Comic Book Dorks Unite!

I thought it worked on multiple levels. It payed homage to the original Simon and Kirby character as well as the Millar and Hitch revamp from the Ultimates. The casting was great too, in that a lot of new faces got a chance to shine, rather than a Hollywood who's who (Tommy Lee Jones and Samuel L. Jackson aside). The story was fun, the pace was perfect, and it had a great mix of nostalgic adventure (think The Rocketeer and Raiders of the Lost Ark) and modern blockbuster elements. I even got a little Inglorious Basterds vibe from Cap's version of the Howling Commandos.

It wasn't some Dark Knight-style brooding or cereberal film, but that is obviously not what it was supposed to be. I tend not to expect high art from my superhero flicks.

I thought the same. This movie was all it should be nothing more, nothing less. Some of my favorite ,o,emts were the nods to the early Capt.

I should also add that I think that the first Hulk movie was great. The second one had some excellent moments (and Edward Norton was awesome), but the Hulk fight scenes were not too great (the CGI just didn't work for me).

I should also add that I think that the first Hulk movie was great. The second one had some excellent moments (and Edward Norton was awesome), but the Hulk fight scenes were not too great (the CGI just didn't work for me).

Couldn't agree more. I LOVED the first Hulk! The CGI was unreal, loved the comic transitions, and the philosophical undertones. Looking forward to seeing Captain America.

I like it more than most. Ang Lee made a risky movie with the property and I think it mostly pays off. That being said, I dislike the ending to the movie, which personally I thought comes off as silly.

Looks like I will be seeing Cap tonight, so I get the trifecta of Marvel films this year.

I like it more than most. Ang Lee made a risky movie with the property and I think it mostly pays off. That being said, I dislike the ending to the movie, which personally I thought comes off as silly.

Looks like I will be seeing Cap tonight, so I get the trifecta of Marvel films this year.

Agree. Let us know what you thought, of course without giving the story away if you could pweeze:)

Captain America was fucking incredible! I'm going to see it again next week. He's been my favorite since I was in grade school. It's finally nice to have Cap in a proper film instead of the campy tv movies from the 80's and 1990. Hugo Weaving was perfect as the Red Skull. I hated him five seconds into his appearance in the movie. LOL!

Captain America was fucking incredible! I'm going to see it again next week. He's been my favorite since I was in grade school. It's finally nice to have Cap in a proper film instead of the campy tv movies from the 80's and 1990. Hugo Weaving was perfect as the Red Skull. I hated him five seconds into his appearance in the movie. LOL!

hugo weaving is so awesome as a villian that somebody (that knows me) had absolutely no idea who the hell Captain America was and still showed up to the movie just to see "Agent Smith" as the villian in a new movie

also
i agree with you
Captain America Movie was Awesome
i've been waiting to see a good Captain America Movie since that crappy one in 1990, and Marvel delivered

I'm here I'm here!!

Big old school X-Men fan. Basically, I'm a nerd about everything that happened before the year 2002 came and f'ed up everything. After that, I took a big hiatus from comics because I was disenchanted by Rogue suddenly kissing Colossus out of f'ing nowhere, and becan focusing on college. Then the band happened. I've recently gotten back into the swing of things, and it seems I've missed a lot.. but when I look back at what I missed, I'm not impressed. They depowered a bunch of my faves, married Storm off to the Black Panther, killed Banshee, and made Cyclops date the White Queen. It's too much, for me. So, I decided to go another route..

i hear you, the stuff you mentioned pissed me off too, can't read X-Men anymore, it's just gotten too weird, i've always been a harcore Spiderman fan, (i learned how to read younger than normal, reading the words in Spiderman comics)
and i ALMOST followed you to DC when THIS happened

http://comics.ign.com/articles/712/712772p1.html

but then, they fixed it

http://scifiblock.com/reviews/comics/the-amazing-spider-man-641.htm

I love a lot of the DC characters, but it's not as easy to jump in there, what with all of the crossovers and other events.

the only DC characters i really like
A
the TV series Smallville, i love Smallville because for the first time in Superman's history, Clark Kent is finnally done right, i absolutely love how they made Tom Welling's character look like Peter Parker, Dean Cain's Kent was allright, and i know i'm gonna get flack for this but i absolutely HATED Christopher Reeves' version of Clark Kent, and a huge part of the reason i didn't like Superman Returns was the Clark Kent scenes where Brandon Routh was such a spectacular actor who was amazingly able to make an absolute perfect copy of something that i totally hated when i saw it 20 years earlier
B
are the Batman story arcs where Bruce wayne goes up against villians that actually have superpowers, like Bane, Killer Croc and Clayface all having superhuman strength and man-bat's 8-foot wingspan, the composite superman having all the powers of all the legion of superheros, the demon Neron, and other demons, and pyrokinetic people where he's not really a cop-with-a-mask type character like a hundred different trench-coat wearing guys that were published in the 1920s
in these stories he's just a base-line human going into an unfair fight against meta-humans with the very real possibility of death, and he shows up anyway, because he's crazy like that, in these stories, it's not Bruce Wayne wearing a mask, Bruce Wayne is the mask
it's these types of Batman stories that make me love Rorshach from the Watchmen, i didn't mention Watchmen at the top because it's a graphic novel instead of an ongoing series

Why won't they leave my Ultimate Universe alone? It wasn't broken, and didn't need fixing. What next, a vampire Daredevil? Oh wait...

PROBLEMS I HAVE WITH THE ULTIMATES UNIVERSE

space aliens came to earth at the beginig of WWII, the aliens side with the Nazis, then Captain America kills all the Aliens, thus allowing America to win WWII, Rogue killed Gambit, collosus is gay, nightcrawler is homophobic, the female x-men think spiderman is sexy, including kitty pryde actually dating spiderman, scorpion, venom and carnage are all clones of peter parker, Carnage (instead of green goblin) is the one who kills gwen stacy, gwen stacy somehow came back from the dead, (gwen is alive and witnesses peter parker dying) iceman and pyro living in aunt may's house,) Rogue permantly absorbs Gambit's powers, rogue managed to turn off her power-absorbtion-power and lost her virginity with iceman, then the Ultimatum Wave Story Arc killed off a bunch of the specific people that i would have kept alive forever, and after the ultimatum wave, spiderman's comic instantly becomes to complicated to follow what the hell is going on, then peter parker died, then a half-black-half-latino kid puts on the spiderman costume (does he even have any super powers? or is he just a guy in a suit like Batman/IronMan? is he a second person with Spiderman's powers like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezekiel_Sims ?
in Earth 616, Daredevil and Punisher are bad-ass bigshot protagonist heroes, in the ultimates universe they are reduced to being nothing more than crappy done guest characters in the spiderman title
and now you mention a vampire daredevil???
are the writers of ultimate marvel tripping on acid?

PROBLEMS I HAVE WITH THE ULTIMATES UNIVERSE

space aliens came to earth at the beginig of WWII, the aliens side with the Nazis, then Captain America kills all the Aliens, thus allowing America to win WWII, Rogue killed Gambit, collosus is gay, nightcrawler is homophobic, the female x-men think spiderman is sexy, including kitty pryde actually dating spiderman, scorpion, venom and carnage are all clones of peter parker, Carnage (instead of green goblin) is the one who kills gwen stacy, gwen stacy somehow came back from the dead, (gwen is alive and witnesses peter parker dying) iceman and pyro living in aunt may's house,) Rogue permantly absorbs Gambit's powers, rogue managed to turn off her power-absorbtion-power and lost her virginity with iceman, then the Ultimatum Wave Story Arc killed off a bunch of the specific people that i would have kept alive forever, and after the ultimatum wave, spiderman's comic instantly becomes to complicated to follow what the hell is going on, then peter parker died, then a half-black-half-latino kid puts on the spiderman costume (does he even have any super powers? or is he just a guy in a suit like Batman/IronMan? is he a second person with Spiderman's powers like http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ezekiel_Sims ?
in Earth 616, Daredevil and Punisher are bad-ass bigshot protagonist heroes, in the ultimates universe they are reduced to being nothing more than crappy done guest characters in the spiderman title
and now you mention a vampire daredevil???
are the writers of ultimate marvel tripping on acid?

See, I liked all that stuff until the Ultimatum thing. If I wanted the same old Marvel, I'd have stuck with the "616" titles. The Ultimate line was unconventional and more interesting. Then they blew it up.

'Fraid so. It was a new DD, and he was turned into a vampire and later killed. See: Ultimate Avengers: Blade vs. the Avengers.

Vampire Daredevil was an Avenger???
Blade killed Daredevil???
Blade VS the Avengers???
again
are the writers of Ultimate marvel tripping on acid?

in earth 616 blade knows about mutants and human mutates and villian guys with futuristic tech
but he decides to let the superero people handle the supervillians
in a conversation he has with another character earth 616 blade tells someone "if it doesn't involve vampires, it's not my fight" i think this quote happens in one of blade's first few appearances, it explains why he only fights vampires and doesn't fight supervillians
what could Blade possibly have against the avengers??? what happened???

See, I liked all that stuff until the Ultimatum thing. If I wanted the same old Marvel, I'd have stuck with the "616" titles. The Ultimate line was unconventional and more interesting. Then they blew it up.

the other stuff i could have tolerated
but i'm still pissed that gambit, Scarlet Witch, wolverine, magneto, and Cyclops died
and i'm still pissed that daredevil died (even if he was a vampire) and that whole weird thing of scarlet witch and cyclops being shot with the same bullet, that was weird

also
enough time had passed that they could have left frank castle's tour of duty in the military intact by just de-aging him and shifting his period of experiencing combat from vietnam into dessert storm
but instead of doing that, they just erased his military experience and refered to him as a cop instead of FBI

THERE IS SOMETHING I REALLY LIKED ABOUT ULTIMATEMEARVEL

"captain Stacy" being a police captain, instead of a military captain, that was a really cool change because it was used to explain why ultimate captain stacy keeps constantly interacting with the people that are the same age as his daughter, when military captain stacy was constantly interacting with people the same age as his daughter, it always looked really odd, they took something that looked odd, and they made it look better