Comp or MultiComp when sidechainning kick and bass?

narcossintese

Nov 4, 2008
Brazil
www.myspace.com
When you sidechain the kick and the bass, do you use a regular compressor to duck the entire bass signal or a multiband compressor acting only on the problematic overlapping frequency range between the bass and kick?

yeah thats interesting... I use just a normal compressor with sidechain. but thats because I dont have another one. is there any multicomp vst that has sidechain?

To the OP: the 2nd solution is more logic one, of course, because obviously, bass guitar and kick don't overlap in all freq. bands. I don't use bass-kick ducking for metal (did it few times with a regular compressor and didn't like it). I see how multi comp could provide better results, so try it, it won't hurt you ;)

I always split up my bass signal in two tracks for separate processing on highs and lows anyways. So I just sidechain-compress the BassLow track with the kick.

Reaper can do this easily for free. Just need to use the included fx BandSplitter, ReaComp and then BandJoiner.
This way you isolate the frequency you want to compress with BandSplitter, route it to ReaComp to compress it and then send it back with BandJoiner.

narco, I usually end up using just a regular comp IF i sidechain (which is not frequent). But with a multiband you can always just compress the 50˜100hz area, where they always collide, so that may be a bonus.

Yeah, I was thinkin I was being too much nerd about it. I did some tests ducking the entire signal or duckin only the problematic overlapping range and I couldn´t really tell the difference. Then I had two choices:

a) Trust my ears and just use the regular comp
b) See what you forum folks usually do
:lol:

narco, on faster stuff, I don't like how ducking the entire signal sounds. It is just too much 'up and down' on the bass, even if it is subtle. In this situation, i think a multiband comp would work better imho.