and Soilwork seem to be using ( or like Needled 24/7 from COB I guess ), the idea is to get a squarish/rectangular lead sound and automote the osciallators of your choice. Or get absynth and do stuff with it. And here is what MC Raaka Pee from Turmion Katilot says he used for the album USCH, which totally kicks many asses.

I used logic's softsynths in this album, instead of hardware. You cannot find the sounds from presets, because they all are made all over again from the first waveform to the last. Anyway in Pakanamaan Kartta: only ESX24 Sampler (5 different patterns), and ES2 (4 different sound variations). So the synths are in 9 tracks. In live Run-Q uses Korg Triton Extreme.

And another song with super cool synth sounds. :p

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INUu_dUlXDI&feature=related[/ame]

And here is Sirenia whom I mentioned, and imho not all their songs/albums are good, but they are the ones who made me think my strings should probably sound more like a 1953 radio :

Tristania ( with a very bad sound ) :

Eternal Tears of Sorrow ( intro with the bright/crystal kinda pad )

It's been a while I didn't listen to that ETOS song and now I hear piano in the darn bright pad! pfft. :p But there is a pad in there with delay! :p

Those are some of the types of synth sounds ( and philosophy? ) I love.

So yeah, that's my gibberish for the night. And btw it is possible that I may think differently in 6 months or so. :p And I'm sure some people know much more and are way better then me.

Last edited by a moderator:
OH MY GOD MAMMOTH POST BRAIN CAN'T COMPUTE

Seriously, I'm sure there's great info in there dude, and thanks - but paragraphs PLEASE!!! :erk:

Meh, there's not really any great info.

Just put more then one sound for the same part

pan them under R50 and L50 but there are exceptions to every rule

take off some lower frequencies

Use a bigger release instead of reverb

If not spacey enough use delay

Distortion can be cool

Moonlight_Seeker, that was a darn nice bunch of info even if it was a bit hard to read. But this is exactly what I wanted... just general pointers for anything and everything and you covered a lot of ground with that post :D

It never occured to me that I should treat synths a bit like guitars in the way with panning, using different sounds etc. I've always tried to get a really cool and complex sound from ONE synth instead of using several and combining them etc. I guess it has to do with the fact that I'm a bit limited in the computing power though, since I'm only running on an AMD X2 4500+ and while I'm writing songs I run on 64 samples latency which limits me to like 2 guitar tracks (with the full production chain though, so what I hear is what I get) and like a drum sampler and one or two synths, then my CPU goes insane :D

Also the part about using longer release instead of adding reverb was pretty cool, definately something worth thinking about. I think I'll go ahead and save this thread and bring it with me to my rehearsal place for some testing and studying :) Thanks a bunch dude!

Well, pfft, I shall edit with bigger paragraph spaces then. :p But I also wonder if there are too many vids.

But those are things I do in general, but each sound has its own thing. And since there are probably more then 10000 sounds, if there actually can be a number, well each sound deserves its treatment.

I noticed that many people generally pan keyboards way above 50% and it annoys me a bit. And I think that putting 2 sounds, or more, for one part is a very similar idea to double tracking or quad tracking a guitar. But not because of the little tiny "unthightyness", like, I am mixing real guitars since not very long and they are double tracked and once I spent many minutes trying to find ONE good guitar sound while the other was muted, then did the same thing with the other guitar while the other was muted, the 2 sounds were good alone then I unmuted and the new "double sound" really sucked. Chocolate and milk goes well together but chocolate and orange juice = bleeeeh. hehe. So its for a richer sound I guess, and also because if you have 2 sounds you don't have to blast the volume or whatever to hear it.

But the panning should be the reverse of the guitars! Rhythms near the center.

In order to fully experiment with the synth sounds with a wimpy computer :)P) I would advice to mix your metal band normally, export the project, import it in a new project where you can play as much as you want with the synths, export the synths and import it in the original project. Because experimenting in unknown fields when the cpu is going insane sucks ass and is not very productive imho. And that is if you compose the metal band first and the synths after.

edit : But of course sometimes you can get a good sound using one complex sound. There is no law like in metal guitars I would say, or drums. Panning a snare L92 is pretty stupid. That's what I mean by "law". I don't have the biggest Townsend knowledge but according to my memory his sounds are veeeeery airy and veeeeery rhythmic and they sound like a cloud kinda. :p So maybe he only uses one sound for those airy synths, but if I had to do that sound I would try a mix of an airy string or 2 and an airy pad or 2 because the attack, decay, sustain and release will all be different and therefore the final result will not sound clinical.

Awesome, thanks :)

Yea I think I'll need to do that... great thing that you can render stem tracks in Reaper and bypass the original, to save some CPU without hassling around with different projects and stuff. Almost as convenient as the "Freeze Track" function in Ableton Live =)

Btw, guess I can post this link in here as well but for anyone interested (now that we're talking VST instruments), I found this CVPiano made by Tascam, for free:

The audio is from CVPiano but it's not linked to what the guy is doing in the "tutorial". It doesn't sound bad for free shit, right? o_O

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah dude, thanks for that! I've really wanted to get back into doing more synthy stuff (check out "Racing the Night" on my myspace in my sig if you want, I wrote/recorded it a couple of years ago and am still really proud of it!), so I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread! I gotta say, one thing I miss about my pirated version of Cubase SX 2 is the stock synth sounds; some of them were really good! (everything in Racing the Night is stock Cubase synth presets!)

Are you planning on re-recording that or doing more of that stuff Marcus? It could become quite cool, honestly :) I'm interested in something like that too... but my problem is that I want to do everything at the same time so I never get anything done... sigh. :)

I have an assload of free plugins an' stuff to test, it's probably gonna take ages and I don't know when I will have time for it, but expect this thread to blow up when I'm done with that, as I will be reporting which ones I thought were inspiring/good sounding/easy etc. I also got CVPiano to work... it has some issues with SP3 apparently but there is a guide on the net about it, both on Cubase forums and on KVR. If anyone is trying CVPiano and can't get it to work, there is a link HERE and it's very easy to get it working.

Im still messing around with Reason and Massive, Im trying to design some low growly patches to be underneath guitars, just like straight 8th notes jumping around. Kinda Soilwork/In Flames-ish stuff. I wish i had the time (and the midi controller) to mess around a little more.

I've never tried Reason but I remember I sort of liked Massive when I was "trying it before buying it" :) I agree on the growly 8th note thingy, I definately will need to design some patch like that in whatever synth I end up using! They're really cool when they pan around and filter up and down and stuff, gives a nice detail to the sound.

Moonlight Seeker, thanks for all the info. i'm gonna have to go through and read it all again, but there was alot to think about and try out. i'm currently messing around with synths to add ambience and depth, but i know that when done well, they can really take a track to the next level. i appreciate all your shared insight, i've got alot to play with and think about now :kickass:

I wish I could find a tutorial/book to tell me what all the common controls on most synths do :erk: (like the way I learned what "threshold," "ratio," "attack/release" etc. on a compressor do). Someone maybe wanna write one? :saint: